Current Affairs September 2, 2017
1. RajaswaGyanSangam 2017
- Prime Minister NarendraModi has inaugurated RajaswaGyanSangam 2017, a conference of senior tax administrators at VigyanBhawan, New Delhi.
- The two days conference was jointly organized by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
- The conference was organized to facilitate two-way communication between policy makers and senior officers in field offices with an aim to increase revenue collection and to ensure effective implementation of law and policies in the concerned areas.
2. Assam extended AFSPA
- Assam Government for the first time has extended Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA),1958 on its own by declaring entire state a disturbed area for six more months under section 3 of the act.
- In the past AFSPA provisions were always extended by Centre in the State.
- The State Government has taken this decision due to ongoing violence by the different underground groups resulting in the deaths of civilians, security personnel and militants.
Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), 1958:
- Parliament enacted AFSPA in 1958 to empower Central and State Governments to declare any area as ‘disturbed’ due to disputes between the members of different caste, communities and religions.
- The act empowers the officers of Army, Central and State police forces to shoot any suspect, search and destroy any suspected hide-out. It also protects army personnel against any frivolous prosecution.
- Right now AFSPA is in force in six states viz. Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Meghalaya.
3. Sports ministry approves Empowered Steering Committee
- Keeping in mind the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games and other multi-disciplinary events, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has approved the establishment of 13-member Empowered Steering Committee (ESC).
- The decision to form this committee has been taken on the recommendations of Olympic Task Force headed by Abhinav Bindra.
- The ESC Chairperson will be appointed by the Government.
- The Committee will give recommendations beneficial for India’s preparation for Commonwealth, Asian and Olympic Games. It will also review the annual calendar for training and competition and will also provide specific recommendations.
4. FTA talks between India and EFTA
- India and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) has decided to negotiate on their long pending Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
- FTA between India and EFTA includes goods and services, investments, trade facilitation and custom cooperation with a key aim to enhance the economic ties.
European Free Trade Association (EFTA):
- Established in 1960 through Stockholm Convention, EFTA is a regional organization and free trade area consisting of four European countries viz. Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein serving as an alternative trade block for all those European countries which are not willing to join European Union.
5. Adani group’s collaboration with SAAB for defence manufacturing
- Adani group has announced its collaboration with the Swedish aerospace and Defence company SAAB for the design, development and production of single engine Gripen fighter jet under ‘Make in India’ campaign.
6. National Nutrition Week: 1 to 7th September
- The National Nutrition Week will be observed from 1 to 7th September throughout the country to spread awareness on the importance of nutrition for the health which is very crucial for the development, economic growth, productivity which leads to National development.
- The theme for this year is ‘Optimal Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices Better Child Health’.
7. Ahmedabad’s walled city gets World Heritage City Certificate
- 600 years old walled city in the Ahmedabad has been provided with the status of India’s first World Heritage City by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
- Founded by Ahmed Shah in the 15th century, the walled city of Ahmedabad is situated on the banks of Sabarmati river representing the rich architectural heritage from the sultanate period.
- 28 monuments in the city are protected by Archaelogical Survey of India.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!