1. Government to infuse Rs 8,655 crore in Allahabad Bank, IOB and UCO Bank.
- The Government of India approved the release of Rs 8,655 crore as fresh capital to three public sector banks. The bank includes Allahabad Bank, Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) and UCO Bank. The infusion did for preferential allotment of shares.
- The Fresh capital amounting to Rs 2,153 crore allocated to Allahabad Bank, Rs 2,142 crore to UCO Bank and Rs 4,630 crore to Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) for preferential allotment of shares.
About Allahabad Bank
CEO: S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao
CEO: Shri Karnam Sekar
Founder: M. Ct. M. Chidambaram Chettyar
CEO: Atul Kumar Goel
2. All new Railway recruits to be inducted through UPSC civil services exams.
- The Railway Board has now decided that all new recruits in railways will be inducted through UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) Civil Services Exams under five specialities.
- The decision comes days after the Union Cabinet approved big-ticket reforms in the railways by merging its eight cadres and department services into one single entity- the Indian Railway Management Service (IRMS).
- This decision to merge services was to ensure that officers put railways first instead of their service which had become the case under the present system.
Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal
3. England’s Football World Cup winner Martin Peters passes away.
- Former West Ham and Tottenham midfielder Martin Peters, who scored England’s second goal in the 1966 World Cup final against West Germany, passed away.
- He joined West Ham in 1959 as a 15-year-old, made his debut in 1962 and was a key player in the side who won the 1965 Cup Winners Cup final at Wembley.
4. Airtel Payments Bank enables 24x7 NEFT transfers.
- Airtel Payments Bank announced its customers will now be able to use the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) any time of the day in-line with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines.
- The facility will be available to customers on a 24x7 basis even on holidays. Customers can enable them to receive or send funds to any bank from anywhere, anytime.
About Airtel Payments Bank
It receives a payment bank license from the Reserve Bank of India and it became the first live payments bank in the country.
Headquarters: New Delhi
5. Hemant Soren to be sworn in as Jharkhand CM on 29th December.
- Hemant Soren is scheduled to take oath as the new Chief Minister of Jharkhand December 29, 2019 at the Morabadi Ground in Ranchi. Soren will be administered the oath of the office by Jharkhand Governor Droupadi Murmu.
- The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha will form the new government in the state in alliance with the Congress and the RJD. Their pre-poll alliance won a total of 47 seats in the 81-member Jharkhand assembly in the recently concluded Jharkhand elections 2019.
- The announcement of the oath-taking ceremony was made through an official communiqué by the Raj Bhawan on December 26, 2019. The state’s Chief Secretary DK Tiwari had met Soren at his residence on the same day to invite him for the ceremony.
Governor: Draupadi Murmu
6. Turkey top court rules ‘Wikipedia ban’ breaches free speech.
- Turkey's Constitutional Court ruled that the government's ban on access to online encyclopedia Wikipedia violated freedom of expression.
- The ban imposed by Turkey's Information and Communication Technologies Authority (BTK) has remained in place since April 2017.
- Turkish officials said at the time the measure was needed as Wikipedia had failed to remove content deemed false from its pages that linked Turkey with terror groups.
Currency: Turkish lira
7. MiG 27: Indian Air Force bids farewell to 'Hero' of Kargil conflict.
- MiG-27 fighter jet is known as the Kargil war hero that decommissioned today with its last flight. It was an Indian Air Force’s lethal fighter aircraft which became the main attacker during the 1999 Kargil war. The last fighter aircraft of the squadron took a flight from Jodhpur airbase.
- The squadron will be number plated on 31 March 2020, which means it will no more in the service. The MiG-27's squadron in Jodhpur is the last batch of aircraft. However, this squadron was known as one of the IAF’s best team.
- The MiG-27 has a wonderful past in the history of the Indian Air Force. The MiG-class aircraft was purchased from Soviet Russia while it was first inducted into the Indian Air Force in 1981.
Chief of Indian Air Force: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria
Air Force Day: 8 October 1932
8. India Japan held 5th round of maritime dialogue.
- India and Japan planned to deepen maritime cooperation and made consultations on disarmament, non-proliferation and export control.
- The 5th Round of India-Japan Maritime Affairs Dialogue held in Tokyo with the Indian delegation led by Indra Mani Pandey, Additional Secretary (Disarmament and International Security Affairs), Ministry of External Affairs, while Japanese delegation was led by Ambassador Yamanaka A Osamu, Deputy Assistant Minister, Deputy Director-General in Foreign Policy Bureau.
Prime Minister: Shinzō Abe
9. China, Russia and Iran to hold naval drills in the Gulf of Oman.
- China, Russia and Iran hold trilateral naval exercises in the Gulf of Oman. The move is done by three countries in the volatile Middle East.
- The trilateral exercise will be held in the Gulf of Oman from December 27 to 30. The Chinese Navy sent a guided-missile destroyer to participate in the drills adding that the exercise aims to deepen the exchanges and cooperation between the navies of the three countries and demonstrating the goodwill and ability of the three parties to jointly maintain world peace and maritime security.
- The Gulf of Oman borders Iran and Pakistan on the north, Oman on the south, the United Arab Emirates on the west and faces the Gujarat coast. Wu declined to directly respond to a question of whether the drills were any way connected to recent tensions in the region and US naval drills.
President: Xi Jinping
President: Vladimir Putin
Currency: Russian Ruble
Currency: Iranian Rial
President: Hassan Rouhani
10. Finance Minister releases stamp to commemorate DRI’s role.
- The finance minister of India released a postage stamp to commemorate distinguished service and glorious contribution of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) in protecting the nation.
- DRI plays an immense role to counter smuggling and preserve cultural heritage and the environment of the country.
- It is essential for DRI to keep pace with technologies such as data analytics to fight against contraband items such as gold and narcotics. Contraband is good that is against the law to trade or to import or export.
The Union Finance Minister of India: Nirmala Sitharaman.