Current Affairs 24 October, 2019
1. International UN day is observed on 24 October
- 24th October has been celebrated as United Nations Day since 1948. UN Day marks the anniversary of the entry into force in 1945 of the UN Charter.
- The United Nations was founded in 1945 to support collective action to realize peace, development and human rights for all. United Nations will commemorate the 75th anniversary of the United Nations in 2020 with inclusive global conversation on the role of global cooperation in building the future we want.
- The UN75 initiative seeks to spark dialogue and action on how we can build a better world despite the many challenges we face.
About United Nations
1. Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States
2. Headquarters: New York, United States
3. Secretary General: António Guterres
2. Vijaya Bank Museum inaugurated
- The Vijaya Bank Heritage Museum has been inaugurated at the headquarters of the erstwhile Vijaya Bank i.e. Bengaluru.
- The museum has a rare collection of photos through which the growth of the bank is showcased.
- The memories of the erstwhile Vijaya Bank can now be refreshed at a museum dedicated to its history. Vijaya Bank was one of the premier nationalised banks in the country.
- The erstwhile Vijaya Bank, along with the erstwhile Dena Bank, was amalgamated with Bank of Baroda on April 1, 2019
About Vijaya Bank
1. Headquarters location: Bengaluru
2. CEO: R. A. Sankara Narayanan
3. Founder: A. B. Shetty
4. Founded: 23 October 1931
3. Sadin-Pratidin’s Lifetime Achievement Award to Homen Borgohain
- Eminent writer Homen Borgohain was conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 6th edition of the Sadin-Pratidin Achievers Award 2019.
- The Sadin-Pratidin Achievers Award is presented by the Guwahati-based media group Sadin-Pratidin group. The annual award recognizes the eminent person and luminaries who have excelled in their chosen area of activities ranging from literature to corporate and culture to sports.
4. Indians Will No Longer Require Visas to Visit Brazil
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Thursday the South American nation will drop its requirement that visiting Chinese and Indian tourists or businesspeople obtain visas.
- Bolsonaro, a far-right politician, came to power at the beginning of the year and has made it a policy to reduce visa requirements from a number of developed countries. But the announcement, made during an official visit to China, is the first he has made expanding that policy to the developing world.
- Earlier this year, the Brazilian government ended visa requirements for tourists and businesspeople from the United States, Canada, Japan and Australia. Those countries, however, have not in return dropped their visa requirements for Brazilian citizens.
1. President: Jair Bolsonaro
2. Capital: Brasilia
3. Currency: Brazilian real
5. A new book entitled “Ten Studies in Kashmir: History and Politics” released
- An Indian historian, educationist and Padma Shri recipient, Kashi Nath Pandit’s new book entitled “Ten Studies in Kashmir: History and Politics”, published by Academic Foundation.
- A new book looks at the riveting history of Jammu and Kashmir from the time of its political and geographic consolidation to the abrogation of the state’s special status.
- The book, which comes after the scrapping of Article 370 provisions in August, will shed light on the happenings from 1947 till the revocation of the special status of the state.
6. IAS officer Arvind Singh appointed chairman of AAI
- Senior IAS officer Arvind Singh has appointed as the chairman of the Airports Authority of India (AAI). The appointment was approved by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions.
- Arvind Singh is at present working in Maharashtra. He is now appointed as the chief of AAI in the rank and pay of additional secretary.
- In another appointment, Sukhbir Singh Sandhu is appointed as the Chairman of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
About Airports Authority of India
1. Headquarters: New Delhi
2. Founded: 1 April 1995
3. Chairpersons: Anuj Aggarwal
7. India jumps 14 places to 63rd in ease of doing business rank
- Ease of Doing Business rankings have been released by World Bank on October 24. In the list of Ease of Doing India has ranked 63rd for 2019-20. India's ranking has improved by 14 places as India was ranked 77 in the list of 2018-19.
- India has joined the top-10 reforming countries in terms of economy for the third consecutive year. Ease of doing business has come in the ranking of ease of doing business at a time when the country is a victim of the economic slowdown.
About World Bank
1. Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
2. Founded: 1944
3. CEO: Georgieva
8. World Development Information Day: 24 October
- The United Nations observes World Development Information Day on 24 October every year.
- The General Assembly in 1972 established World Development Information Day to draw the attention of the world to development problems and the need to strengthen international cooperation to solve them.
- The General Assembly decided that the date for the Day should coincide with United Nations Day i.e. 24 October.
About United Nations
1. Headquarters: New York, USA
2. Founded: 24 October 1945
3. Secretary-General: Antonio Guterres
9. Government accords 'Maharatna' status to Hindustan Petroleum, Power Grid Corp
- The government accorded 'Maharatna' status to state-owned Hindustan Petroleum and Power Grid Corporation, thus giving them greater operational and financial autonomy.
- Two separate orders to this effect were issued by the Department of Public Enterprises, under the Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises.
- The grant of Maharatna status to the PSUs will impart enhanced powers to their Boards to take financial decisions.
10. World Polio Day is celebrated on 24 October
- World Polio Day is celebrated on 24 October. The day aims to raise awareness and resources to support the polio eradication effort. On this day, Rotarians and other partners reach out to leaders and communities to engage them in the effort through various events, fundraisers, and social media campaigns to support a Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI).
- World Polio Day was established by the International Rotary club. The day aims to commemorate the birth of Jonas Salk.
- He led the first team to develop a vaccine against poliomyelitis. Albert Sabin discovered the use of this inactivated poliovirus vaccine and subsequent widespread use of the oral poliovirus vaccine.
Read More :