Current Affairs September 8, 2017
1. UJALA scheme launched in Malaysia:
- UJALA (Unnat Jyoti for Affordable Lighting for All) scheme under the Union Ministry of Power has been launched in the Melaka state of Malaysia by Efficiency Services Limited.
- Under the scheme, each house in Melaka will get ten high quality 9-watt LED bulbs at subsidized rate.
- Under the scheme, the Efficiency Services Limited will replace 18-watt CFL’s by distributing one million LED bulbs to reduce electricity bills and to preserve the environment.
- Launched under the Union Ministry of Power, the scheme aims to promote efficient lighting, reducing the electricity bills and preserving the environment by distributing the LED bulbs.
2. Rohingya issue: India refuses to sign Bali Declaration:
- India has refused to adopt Bali Declaration at the World Parliamentary Forum on Sustainable Development concluded in Bali, Indonesia stating it inappropriate with reference to Rakhine state in Myanmar from where Rohingyas have to fled to Bangladesh.
- According to India, the proposed reference of violation in the declaration wasnot consensus based, inappropriate and not following the provisions of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
- It is an ethnic Muslim minority group residing in the Rakhine state of Myanmar.
- Myanmar’s dominant Buddhist groups consider them as illegal Bengali immigrants and hence the Myanmar Government refuses to grant them citizenship status.
3. Country’s first Hyperloop project to come up in Andhra Pradesh:
- Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board has signed anMou with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies for developin India’s first Hyperloop Project.
- It will connect the citycentres with Amaravati and Vijayawada.
- The Project will be based on Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model and will cover 35 km distance between Vijayawada and Amarawati in just 5 minutes.
- The technology is based on the syste of magnetically levitating pods that are sent at high speed though low pressure tubes with speeds two to three times more than the fastest high speed trains.
4. 8th September: International Literacy day:
- With an aim to spread awareness in the society regarding literacy, the International Literacy Day is being observed every year on 8th September.
- The theme for this year is: ‘Literacy in a Digital World’.
- The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
|CLICK HERE TO SOLVE DAILY QUIZ BASED ON 7 SEPTEMBER CURRENT AFFAIRS|
5. Parali I Island disappears:
- According to researchers, Parali I island, a biodiversity rich uninhabited islands part of Lakshadweep has vanished due to coastal erosion.
- The researchers were conducting their research on biodiversity related to five islands namely: Parali I, II and III, Bangaram and Thinakkara in Lakshadweep .
- The sudden disappearance of the island indicates serious issues of coastal erosion.
6. Vivek Goenka elected as the chairman of the Press Trust of India:
- Vivek Goenka, the Chairman and Managing Director of the express Group has unanimously been elected as the new Chairman of the Press Trust of India.
- N. Ravi, the former Editor-in-chief of the Hindu has been elected as the Vice-Chairman.
Press Trust Of India (PTI):
- It is the largest news agency of India with its headquarters in New Delhi.
|CLICK HERE TO READ 7 SEPTEMBER CURRENT AFFAIRS|
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!