Current Affairs September 17&18, 2017
1. India-Japan Act East Forum:
- Keeping in mind the strategic importance of India’s north-east region, India and Japan have signed a memorandum of understanding to establish India-Japan Act East Forum to enhance connectivity and promote development in the region.
- It was signed during the 12th India-Japan annual summit.
- The purpose of the forum is to converge India’s Act East Policy with Japan’ Free and Open Asia-Pacific strategy to counter China’s One Belt One Road initiative.
- Apart from promoting development in north-east, the forum will give a momentum to India’s connectivity efforts in Bangladesh, Myanmar, Bhutan, Nepal and BIMSTEC motor vehicle agreement.
2. PM dedicates SardarSarovar Dam to the Country:
- On his 67th birthday, Prime Minister NarendraModi dedicated the SardarSarovar Dam (Narmada Dam) to the nation.
- The interstate multipurpose dam is the highest dam ever built in India and the second biggest concrete gravity dam in the world in terms of volume after Grand Coulee Dam in USA.
- The dam has a length of 1.2 kms and depth of 163 metres. Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan will receive water and electricity from the dam.
- The Sardar Sarovar Dam project was the vision of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and the foundation stone of the project was laid by Pt. JawaharLal Nehru.
3. India’s Forex reserve crosses $400 billion:
- According to Reserve Bank of India, India’s Forex reserve have crossed $400 billion marks for the first time. India is now on the 6th position in the Forex reserve ranking .
- China is on the top followed by Japan, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia and Taiwan.
Foreign Exchange Reserve:
- These are the reserve assets held by the Central bank in the form of Foreign Currency Assets, gold, Special Drawing Rights (SDR).
4. India-US joint military exercise: YudhAbhyas 2017:
- The 13th edition of the joint military training exercise ‘YudhAbhyas’ between India and US was held in Washington, US.
- The annual bilateral military exercise is held alternately by the two countries for gaining skills in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.
|CLICK HERE TO SOLVE DAILY QUIZ BASED ON 16 SEPTEMBER CURRENT AFFAIRS|
5. Arjan Singh passes away:
- The sole Marshal of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Arjan Singh passed away following a cardiac arrest in New Delhi. He was 98.
- In 2002, he was granted the honorary rank of Marshal, highest military rank, which before him was achieved by only two army chiefs, K M Carriappa and Sam Manekshaw.
6. P V Sindhu wins 2017 Korea Open Title:
- India’s number one shuttler P V Sindhu has won women’s singles title at 2017 Korea Open Super Series Badminton Tournament.
- She defeated Nozomi Okuhara of Japan. With this, Sindhu has become the first Indian to win Korea Super Series crown.
7. Snow Leopard no longer endangered: IUCN
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has downgraded the conservation status of Snow Leopard from “Endangered” to “Vulnerable”. This has been declared after 3 years assessment by the International experts.
- Endangered species: Species are fewer than 2500 and experiencing high rate of decline.
- Vulnerable species: Species are fewer than 10000 and its population has declined at least 10% over three generations.
8. Indigenous artillery gun ATAGS sets new record:
- The Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) has set a world record in range by hitting target at a distance of 48 km during trial at Pokhran, Rajasthan.
- The artillery gun has been indigenously developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as a part of army’s artillery modernization programme.
9. 16th September: International Day for Preservation of Ozone:
- World Ozone Day International day for preservation of Ozone is observed every year on 16th september for spreading awareness regarding the preservation of ozone layer.
- This year’s theme was: “Caring for all life under the sun”.
|CLICK HERE TO READ 16 SEPTEMBER CURRENT AFFAIRS|
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!