Current Affairs September 14, 2017
1. Government launches Wood is Good Campaign:
- To promote wood as a climate friendly resource and a substitute for plastic and steel, the Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has introduced “Wood is Good” campaign under Partnership for Land Use Science (Forest Plus).
- The campaign was launched during a two days conference on “Sustainable landscapes and forest ecosystems: Theory to Practise” in New Delhi.
- The Government is committed to create an additional carbon sink of 2.5-3 billion tonnes of CO2 by increasing the forest cover from 24% to 33% of the geographical area.
- Partnership for Land Use Science (Forest Plus) is a joint venture of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and MoEFCC to reduce forest emissions and enhance carbon stocks in the forests.
- Experts from India and US work together for sustainable development of ecosystem and bio diversity under Forest Plus.
2. Operation Insaniyat:
- The Ministry of External Affairs has launched Operation Insaniyatto help Bangladesh due to humanitarian crisis faced by it as a result of large scale influx of Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- Rohingyas are ethnic Muslim minorities from the Buddhist majority Rakhine province of Myanmar. They had to leave their country due to communal violence and military operations.
- Under this operation, India will provide relief materials in the form of edible items like rice, pulses, salt, sugar, biscuits and mosquito nets.
3. 14th September: National Hindi Diwas
- With an aim to promote further propagation of Hindi language and its cultural heritage and values, the National Hindi Diwas is observed annually in Hindi speaking regions of India and other countries with considerable hindi speaking population.
- The day is celebrated to commemorate the adoption of Hindi language as the official language of the Country by the Constituent Assembly on 14th September 1949.
- On this day, President gives Rajbhasha Awards at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Under article 343 of the Indian Constitution, Hindi written in Devanagri script was adopted as the official language.
4. Indo-Russian first tri-services military exercise: INDRA 2017:
- India has started discussions with Russia for conducting their first tri-services military exercise INDRA 2017. It will be India’s first bilateral military exercise with any country involving all the three services i.e Army, Navy and Air force.
- The exercise will take place in October 2017 in Russia with an aim to combat terrorism under United Nation’s mandate.
5. Global Human Capital Index 2017: India ranks 103
- India has 103rd rank among 130 countries on the Global Human Capital Index 2017, a survey conducted by World Economic Forum (WEF).
- The Index monitors and measures a countries ability to develop and harness talent for economic growth by considering four parameters of the human capital development: Capacity, deployment, development and know-how.
- Norway secured the top position followed by Finland and Switzerland.
6. Mouse deer reintroduced in Telangana Forest:
- Mouse deer (Spotted Chevrotain), an endangered species has been reintroduced for the first time in Amrabad Tiger Reserve at Nehru Zoological Park, Hyderabad.
- It looks like a weired mix up of a deer, mouse and pig.
|CLICK HERE TO READ 13 SEPTEMBER CURRENT AFFAIRS|
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!