Current Affairs December 3&4, 2017
1. Government launches National Strategic Plan and Mission SAMPARK:
- With an aim to eradicate AIDS by 2030, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched the National Strategic Plan 2017-24 on the occasion of World AIDS Day (1st December).
- Mission SAMPARK was also launched to find individuals who are left to follow up and will be brought under Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART).
2. BIMSTEC members discuss draft text of Coastal Shipping Agreement:
- With an aim to boost trade between the member countries through facilitating coastal shipping, the first meeting of the Working Group of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) was recently held.
- The member countries have discussed the draft text of BIMSTEC Coastal Shipping Agreement.
- The agreement has been drafted by Indian Ministry of Shipping.
3. India re-elected to International Maritime Organisation Council:
- India has been re-elected to International Maritime Organisation Council at its headquarters in London.
- India has been elected under category B that represents the countries with largest interests in international sea borne trade.
4. 2nd December: International Day for Abolition of Slavery:
- The International Day for Abolition of Slavery is observed by the United Nations General Assembly every year on 2nd December.
- The day marks the date of adoption of a resolution by the United Nations Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and Exploitation of the Prostitutions (Resolution 317 (iv).
5. 2nd December: National Pollution Control Day:
- The National Pollution Control Day is celebrated every year on 2nd December in India to pay tribute to the people who have lost their lives because of Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
6. Andhra Pradesh Assembly passes Kapu Reservation Bill:
- The Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed KapuResrvation Bill, 2017 to provide 5% quota to Kapu community in education and employment.
- Kapu community has been included in the Backward Class list.
- With this, the total reservation in the state reaches to 55%, beyond the 50% limit set by the Supreme Court for reservations.
7. Populism- Cambridge dictionary’s word of the year:
- The word ‘Populism’ has been announced as the Cambridge dictionary’s word of the year 2017.
- The dictionary defines the word as “political ideas and activities that are intended to get the support of ordinary people by giving them what they want.
8. Japan will host the Ministerial meeting of UNSC:
- Japan is going to host a ministerial meeting of the United Nations Security Council on 15th December.
- The aim of the meeting is to find peaceful ways to put pressure on North Korea to halt its nuclear and ballistic missile tests.
9. 2nd December: World Computer Literacy Day:
- With an aim to promote awareness about computer literacy and electronic devices, the World Computer Literacy Day is celebrated every year on 2nd December.
10. Corporation Bank launches RuPay credit cards:
- Corporation Bank has launched its RuPay Select and RuPay Platinum credit cards.
- Personal accident insurance of Rs 10 lakh and Rs 2 lakh will be offered on RuPay Select Credit Card and RuPay Platinum Credit Card respectively.
11. A Surya Prakash reappointed as PrasarBharati Chief:
- The Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry has reappointed A Surya Prakash as the Chairperson of PrasarBharati till 2020.
12. AnshuPrakash appointed as Delhi Chief Secretary:
- Senior IAS officer (1986 batch)AnshuPrakash has been appointed as the Chief Secretary of the Delhi Government.
13. 11th Annual MedTech Summit held in New Delhi:
- The 11th Annual MedTech Summit was recently held in New Delhi.
- Department of Biotechnology and IIT Delhi have implemented a Bio Design Programme to develop affordable and innovative medical devices to fulfill the clinical needs.
14. Nepal to host International Conference on Climate Change:
- Nepal’s President Bidya Devi Bhandari will inaugurate an international Conference to raise awareness on climate change and its adverse consequences on the people in the Hindu Kush mountain range.
- The 4 day-long conference aims to provide a platform to over 200 delegates including scientists, environmental experts and policy makers to develop solutions for maintaining a sustainable climate.
15. 3rd December: International Day of Persons with Disabilities:
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilitiesis observed every year on 3rd December.
- The theme for this year is- ‘Transformation towards sustainable and resilient society for all’.
16. Inauguration of the 1st phase of Chabaharport in Iran:
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has inaugurated the 1st phase of Chabahar port in Iran.
- This port will be utilized as a transit route between India, Iran and Afghanistan.
Crack IBPS SO Mains 2017
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS SO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS SO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS SO Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for IBPS SO Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!