1. Karnataka Bank TIEs up with Bharti Axa Life Insurance Company Limited for Life Insurance Business
- Karnataka Bank entered into Memorandum of Understanding with Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company Ltd. for distribution of latter’s life insurance products.
- With 95 years of Banking experience and one among the Prominent First Generation Private Sector Banks, Karnataka Bank is into distribution of life insurance products to its customers since last 16 years.
- This is the third such tie-up by the Bank after PNB MetLife Life Insurance Co. Ltd. and LIC of India, both of which continue to provide insurance solutions to the customers of Karnataka Bank.
2. Shah Rukh Khan receives honorary doctorate from The University of Law in London
- Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan received yet another honorary doctorates from The University of Law (London) in Philanthropy.
- He was awarded the merit during a graduation ceremony for more than 350 students.
- SRK already has honorary doctorates from The University of Bedfordshire and The University of Edinburgh.
3. South Korea unveils 5G networks early to secure world first
- South Korea unveils 5G networks early to secure world first
- South Korea’s telecoms providers have turned on super-fast 5G mobile internet networks ahead of schedule, in an attempt to ensure the country is first to launch the services.
- This service is important for the future development as it is expected to bring about $565 billion in global economic benefits by 2034.
4. Phayeng Village of Manipur tagged as India’s first carbon-positive settlement
- As part of the carbon-positive village project, Phayeng will receive a grant of Rs10 crore in phases to facilitate afforestation in the catchment of river Maklang that flows along the village.
- Phayeng is a scheduled caste village of the Chakpa community in Imphal West district and its conservation efforts are mainly linked to the belief that the forest is a sacred grove.
- It is surrounded by three densely forested hillocks with fruit trees at centre and a stream flowing through it.
5. India could achieve high penetration of electric vehicles by 2030: Niti Aayog
- India could achieve high penetration of electric vehicles (EV) by 2030 on the back of the success of FAME II and other measures.
- The report quantifies direct oil and carbon savings that vehicles incentivised under the FAME II would deliver.
- FAME II intends to catalyze the market for faster adoption of EVs to ensure durable economic growth and global competitiveness for India's automotive industry.
6. TBN Radhakrishnan Sworn In As New Chief Justice Of Calcutta High Court
- Justice T B N Radhakrishnan was sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
- West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi administered the oath of office to Justice Radhakrishnan in a solemn ceremony at the high court.
- Justice Radhakrishnan was earlier the Chief Justice of the High Court of Hyderabad for the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh from July 7, 2018.
7. International Day of Sport for Development and Peace 6 April
- The United Nations’ (UN) International day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) is observed annually on April 6 torecognize the power of sport in promoting peace and erasing cultural barriers worldwide.
- The International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) is an annual celebration of the power of sport to drive social change, community development and to foster peace and understanding.
- Creating a a historical link to the first modern Olympic Games in 1896, 6 April was declared the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace by the United Nations (UN) General Assembly in 2013.
8. Padma Shri Dr. V G Patel passed away at 79
- Padma Shri Dr. Viharidas Gopaldas Patel, fondly known as VG, a noted economist and hailed as the ‘Father of Entrepreneurship Movement’ in the country, passed away, at Ahmedabad after a brief illness.
- The Government of India also incorporated the EDP approach as a part of its self employment schemes.
- The Central Government’s ‘Rojgar Yojana’ incorporated entrepreneurship training, based on work done by Dr. Patel.