1. Luke Coutinho’s new book “The Dry Fasting Miracle: From Deprive to Thrive” on benefits of ‘dry fasting diet’ released
- From Deprive to Thrive, a book on the benefits of dry fasting diet by the famous personal lifestyle coach and author, Luke Coutinho and co-authored by a member of UAE’s Ajman royal Family, Sheikh Abdulaziz Bin Ali Bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, published under the Ebury Press a division of Penguin Random House and the ebook version is available on Kindle.
- The book speaks on the benefits of the dry fasting diet – the superior form of fasting and cleansing, which is restraining the intake of food and water for twelve or more hours and its role in achieving good health.
Foot Notes: About Penguin Random House India
CEO- Gaurav Shrinagesh
Headquarters- Gurgaon, Haryana
2. Astronomers of IFA unveil Solar Corona’s magnetic field
- The researchers at the University of Hawaii Institute of Technology (IFA) have been studying the solar corona. It is an outermost atmosphere of the sun that expands into interplanetary space.
- A new study has been published in Astrophysical Journal on June 3 by IFA graduate student Benjamin Boe that used total solar eclipse observations to measure the shape of the coronal magnetic field along with a higher spatial resolution and over a large area than never before.
- The corona has been most easily seen during a total solar eclipse, it is when the moon is directly between the Earth and Sun which blocks the bright surface of the Sun.
3. CCI approves proposed merger between Peugeot S.A and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves the proposed merger between Peugeot S.A and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. The proposed combination pertains to a merger between Peugeot S.A. (“PSA”) and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (“FCA”).
- PSA is a publicly listed limited liability company incorporated in France. It is the holding company of a French-based group, which is mainly an original equipment manufacturer and dealer of motor vehicles, passenger cars as well as light commercial vehicles under the brands Peugeot, Citroën, Opel, Vauxhall, and DS. It also provides ancillary services such as financing solutions for the acquisition of motor vehicles and mobility services and solutions.
- FCA is a public company with limited liability, headquartered in London and incorporated and organised under the laws of the Netherlands. It is a global automotive group engaged in designing, engineering, manufacturing, distributing and selling vehicles, components and production systems worldwide.
Foot Notes: About CCI(Competition Commission of India):
Founded: 14 October 2003
Headquarters: New Delhi
First executive: Dharmendra Kumar
Chairman: Ashok Kumar Guptha
4. Former Miss World Manushi Chhillar joins Rohit, Hima as a brand ambassador of Adidas
- The former Miss World 2017 Manushi Chhillar joined Rohit Sharma, Indian star Batsman, Hima Das Sprinter from Assam, and Actor Ranveer Singh as the brand ambassador of Adidas.
- Chhillar becomes Adidas’s forerunner in their mission to inspire women to embrace fitness and to create a beneficial social impact through sports.
- She supports the #HOMETEAMHERO challenge of Adidas to stay physically and mentally fit in the lockdown due to COVID-19 and use sports as a platform to inspire and encourage the women and children to take up sports. Adidas encourages the people around the world to participate in the #HOMETEAMHERO to support WHO’s Covid-19 Response fund.
- Adidas will donate 1 USD for every hour clocked in the Adidas Running and Training apps till 7th June.
Foot Notes: About Adidas
Founder: Adolf Dassler
Founded: 18 August 1949, Herzogenaurach, Germany
Headquarters: Herzogenaurach, Germany
CEO: Kasper Rørsted
5. Union Cabinet approved MoU between India and Bhutan on Cooperation in the areas of Environment
- The Union cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi approved the Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) between India & Bhutan to improve cooperation in the areas of Environment.
- MoU will helps to establish & promote the long term cooperation between the two countries in the field of environment protection and management of natural resources based on equity, reciprocity and mutual benefits, taking into account the applicable laws and legal provisions in each country.
- MoU covers the following areas of the environment, namely- Air, Waste, Chemical Management, Climate Change, and any other areas jointly decided upon, by considering the bilateral interest of both countries.
- MoU enters into force on the date of signature & remain in force for a 10 years
Foot Notes: About Bhutan
Currency– Bhutanese Ngultrum
Prime Minister: Lotay Tshering
6. India to host AFC 2022 Women’s Asian Cup
- India is to host the 2022 Women's Asian Cup. The hosting rights have been awarded to India by the Asian Football Confederation. This is the second time India will be hosting the event. India hosted the event for the first time in 1979. The information was passed by the All India Football Federation.
- Women's Asian Cup will be held in the second half of the year 2020. Women players are expected to bring social revolution in the event.
- The football tournament will feature 12 teams. The number of participating teams has been expanded from the previous slot of eight teams. As India hosts the tournament, India will qualify directly in the tournament.
- The event will serve as the final qualification tournament for the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup.
Foot Notes: About Asian Football confederation:
Headquarters: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
President: Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa
General Secretary: Windsor John
7. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw wins EY World Entrepreneur of the year award 2020
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Founder and Chairperson & Managing Director of Biocon, has been named EY World Entrepreneur fo the year 2020.
- The award is to recognize her contribution to improving universal access to affordable life-saving medicine and thus transforming the world. She became only the third Indian to receive this prestigious award after Uday Kotak and Narayana Murthy. Shaw became only the second woman to receive this award. Olivia Lum of Hyflux Limited from Singapore is the first person to have won the title in 2011.
8. World Environment Day observed on 5 June
- World Environment Day is observed on 5 June. The day aims to create awareness and action for the protection of the environment.
- The theme for the 2020 World Environment Day is 'Biodiversity'. The theme focuses on a concern that is both urgent and existential. The theme was based on the recent events including bushfires in Brazil, the United States, and Australia; locust infestations across East Africa; a global disease pandemic COVID-19. These have demonstrated the interdependence of humans and the webs of life, in which they exist.
9. Kerala becomes 1st state to provide free internet to poor
- Kerala Govt has declared that their ambitious broadband project: Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project will roll out from December.
- This means that from December onwards, all the citizens below poverty live in Kerala will get free high-speed Internet. And those who cannot afford, will be provided high-speed Internet at a subsidized rate.
- Recently Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan held a meeting with all the heads of the companies of the consortium which will execute K-FON project. The roll out dates of December has been provided after this meeting.
- Rs 1500 crore has already been allocated for K-FON project, which will be spread the usage of Internet all across the state, and trigger a new digital economy.
- Kerala will be the first state to provide free high speed broadband to the poor people.
Foot Notes: About Kerela
Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
10. Power Minister launches the ‘#iCommit’ initiative on World Environment Day
- Power Minister R K Singh on June 5, 2020 initiated the ‘#iCommit’ campaign to commemorate World Environment Day. The initiative calls upon all stakeholders and individuals to continue working towards energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainability to create a robust and resilient energy system in the future.
- The ‘#iCommit’ initiative, which will be driven by Energy Efficiency Services Limited, will unite a diverse set of players such as Governments, Corporates, Multilateral and Bilateral Organisations, Think Tanks and Individuals. Under the initiative, the government envisages a transformation of the entire energy value chain in the country, which will in turn ensure 24X7 energy access and security to all the citizens.
- The #iCommit initiative will bring together a diverse spectrum of government and private players to build a new energy future for India. The initiative is centered around the idea of building an energy resilient future.