- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today extended PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana for a further five months till November-end for distributing free foodgrains to the poor.
- PM Modi said that the government will keep providing free foodgrains to the poor section of the society due to the increased need during the festivals.
- The PM further said that the government will incur an additional expenditure of Rs 90,000 crore to provide 5 kg rice or wheat and 1 kg gram every month to the poor.
- He highlighted that the free distribution of foodgrains to 80 crore people in India could feed 2.5 times the US population, 12 times the UK population and, twice the European Union’s population.
- The Union Minister Dr.Jitendra Singh on June 29 stated that the launch of India’s first human space mission ‘Gaganyaan’ will not be affected by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the preparations have been carrying on in the right direction.
- The minister also elaborated about the cabinet’s decision to encourage private participation in ISRO activities. He added that the regulatory body ‘IN-SPACe’ will provide a level playing field to private players and encourage their participation.
- During the briefing, he assured that the launch of ‘Gaganyaan’ will take place as planned before the 75th anniversary of India’s Independence in 2022.
About ISRO(Indian Space Research Organisation):
Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
Founded: 15 August 1969
Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
- Every year 30 June is celebrated across the world as International Day of Parliamentarism.
- It marks the day of establishment of Inter-Parliamentary Union, the global organization of parliaments in 1889.
- On this day parliaments get the chance to take stock, identify challenges, and find ways to address them effectively.
- India banned 59 Chinese mobile applications amid border stand-off with the neighbouring country. The government has cited national security for banning these apps.
- The ban covers some of the most popular apps in India like TikTok, SHAREIT, UC Browser and WeChat.
- Almost all the apps banned have some preferential Chinese interest and the majority have parent Chinese companies.
President: Xi Jinping
Currency: Chinese Yuan
5. NFL launches five Mobile Soil Testing Labs for testing the soil samples at farmers' doorstep
- National Fertilizers Limited- NFL has launched five Mobile Soil Testing Labs for testing the soil samples at the doorstep of farmers free of cost.
- It will give further boost to the Soil Testing facility in the country for promoting appropriate use of fertilizers.
- Chairman and Managing Director of NFL V N Datt flagged off one such Mobile Lab from the premises of NFL Corporate Office in Noida. These Mobile Labs, loaded with the latest soil testing equipment will be used for macro and micro nutrient analysis of soil.
Founded: 1 September 1979
Chairman and Managing Director: V N Datt
6. India named in Switzerland’s top-3 partners for info exchange on tax matters
- In accordance with the latest study by OECD’s (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) Global Forum on transparency and exchange of information for tax purposes, referring to the period from July 2015 to June 2018, India was named among the top-three countries as EOI (Exchange of Information) partners along with France and Germany. Means, India is getting detailed information on request, from Switzerland about bank accounts and beneficiary ownership of entities established by its residents.
- India is also rated as ‘largely compliant’ by this OECD’s review. It has also named Italy, Netherlands and Spain among other significant EOI partners for Switzerland.
Headquarters: Paris, France
Founded: 30 September 1961
Secretary-General: José Ángel Gurría
Currency: Swiss Franc
- 24-time Grammy winner Popstar Beyonce(38 years old) to receive the Humanitarian Award at 20th edition of annual BET Awards 2020, for her long standing philanthropic work, including her recent COVID-19 relief efforts. The event will be held virtually for the 1st time on June 28.
- The awards will honor 2 personalities namely: Rapper Lil Wayne to give tribute to basketball legend Kobe Bryant, who died in a helicopter crash outside Los Angeles on January 26 along with his daughter and seven others.
- Wayne Brady to honour Little Richard, who died of bone cancer on May 9.
- Nicolas Johnson, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, and D-Nice to be recognised as 2020 Shine A Light honourees. AssaTraore, French anti-racist activist to be honored with the BET International Global Good Award.
About BET Awards:
The American award show was established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network to celebrate African Americans and other minorities in music, acting, sports and other fields of entertainment over the past year.
- In Jammu and Kashmir, Syed Ali Shah Geelani has announced his resignation from All Parties Hurriyat Conference.
- He was elected as its lifetime chairman in 2003.
- He named Rawalpindi-based Abdullah Geelani as his successor amid speculation that he was doing ISI's bidding.
- All Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC), or Tehreek e Hurriyat is an alliance of 26 political, social and religious organizations formed as a united political front to raise the cause of Kashmiri separatism in the Kashmir conflict.
About Jammu & Kashmir:
Capital: Srinagar (May-October), Jammu (November-April)
Lt. Governor: G. C. Murmu
- Veteran novelist GeethaNagabhushanpassed away.
- She was suffering from age-related ailments since recent years.
- She started her career as lecturer at Nagareshwar College in Kalaburagi and had retired as principal.
- She had chaired the 76th Akhil Bharat Kannada Sahitya Sammelan held in Gadag in 2010.
- She was the first woman writer to get Nadoja award of Kannada University Hampi, and first Kannada woman writer to be honoured Sahitya Akademi award for her novel 'Baduku' in 2004.
- An investigation conducted by the United States-based news agency Associated Press (AP) has found that the Chinese Government has been running a number of in-human campaigns to slash the birth rates among the minority Muslim population in its country. Experts have labeled this Campaign of China as ‘Demographic Genocide’. Among the Muslim minorities in China, most belong to Uyghurs ethnic groups.
- The Chinese Government continues to claim that the camps set up at the Xinjiang Autonomous Region of China are for offering voluntary education and training; however, the authorities running these camps have been instructed by the Government to run these camps as high-security prisons with punishments, no escapes, strict disciplines, etc.
President: Xi Jinping
Currency: Chinese Yuan