Current Affairs 25 June 2022Current Affairs 25 June 2022
1. International Day of the Seafarer 2022 Observed on 25th June
- The “Day of the Seafarer” is celebrated annually on June 25 to honour the vital contribution that seafarers make to global trade and the economy, frequently at considerable personal sacrifice to themselves and their families. Governments, shipping associations, businesses, shipowners, and all other interested parties are asked to support and commemorate the Day in a meaningful and suitable way.
- The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978, held in Manila, Philippines, in June 2010, adopted a resolution that established the Day of the Seafarer and made significant revisions to the STCW Convention and Code.
- The resolution established the Day of the Seafarer, which was first observed in 2011.
- The annual list of United Nations Observances now includes the Day of the Seafarer.
2. World Bank approves project to promote rain-fed farming in Uttarakhand
- Rain-fed agriculture in the steep areas of Uttarakhand has been approved by the World Bank.
- The project will cost Rs. 1,000 crore.
- The watershed department will carry out the Uttarakhand Climate Responsive Rain-fed Farming Project.
- Aims: Lower the greenhouse gas emissions.
- It will also encourage environment friendly agricultural practices.
About World Bank:
Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
President: David Malpass
Founded: July 1944
Uttarakhand Governor: Gurmit Singh; Chief minister: Pushkar Singh Dhami
3. Assam becomes the 36th State/UT to implement One Nation One Ration Card
- Assam has operationalised the Centre's 'One Nation, One Ration Card' programme, with this, it is implemented across the country.
- Beneficiaries can get their quota of subsidised foodgrains from any electronic point of sale device (ePoS)-enabled fair price shops.
- Beneficiaries can use their existing ration cards with biometric authentication.
- The implementation of ONORC was initiated in August 2019.
- The government has also rolled out the 'MERA RATION' mobile app.
Chief Minister: Himanta Biswa Sarma
Governor: Prof. Jagadish Mukhi
4. Sri Lanka revises Minimum Age for Migrant Domestic Workers
- Sri Lanka has decided to revise the Minimum Age for Migrant Domestic Workers to 21 years.
- The Cabinet of Ministers has also granted permission to revise the age limit, after considering the recommendations of the Cabinet-appointed Sub-Committee.
- For Saudi Arabia the minimum age is 25 years, and for other Middle Eastern Countries is 23 years, and for all other countries is 21 years.
- Sri Lanka PM: Ranil Wickremesinghe; President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
About Sri Lanka:
Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
Prime Minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe
5. Union Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurates the National Conference On Millets
- Union Minister of State for M/o Food Processing Industries, Prahlad Singh Patel has inaugurated the National Conference on Millets. The theme of the conference is ‘The Future Super Food for India’ in New Delhi, organised by industry body ASSOCHAM with the support of M/o Food Processing Industries. The conference has been organised to discuss opportunities and challenges in ensuring food and nutritional security.
- The Union Minister said that the production of coarse cereals in the country has increased to 17.96 million tonnes in 2020-21 from 14.52 million tonnes in 2015-16 and the production of bajra (pearl millet) has also increased to 10.86 million tonnes in the same period. The major millets producing states in India include Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
6. A book titled ‘Ashtang Yoga’ by Dr Sonu Phogat, released by CM Manohar Lal
- Haryana CM, Manohar Lal has released a book titled Ashtang Yoga authored by Dr Sonu Phogat on 8th International Yoga Day.
- During the launch he announced that various programmes are being organised in Haryana on IYD.
- CM also appreciated the efforts of writer Dr Sonu Phogat, as it is a matter of pride that the book on Yoga was released on International Yoga Day.
- International Yoga Day: 21 June
- 2022 theme: Yoga for Humanity
7. Scientists discover world’s largest bacterium
- Scientists have discovered the world’s largest bacterium which can be seen with the naked eye.
- The bizarre bacterium has been found in a Caribbean mangrove swamp.
- It is approximately the size of a human eyelash.
- The first example of this bacterium, named Thiomargarita magnifica, was found clinging to sunken mangrove leaves in the archipelago of Guadeloupe in 2009.
8. U.S. Senate passes gun safety bill as Supreme Court knocks down handgun limits
- The US Senate has passed a Gun Control Bill, which is being considered the most significant firearms legislation in nearly 30 yrs.
- It will now have to pass in the House of Representatives before President Biden can sign it into law.
- It is also significant because it is the first time in decades that proposed reforms have received this level of support from both Democrats and Republicans.
- Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar inaugurates the National Conference on the development of the Space Start-up Ecosystem in India
President: Joe Biden
Capital: Washington, D.C.
Currency: United States Dollar
9. National Conference on Space Start-up Ecosystem inaugurated
- The Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajeev Chandrasekhar inaugurated a National Conference on the development of the Space Start-up Ecosystem in India, on 24 June 2022, in Bengaluru.
- Itwas organized by the Astronautical Society of India in association with the ISRO, New Space India Limited, Indian National Space Promotion and Authorisation Centre, and DRDO.
10. Amjad Sayeed takes oath as Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh HC
- Justice Amjad Ahtesham Sayeed was sworn in as the 27th Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court on 23 June 2022.
- He was administered the oath of office by Governor Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar at Raj Bhawan.
- Before being appointed the 27th Chief Justice of the HP High Court, Justice Sayeed was posted at the Bombay High Court.
About Himachal Pradesh:
Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
Capitals: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)