Current Affairs 24 June 2022Current Affairs 24 June 2022
1. Jammu and Kashmir to host G-20 meetings in 2023
- Jammu and Kashmir has been selected to host the G-20 meetings in 2023.
- The UT government has also set up a five-member high-level committee for the coordination of G20 summit.
- Piyush Goyal (Commerce and Industry Minister) was appointed as India's Sherpa for the G20 in September 2021.
- India will take the G-20 presidency from December 1, 2022.
- India has been represented by PM Modi since 2014 in G20 summit.
- G20, 2024: Brazil
- G20, 2025: South Africa
About Jammu and Kashmir:
Capital: Srinagar (May–October) Jammu (Nov-April)
Lieutenant Governor: Manoj Sinha
2. India recognized as 'country of the year' by Europe's Vivatech
- The Europe's biggest start-up conference, Vivatech 2020 has recognized India as the "country of the year."
- The country has been recognised with this honour, due to the global contribution of Indian start-ups.
- The start-up ecosystem of India is growing rapidly and has over 100 unicorns.
- India has participated in Vivatech is to showcase Indian start-ups are solving global problems and innovating for the world.
3. Gujarat CM launches 17th ‘Shala Praveshotsav’
- Gujarat CM, Bhupendra Patel has launched the 17th ‘Shala Praveshotsav’.
- Aim: To increases the enrollment of students in primary schools in the state.
- This is a three-day enrollment drive, starts from Memadpur primary school in Vadgam taluka (Banaskantha district).
- This drive helps to reduce the dropout rate of students.
- The drop out rate has been reduced to 3.07% from 37.22 % in 2002.
Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Chief minister: Bhupendrabhai Patel
4. Adani pledges ₹60,000 crore for social causes
- Asia’s richest person, Gautam Adani and his family have pledged to donate ₹60,000 crore to a range of social causes to celebrate the 60th birthday of Gautam Adani on June 24.
- This will be administered by the Adani Foundation, it is also to mark the birth centenary year of his father Shantilal Adani.
- As per the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, the net worth of Adani is almost $92 billion.
- The Forbes real-time billionaires has placed him at 6th rank ($95 billion).
5. Ranjit Bajaj Made Chairman of Advisory Panel Formed by CoA to Oversee AIFF Functioning
- The former owner of I-League side Minerva Punjab FC, Ranjit Bajaj, has been appointed as the chairperson of the 12-member committee formed by the Committee of Administrators (CoA).
- The CoA took charge of the AIFF, after the Supreme Court removed the Praful Patel led office bearers for not holding elections on time.
- Aim: To look the day-to-day matters of various departments of the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
President: Praful Patel
Headquarters location: New Delhi
Founded: 23 June 1937
6. Rumeli Dhar announces retirement from international cricket
- The India seam-bowling all rounder, Rumeli Dhar has announced her retirement from international cricket at 38.
- She has played her last international match in the tri-nation women's T20I series between India, Australia and England at Brabourne (2018).
- She has been featured in four Tests, 78 ODIs, and 18 T20Is.
- She has scored 1328 runs and took 84 wickets across formats.
- She was also the part of the 2005 World Cup final, South Africa, India lost to Australia by 98 runs.
7. NDB appoints ex-bureaucrat Dr D J Pandian to head its India Regional Office in GIFT City
- Former bureaucrat, Dr D J Pandian has been appointed as the Director-General of New Development Bank (NDB), India Regional Office in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
- In May 2022, the NDB had announced to set up IRO in the Gift city.
- The NDB has also approved 20 projects in India worth of USD 7.2. billion.
- The IRO will support the effective and efficient implementation of these projects and work closely with Project Implementation Agencies.
Headquarters location: Shanghai, China
President: Marcos Prado Troyjo
Founded: 15 July 2014
8. Indian Oil unveils indoor solar cooking stove ‘Surya Nutan’
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has unveiled a stationary, rechargeable cooking stove named Surya Nutan.
- It is a kitchen-connected cooking stove that uses the sun's energy to cook food.
- This was developed by IOC's research and development division at Faridabad.
- It captures solar energy through a PV panel that placed outdoor or on the roof.
- The cost of base model is ₹12,000, while the top model will cost ₹23,000.
About Indian Oil Corporation:
Chairperson: Shrikant Madhav Vaidya
Headquarters: New Delhi
Founded: 30 June 1959
9. AU Small Finance Bank launches customisable credit card, LIT
- AU Small Finance Bank has launched customised Credit Card product named AU Bank LIT (Live-It-Today).
- This credit card offers a unique value proposition to cardholders.
- Cardholders can choose the features and time period according to their wish.
- Through the AU0101 app, cardholders can track their saving/earnings daily to maximize their benefits.
- Cardholders can get the best of both Cashbacks and Reward Points by using the features.
About AU Small Finance Bank:
Founder: Sanjay Agarwal
10. Karnataka Bank launches video-based customer identification process for account opening
- Karnataka Bank has launched ‘Video-based Customer Identification Process (V-CIP)’.
- It is an online savings bank (SB) account opening facility.
- This facility will enable in the corporate website of the bank, strengthen the prospective customers to open an SB account through online process and complete KYC verification through a video call.
- This is a end-to-end paperless digital process.
- It also reduces the turnaround time of account opening.
About Karnataka Bank:
CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
Founded: 18 February 1924