- Novak Djokovic, the world’s no.1 tennis player, has tested positive for COVID-19. A statement was issued confirming the news. Djokovic recently took part in an exhibition tennis tournament in the Balkans.
- As per the statement, he has tested positive for a virus COVID-19 although he is not showing any symptoms. Novak Djokovic was tested along with his family members with whom he was in Belgrade and Zadar.
- He confirmed that his wife, Jelena Djokovic has also tested positive while the results of their children remain negative. Djokovic is a Serbian professional tennis player who is currently the world’s No. 1 in men’s singles tennis.
- The decision to bring Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs) and Multi-State Cooperative Banks (MSCBs) under the supervision of India’s Central Bank- the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was taken on 24th June 2020 during a meeting of the Union Cabinet.
- The ordinance will immediately come into effect from the date of signature of the President of India. The decision was taken by the Government following the financial irregularities of the Punjab & Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank that was unearthed in the month of September 2019.
- RBI’s supervision means that the 8.6 crore depositors of these 1482 UCBs and 58 MSCBs around the country will be able to get the added protection and comfort that are at present applicable for the scheduled commercial banks in the country, such as Bank Deposit Insurance to per depositor of up to Rs 5 lakh, etc.
Founded: 01 Apr 1935
Headquarters: Mumbai, India
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
3. Foundation Stone Laid for the First Hindu Temple in Pakistan’s Capital Islamabad
- On 23rd June 2020, the foundation stone for the first Hindu Temple in Pakistan’s capital city Islamabad was laid. The temple is the first to be constructed in Islamabad since the Independence of Pakistan.
- The temple will be devoted to Lord Krishna. The name of the temple will be Shri Krishna Mandir. The name of the temple was decided by the Islamabad Hindu Panchayat.
President: Arif Alvi
Prime Minister: Imran Khan
4. IFTAS announces the appointment of Shri T. Rabi Sankar as chairman
- Indian Financial Technology & Allied Services (IFTAS) has announced the appointment of T Rabi Sankar as the Chairman of the organization. IFTAS is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reserve Bank of India.
- T Rabi Sankar, currently serving as Executive Director, Reserve Bank of India for Payment Systems, Information Technology, Risk Management and Fintech has taken over concurrent charge, ex officio, as the Chairman of IFTAS.
- Agency also appoints Dr. N Rajendran as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the organization.
5. India’s GDP to Fall 3.1% in 2020; Geo-Political Tensions Will Increase Risk: Moody’s report
- According to the Moody’s Global Macro Outlook report for June 2020, there will be a contraction of 3.1 % in India’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2020 & expects a change in geographical conditions in Asia due to tensions at the border between India and China.
- Previously in April 2020, Moody’s had forecasted a 0.2 % increase in India’s GDP in 2020. The agency has now revised its estimate of the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic.
- The slight relief for India is that GDP will reach the level of 6.9% in 2021. Till then, there will be a slow recovery in the Indian economy, which will start from the second half (H2) of this year.
Headquarters: NewYork, United States
President & Chief Executive Officer(CEO): Raymond W. McDaniel, Jr.
6. Wasim Jaffer appointed head coach of Uttarakhand cricket team
- Former India opener Wasim Jaffer has been appointed head coach of the Uttarakhand cricket team for the upcoming domestic season.
- The highest run-getter in Ranji Trophy, Jaffer had announced retirement in March this year after playing for over two decades, primarily for domestic giants Mumbai and Vidarbha.
- This will be his first stint as a head coach with a team. Uttarakhand had reached the quarterfinals in their debut Ranji Trophy season in 2018-19, where they lost to Vidarbha, by an innings and 115 runs.
Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
Capital: Gairsain (Summer); Dehradun (Winter)
7. Former India shooter Pournima Zanane passes away after two-year battle with cancer
- Former India shooter Pournima Zanane has passed away aged 42. An International Shooting Sport Federation-licenced coach, Zanane had been suffering from cancer for the past two years and also underwent extensive treatment for the same.
- She has represented India at multiple ISSF World Cups, Asian Championships, Commonwealth Championships, among others.
- Zanane, who was a national record holder in 10m air rifle event, took to coaching and was honoured with the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports award by the Maharashtra government.
- Serbia's President Aleksandar Vucic won the controversial parliamentary election. The Serbian Progressive Party (SNS) won over 60% of the vote, which is around 190 seats in the 250-seat Serbian parliament.
- The general election was originally scheduled for 26 April 2020 but was postponed after a state of the emergency was declared to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. The largest block of parties including the Serbian Radical Party (SRP), the Democratic Party, the Party of Freedom and Justice, The Doors (Dveri), the People’s Party, and the Let's not drown Belgrade movement boycotted the election.
- Siberia Parliament is also known as the National Assembly of Siberia. It has a unicameral legislature. The PM of Siberia is elected and appointed by the 250 elected members of the National Assembly. The President of Siberia is also empowered to propose the name of an individual to the National Assembly for the post of the Prime Minister.
President: Aleksandar Vucic
Prime Minister: Ana Brnabić
- “Information about Country of Origin” has been mandated for the sellers by the Government e-Marketplace (GeM), a Special Purpose Vehicle under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The sellers have been advised to mention “Information about Country of Origin” while registering all new products on GeM.
- While those sellers, who had already registered their products before the launch of this new feature on GeM, would be reminded regularly to update the information about Country of Origin.
- If they fail to update the same, their products shall be removed from GeM.
Ministry of Commerce and Industry: Piyush Goyal
Karnataka Bank launched a new product ‘KBL Micro Mitra’ for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs). This product will provide financial assistance up to Rs 10 lakhs to the Micro manufacturing and service enterprises for working capital or for investment purposes.
The facility has simplified procedure and competitive rate of interest. The product will be available across all branches of the bank & will be soon available in digital version.
About Karnataka Bank:
Headquarters: Mangaluru(Mangalore), Karnataka
Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer: Mahabaleshwara M S