Current Affairs 23 June 2022Current Affairs 23 June 2022
1. Droupadi Murmu set to be elected first tribal woman President of India
- Droupadi Murmu, an Odisha-based Santhal, as its nominee for the highest constitutional position, India may ultimately elect its first tribal president. After the legislative board of the party endorsed what is widely seen as Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pick for Rashtrapati Bhavan, BJP leader JP Nadda announced Murmu’s candidacy.
- Additionally, BJP officials are hoping to win over the AIADMK. Given the tense relations with senior JD(U) leader and Bihar CM Nitish Kumar, Nadda’s claim that all NDA allies had been contacted over Murmu’s candidacy is crucial.
- Murmu checks many political boxes for the BJP as a candidate. The party’s message regarding the PM’s sympathy for tribals, Dalits, and women is expected to be amplified by her candidacy and the likely promotion.
2. International Olympic Day: 23rd June
- International Olympic Day is observed annually on June 23 across the world to commemorate the birth of modern Olympic games.
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) was founded on 23 June 1894.
- The theme for the International Olympic Day 2022 is “Together For A Peaceful World".
- A member of the IOC, named Doctor Gruss has submitted a report suggesting at the 41st session of the International Olympic Committee in Stockholm, to celebrate the Olympic Day.
3. ISRO launches India's Communication satellite 'GSAT-24' from French Guiana
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched India's communication satellite, 'GSAT-24' from Kourou in French Guiana.
- It is built by ISRO for NewSpace India Limited (NSIL).
- It was launched by French company Arianespace.
- It is a 24-Ku band communication satellite, weight 4180 kg, pan-India coverage for meeting DTH application needs.
- This is the first demand driven communication satellite mission undertaken by NSIL after space sector reforms.
Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
Founded: 15 August 1969
4. PM Modi inaugurates 'Vanijya Bhawan', new premises of Commerce Ministry
- PM Modi has inaugurated the new premises of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, 'Vanijya Bhawan' in New Delhi.
- He has also launched a new portal named NIRYAT (National Import-Export Record for Yearly Analysis of Trade).
- The portal was developed as a one stop platform to get all the required information related to India’s foreign trade.
- Vanijya Bhawan, will be used by Department of Commerce and Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade DPIIT.
5. South Indian Bank launches EXIM trade portal, SIB TF Online
- South Indian Bank has launched a new portal for its corporate EXIM customers named ‘SIB TF Online’.
- This portal provides a platform for trade-related payments to foreign entities remotely.
- Through this portal, customer can initiate the payment request on SIB TF Online, after uploading the relevant documents for the transaction.
- The bank launch SIB TF Online in phases.
About South Indian Bank:
CEO: Murali Ramakrishnan
Founded: 29 January 1929
6. Indian Navy conducts 38th coordinated patrol with Indonesian Navy
- India has conducted 38th edition of the Coordinated Patrol with Indonesian Navy (IND-INDO CORPAT) from 13-24 Jun 22.
- INS Karmuk (indigenously built missile corvette) is based at the Andaman and Nicobar Command, along with a Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
- While the Indonesian Navy is being represented by KRI Cut Nyak Dien, a Kapitan Pattimura (PARCHIM I) class corvette.
- The closing ceremony is scheduled at Sabang, Indonesia on 23 June 22.
About Indian Navy:
Headquarters: New Delhi
Founded: 26 January 1950
Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind
7. South Korea launches homegrown Nuri rocket carrying satellites into orbit
- South Korea has successfully launched satellites into orbit with its homegrown Nuri rocket.
- This is a crucial step for the country's space program expansion after a failed attempt last year.
- With this launch, South Korea becomes the 10th country to place a satellite with its own technology.
- Nuri is a three-stage rocket, more than 47 meters (154 feet) long and weighing 200 tons,.
- It was launched from the Naro Space Center.
- Development cost: 2 trillion won ($1.5bn)
About South Korea:
President: Yoon Seok-youl
Currency: South Korean won
8. CARD91 announces strategic partnership with YES BANK and RuPay
- CARD91 has joined hands with YES BANK and RuPay, to create a card management system that will allow companies to launch a variety of co-branded card instruments.
- This will enable CARD91 to expand its presence in the Indian payments market.
- CARD91 is a global payment infrastructure powering B2B payments.
- It was designed to help businesses launch co-branded cards and simplify payments.
About Yes Bank:
CEO: Prashant Kumar
MD& CEO: Dilip Asbe
9. Max Life, Policybazaar launch life insurance savings plan
- Max Life Insurance Company Ltd has launched the ‘Max Life Smart Fixed-return Digital Plan’ with Policybazaar.
- It is a non-linked, non-participating, individual life insurance savings plan.
- This plan helps customers to meet their short-term financial goals.
- The plan also offers guaranteed tax-free returns up to 6.14%.
- Monthly premiums: ₹3000
- Minimum tenure: five years
- The plan is also available to purchase on Max Life’s website and Policybazaar.com.
10. Freo starts offering savings account with Equitas Small Finance Bank
- Freo has launched a digital savings account offering 'Freo Save' in association with Equitas Small Finance Bank.
- With this launch, Freo has become the first consumer neobank in the country to provide full-stack neo-banking products.
- It includes smart savings account, credit and payments products, cards and wealth-growth products.
- The digital savings account has been integrated with Equitas’ infrastructure on the Freo Save App.
- Freo Co-Founder: Anuj Kacker
About Equitas Small Finance Bank:
MD & CEO: Vasudevan P N