Current Affairs - 22 September 2021Current Affairs - 22 September 2021
1. Air marshal VR Chaudhari to be new IAF chief
- Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari has been appointed as the next Chief of the Air Staff (CoAS), with effect from 1st October 2021.
- Presently, he is serving as the Vice Chief of Air Staff.
- He will succeed incumbent Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria, whose tenure will come to end on September 30, 2021.
- He was the chief of Western Air Command from August 1, 2020.
- He also flew several Air Defence missions during 1999 Kargil war with Pakistan.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Founded: 8 October 1932
Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind
2. World Rhino Day 2021: 22nd September
- World Rhino Day is observed on 22nd September every year to celebrates and raise awareness of the need to protect all the five existing species of Rhinoceros.
- Rhino species :
1. Black Rhino
2. White Rhino
3. Greater one-horned Rhino
4. Sumatran Rhino
5. Javan Rhinos
- The day was first announced by World Wildlife Fund-South Africa in 2010.
- It is being observed internationally for the first time in 2011.
3. FSSAI releases 3rd edition of State Food Safety Index 2020-21
- Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya has released the third State Food Safety Index (SFSI) of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) for evaluating food safety across all States/UTs in 2020-21.
- Top state in larger states category: Gujarat, followed by Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Top states in smaller states category: Goa, Meghalaya and Manipur.
- Top UT: Jammu & Kashmir, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and New Delhi.
- He also flagged off 19 Mobile Food Testing Vans.
Founded: August 2011
Headquarters: New Delhi
4. Iran becomes 9th member of Shanghai Cooperation Organization
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) leaders have agreed to change the membership of the Islamic Republic of Iran from an observer state to a full member state.
- After this, Iran becomes the 9th main member of SCO.
- Iran was holding observer status for the past 15 years.
- The technical and legal process could take up to two years to conclude.
- Full member of SCO: China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
Headquarters: Beijing, China
Secretary-General: Vladimir Norov
Founded: 15 June 2001
5. Third India-Indonesia bilateral maritime exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ begins
- Third edition of India and Indonesia bilateral maritime exercise titled as ‘Samudra Shakti’ began on September 20, 2021 in Sunda Strait, Indonesia.
- It is a 3-day exercise and will culminate on 22 Sep 2021.
- Sunda Strait lies between the Indonesian islands of Java and Sumatra.
- Indian Navy has deployed its 2 frontline warships Shivalik and Kadmatt.
- It will strengthen bilateral relationship, enhance mutual understanding and interoperability in maritime operations between 2 navies.
President: Joko Widodo
Currency: Indonesian rupiah
6. Kovalam and Eden beaches get Blue Flag Certification
- Kovalam in Tamil Nadu and Eden in Puducherry beaches has been globally recognized and coveted International eco-label ‘Blue Flag Certification’.
- Foundation for Environment Education in Denmark (FEE) has also given re-certification for 8 nominated beaches Shivrajpur-Gujarat, Ghoghla-Diu, Kasarkod and Padubidri-Karnataka, Kappad-Kerala, Rushikonda- Andhra Pradesh, Golden-Odisha and Radhanagar- A&N.
- Blue Flag is indication of 100% compliance to 33 stringent criteria.
7. ECI organizes National Conference on Accessible Elections
- Election Commission of India has organized a virtual National Conference on Accessible Elections 2021 to assess present accessibility policies and discuss strategies for addressing barriers to enhance participation in electoral process.
- During the conference, crossing Barriers- Accessibility Initiatives 2021 was also launched.
- Braille Language versions of Voter Guide, Letter to new voter and Booklet of 50 motivational songs on voter awareness was also launched.
Formed: 25 January 1950
Headquarters: New Delhi
First executive: Sukumar Sen
CEC of India: Sushil Chandra
8. Telecom Department initiates new reforms with simplifying KYC process
- Dept of Telecommunications (DoT) has started implementation of new telecom reforms by simplifying the KYC (Know Your Customer) process.
- DoT implemented three fresh ways:
- Aadhaar-based e-KYC: It has been re-introduced for new mobile phone connections.
- Self-KYC: Issuance of mobile connection is done via an app/portal-based online process.
- OTP based conversion of connection: It enables a subscriber to convert his mobile connection from prepaid to postpaid and vice-versa.
9. Ministry of Education forms National Steering Committee for Curriculum
- Ministry of Education has formed National Steering Committee for development of National Curriculum Frameworks under K Kasturirangan chairmanship.
- Other members: Mahesh Pant, Govind Prasad Sharma, Najma Akhtar, TV Kattimani, Michel Danino, Milind Kamble, Jagbir Singh, Manjul Bhargava, M K Sridhar, Dhir Jhingran. Shankar Maruwada.
- Committee will develop National Curriculum Frameworks for School Education, Early Childhood Education, Teacher Education, Adult Education.
10. Uttar Pradesh Government to set up ‘Electronic Park’ near Noida
- Uttar Pradesh govt has cleared proposal to develop ‘Electronic Park’, along Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority area, near Noida to promote electronics industry.
- Park is proposed to be developed in 250 acres near Jewar Airport.
- It will be built at an investment of around Rs 50,000 crore as well as generate employment for thousands of local youths.
- Companies manufacturing mobile phones, TVs, electronic devices will establish their units in the park.
About Uttar Pradesh:
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath