Current Affairs - 21 September 2021Current Affairs - 21 September 2021
1. IRCTC partners with Cordelia Cruises for 1st indigenous luxury cruise liner
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) in partnership with Cordelia Cruises has launched India’s first indigenous cruise liner.
- It will take the passengers on-boards to tourist destinations like Goa, Diu, Kochi, the Lakshadweep islands, and Sri Lanka.
- The cruise will have its base from Mumbai and will sail to the Indian destinations only in Phase I.
- Phase II will start from May 2022, whose base will be shifted to Chennai and it will sail to Sri Lanka.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Founder: Ministry of Railways
Founded: 27 September 1999
2. International Day of Peace 2021: 21 September
- International Day of Peace (World Peace Day) is observed every year on 21 September to strengthening the ideals of peace, through observing 24 hours of non-violence and cease-fire.
- This day was established by UN General Assembly in 1981 and was formally designated in 2001.
- Theme 2021: Recovering Better for an Equitable and Sustainable World.
- United Nations Peace Bell is rung at UN Headquarters (in New York City) to inaugurate the day.
3. India ranked 46th in Global Innovation Index 2021
- India has been ranked at 46th place in Global Innovation Index (GII) 2021, that captures the innovation ecosystem performance of 132 economies and tracks the most recent global innovation trends.
- India was ranked 48th in GII 2020.
- Under the Lower middle-income category group, India has been ranked at the second spot after Vietnam.
- Released by: World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- Top performers: Switzerland, Sweden, U.S., U.K. and Republic of Korea.
4. 2021 Emmy Award Winners: A Complete List
- The 73rd Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony was held on September 19, 2021 in Los Angeles, California.
- The award honored the best in U.S. prime time television programming from June 1, 2020, until May 31, 2021, as chosen by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
- 2021 Emmy Award Some winners at the Emmy Award 2021:
Outstanding Drama Series -The Crown
Outstanding Comedy Series - Ted Lasso
Outstanding Variety Talk Show- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Outstanding Limited Series -The Queen’s Gambit
Outstanding Actor – Comedy: Jason Sudeikis – Ted Lasso
Outstanding Actor – Drama: Josh O’Connor
Outstanding Actor – Limited Series or Movie: Ewan McGregor –Halston
Outstanding Actress – Comedy: Jean Smart – Hacks
Outstanding Actress – Drama: Olivia Colman – The Crown
Outstanding Actress – Limited Series or Movie: Kate Winslet – Mare of Easttown
5. SpaceX first all-civilian crew land back safely
- SpaceX launched world’s first all-civilian crew into Earth orbit under the mission named as Inspiration-4 by SpaceX`s Falcon 9 rocket from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida on September 16, 2021 and came back on 19 September.
- It had 4 members and features no trained astronauts, who spent time in orbit in SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, dubbed as Resilience.
- Four members: Jared Isaacman (mission commander), Sian Proctor, Hayley Arceneaux, Chris Sembroski.
Founded: 6 May 2002
CEO: Elon Musk
Headquarters: Hawthorne, California, United States
6. Canadian PM Justin Trudeau wins historic third term
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hung onto power on 20 September as his main rival conceded defeat, but his Liberals fell short of his goal for a majority win.
- Trudeau, in power since 2015 and governing with a minority of House of Commons seats since 2019, decided to gamble on an early vote and capitalize on his government’s handling of the pandemic, which included massive spending to support individuals and businesses and a push for high vaccination rates.
Prime minister: Justin Trudeau
Currency: Canadian dollar
7. NCW launches Capacity Building Program For Women
- National Commission for Women (NCW) has launched a country-wide capacity building and personality development program for women Undergraduate and Post graduate students.
- For this, NCW is collaborating with Central and State universities for organizing sessions to prepare women students for entering the job market.
- 1st program was launched in collaboration with the Central University of Haryana.
- The course will focus on learning and applying the use of intuitive, logical, etc.
Headquarters: New Delhi
First executive: Jayanti Patnaik
8. Power Finance Corp set to be India’s 11th Maharatna CPSE
- Power Finance Corp. Ltd (PFC) is set to become the 11th Maharatna central public sector enterprise (CPSE).
- Maharatna status will give PFC enhanced powers to undertake mergers and acquisitions.
- 10 Maharatna CPSEs: BHEL, Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd, Coal India Ltd, GAIL (India) Ltd, Hindustan Petroleum Corp. Ltd, Indian Oil Corp, NTPC, Oil & Natural Gas Corp., Power Grid Corp. of India, and Steel Authority of India Ltd. There are 14 Navratna and 73 Miniratna CPSEs.
9. M.S. Dhoni named mentor for Indian Men’s Team for T20 World Cup 2021
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been named as the Mentor of the Indian cricket Men’s team for ICC T20 World Cup 2021.
- T20 world cup will be played in Oman and UAE from October 18 onwards.
- Virat Kohli has recently announced to step down as the captain of T20 cricket team after the World Cup.
- It will be Dhoni's first stint as a member of the support staff of the Indian cricket team.
- Dhoni had previously mentored Jharkhand in domestic tournaments.
10. Raja Rithvik becomes India's 70th grandmaster
- R Raja Rithvik (17 years) from Warangal has become India’s 70th and newest chess Grandmaster (GM).
- He has achieved his third and final norm Chess Tournaments in Budapest, Hungary, to enter the GM club.
- Rithvik earned his first GM norm in 2019.
- He touched the magical 2500 Elo mark in the fourth round of the tournament after beating Vaclav Finek.