Current Affairs - 19 July 2021Current Affairs - 19 July 2021
1.Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix 2021
- Mercedes’s Lewis Hamilton (UK) won the British Grand Prix 2021 (record 8th time).
- The win was the 99th of seven-times world champion Hamilton's Formula One career, fourth of the current campaign.
- The event was held at the Silverstone Circuit in the United Kingdom.
- Monaco-based Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc finished at second.
- Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas (Finland) finished third after being told to let Hamilton through to chase Leclerc.
2.USA announce new Quad group for Afghan peace process
- The US, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan will create a new Quad group to promote the Afghan peace process, stability and trade in the region.
- The parties consider long-term peace and stability in Afghanistan critical to regional connectivity and agree that peace and regional connectivity are mutually reinforcing.
- This development comes as the security situation in Afghan has been deteriorating following the withdrawal of US military forces from the country.
Capital: Washington, D.C.
President: Joe Biden
Currency: United States Dollar
3.Tripura to promote commercial cultivation of agar
- The government of Tripura has taken initiatives to promote commercial cultivation of Agar trees and has set a target of achieving Rs 2,000 crore business from this sector in the coming three years.
- Tripura government has plans to export 1,500 kg of Agar oil and 75,000 kg of Agar chips in the year 2021-22.
- Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb had met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday and apprised him about the potential of Agar trees.
- Tripura government has launched a draft named Tripura Agar Wood Policy 2021 and a target has been set up of doubling the plantation by the year 2025. Currently, there are over 50 lakh agar trees in the state.
- Chief Minister of Tripura had also requested PM Modi for fixing a quota on Agarwood exportation and its products.
Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
Governor: Satyadev Narayan
4.OFT hands delivery of 25 remote control guns to Navy, Coast Guard
- Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirappalli handed over the locally assembled 12.7 mm Stabilised Remote Control Gun (SRCG) system to the Navy and Coast Guard for enhanced surveillance.
- The first batch consisted of 25 weapons.
- They were assembled in the Trichy factory through the transfer of technology (ToT) initiative with the support of Israel-based defense company Elbit Systems.
- The SRCG is fitted with a 12.7 mm M2 NATO standard heavy machine gun.
5.MeitY inked MoU with MapmyIndia to enable map services in UMANG App
- MeitY has inked an MoU with MapmyIndia to enable the map services in “UMANG App”
- Aim: to ease the lives of citizens by facilitating online delivery of Government services and further enhance the initiatives of Digital India Programme, keeping in view the theme of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’.
- After this citizens will be able to find government facilities nearest to their location, such as mandis, blood banks, and much more, at the click of a button.
6.FDI limit in NPS fund managers hiked to 74%
- The govt notified a hike in the FDI limit in pension fund management to 74% from 49% under the national pension system (NPS).
- The higher FDI limit in pension fund managers (PFMs) follows a Parliament nod in March to hike the FDI limit in the insurance business to 74% from 49%.
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Act links the FDI ceiling in the sector to the same in the insurance sector.
7.Bank of Maharashtra signs MoU with NABARD
- Bank of Maharashtra has signed an MoU with NABARD to boost ongoing developmental initiatives linked to priority sector lending in Maharashtra.
- The MoU envisages joint initiatives for the benefit of farmers, farmer producer organisations, joint liability groups, self help groups, rural artisans, weavers, agri-preneurs, agri start-ups, micro, small and medium enterprises in the State.
- BoM is the convener of State Level Bankers’ Committee (SLBC) for Maharashtra.
Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
8.Viswanathan Anand won the Sparkassen Trophy
- Viswanathan Anand won the Sparkassen Trophy held in Dortmund, Germany.
- He defeated Vladimir Kramnik of Russia in his 4th and final round.
- Playing white in a Tarrasch variation, Anand settled for a draw in 40 moves, to win the match 2.5-1.5.
- The event was played as part of the "No-Castling" Chess devised by the Russian GM.
- Castling is a special move to protect the king and activate the rook. It is the only time in chess a player can move two pieces in one move.
9.Mumbai-based film-maker Payal Kapadia wins Best Documentary Award at Cannes
- Mumbai-based filmmaker Payal Kapadia has bagged the Oeil d'or (Golden Eye) award for Best Documentary for her film 'A Night of Knowing Nothing' at Cannes Film Festival.
- 'A Night of Knowing Nothing' has emerged the winner in a list of 28 documentaries submitted from around the world.
10.Monk fruit cultivation begins in Kullu for first time
- The cultivation of monk fruit (Siraitia grosvenorii) from China has been taken up for the first time in India by the Palampur-based CSIR-IHBT.
- The monk fruit is known for its properties as non-caloric natural sweetener. Its sweet taste is attributed to cucurbitane-type triterpene glycosides known as mogrosides, which is about 300 times sweeter than sucrose or cane sugar.
- In spite of its high demand, this crop is only cultivated in China. However, suitable agro climatic conditions are also available in India, particularly in Himachal.