- Sustainable Gastronomy Day is observed globally on 18th June every year.
- This day is observed to acknowledge gastronomy as a cultural expression related to nature as well as the cultural diversity of the world.
- As the COVID-19 pandemic is still unfolding across the globe, sustainable gastronomy - celebrating seasonal ingredients and producers, preserving wildlife as well as our culinary traditions - is today more relevant than ever.
- The tenure of former supreme court judge DK Jain as the ethics officer and ombudsman of Board of Control for Cricket in India(BCCI) got a 1year extension in June 2020 due to the current covid-19 situation. He was the first-ever ombudsman of BCCI appointed by the supreme court in February 2019.
- He was appointed as the He took additional changes as the ethics officer of BCCI. His tenure as the ethics officer and ombudsman of BCCI ended on 29th February 2020 and he resumed office after the renewal of his contract in June 2020.
President– Sourav Ganguly
- The Asian Paralympic Committee(APC) announced that the 4th Asian Youth Para Games will take place in Bahrain from December(1-10) 2021. The event will be organised in partnership with the National Paralympic Committee(NPC) of Bahrain with the support of the local government.
- This is the 1st time Bahrain will host a big para-sport event
- The competition will take place across numerous venues in Khalifa Sports City, a multi-use stadium in Isa Town, and Isa Sports City.
APC is the only official representative of the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) in Asia, and the owner of the Para Games in the region.
Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates(UAE)
President: Majid Rashed, UAE
About Bahrain Paralympic Committee:
Chairman: Shaikh Mohammed bin Duaij Al Khalifa
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch 'Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan' on June 20 to boost livelihood opportunities in rural India.
- The Government of India has decided to launch a massive rural public works scheme 'Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan' to empower and provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and rural citizens.
- The campaign of 125 days across 116 districts in 6 states aims to work in mission mode to help migrant workers.
- It will involve intensified and focused implementation of 25 different types of works to provide jobs and create infrastructure in the rural regions of the country.
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has recommended former Indian skipper I.M. Vijayan for India’s fourth-highest civilian award, Padma Shri.
- The legendary Indian striker had debuted in the early 90s and scored 40 goals in 79 matches. He was honoured with the Arjuna Award in 2003.
- I.M. Vijayan had led the Indian team between 2000 and 2003 and formed a formidable pair with fellow striker Bhaichung Bhutia.
- Vijayan had scored one of the fastest international goals in just 12 seconds during a match against Bhutan in the 1999 SAF Games.
Founded: 23 Jun 1937
President: Praful Patel
Headquarters: Dwarka, Delhi
- Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain has tested positive for COVID-19. He was admitted to a hospital following high fever.
- The first report of Mr. Jain was negative. The minister was tested again after 24 hours today and this time, he tested positive.
- On Sunday morning, Jain had attended the meeting chaired by Union home minister Amit Shah along with Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal, chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia. “Social distancing was strictly adhered to in the meeting but whether others present in the meeting should get tested would depend on what the health officials recommend after the contact tracing exercise,” said a senior government official.
- Two Indian firms – Zest Money and Stellapps - figure in a new list of Tech Pioneers released by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- The list described these 100 entities as future headline-makers addressing global issues with cutting-edge technology.
- From artificial intelligence (AI) to carbon capture, these companies are using innovations to protect the climate, improve healthcare and much more, helping us to reset society and build towards a better future.
- This year's class of Technology Pioneers are improving society and advancing their industries around the world.
- Azerbaijan’s Shakhriyar Mamedyarov bagged top honours at the World Stars Sharjah Online International Chess Championship.
- Grandmaster Mamedyarov won the coveted title and pocketed $3000 with 7.5 points from 10 rounds Indian Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna finished second with 6.5 points after losing his 10th and final round game to Radoslaw Wojtszek.
- Both Mamedyarov and Harikrishna had chances to win the title as at the start of the final round they were on 6.5 points each.
- Luck eluded the Indian as he lost his 10th and final round game to Poland’s Radoslaw Wojtszek. Harikrishan finished second with 6.5 points.
- Mamedyarov, who remained the only unbeaten player in the double round-robin tournament, got the better off UAE Grandmaster Salem Abdulrahman Mohamed Saleh to grab the victory.
- Former Goa minister Achyut Kashinath Sinai Usgaonkar passed away following age-related ailments.
- Usgaonkar was a leader of the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP), the oldest regional outfit in Goa.
- He served as a cabinet minister from August 13, 1977 to April 27, 1979 in the then Shashikala Kakodkar government of Goa, Daman and Diu.
- Before serving as a minister, Achyut Usgaonkar was the deputy speaker of Goa during the Dayanand Bandodkar-led government.
- Bandodkar was the first chief minister of the coastal state.
- India was elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for a two-year term after winning 184 votes in the 193-member General Assembly.
- Along with India, Ireland, Mexico and Norway also won the Security Council elections.
- India was a candidate for a non-permanent seat from the Asia-Pacific category for the 2021-22 term.
- Its victory was certain as it was the sole candidate vying for the lone seat from the grouping. India's two year term will begin on January 1, 2021.
- This is the eighth time that India will sit at the UN high-table, which comprises five permanent members and 10 non-permanent members.
About UNSC(United Nations Security Council):
Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
Founded: 24 October 1945
Parent organization: United Nations