Current Affairs 17 May 2022Current Affairs 17 May 2022
1. President Emmanuel Macron names Elisabeth Borne as new French Prime Minister
- President of France, Emmanuel Macron has appointed Elisabeth Borne as the nation's new Prime Minister.
- She becomes the second woman to hold this position after Edith Cresson (1991-1992) under President Francois Mitterrand.
- She joined Macron’s centrist party in 2017.
- She is a former Transport, Ecology and Labour minister.
- She has succeeded Jean Castex, who had led the French cabinet since July 2020 and resigned recently.
Prime minister: Élisabeth Borne
Currency: French franc
President: Emmanuel Macron
2. World Hypertension Day 2022: May 17
- World Hypertension Day is observed on May 17 every year to raise awareness about the symptoms of hypertension.
- The theme of WHD for 2022 is Measure Your Blood Pressure Accurately, Control It, Live Longer.
- Hypertension or high blood pressure occurs when the blood pressure rises to an unhealthy level of 140/90.
- Hypertension is a major cause of cardiovascular disease and premature death worldwide.
- World Hypertension Day was first observed in May 2005.
3. Adani become India's second-biggest cement maker company
- Adani Group has acquired a controlling stake in Swiss-based Holcim AG's cement businesses in India in a $10.5 billion deal.
- The Group has acquired 63.19% of Ambuja Cements Ltd and its subsidiary ACC in the bidding with companies.
- With this deal, Adani becomes the second biggest cement producer in the country after the Aditya Birla Group-owned UltraTech Cement.
- The divestment of India businesses by Holcim is to reduce its reliance on carbon-intensive cement production.
4. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud elected as new president of Somalia
- The former leader of Somalia, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has been elected as the new president of the country for four years, after defeating the current president, Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo.
- Out of 328 MPs, Mohamud has received 214 votes and Farmajo won 110 votes only.
- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, also served as Somalia's president between 2012 and 2017.
Currency: Somali shilling
President: Hassan Sheikh Mohamud
Prime Minister: Mohamed Hussein Roble
5. Rajnath Singh inducts two indigenously built warships into Indian Navy
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the two frontline warships of the Indian Navy at Mazgaon Docks Limited, Mumbai which will mark a significant milestone in their construction.
- The first ship is Surat, which is the fourth and last of the stealth destroyers under the 'Project 15B' programme.
- The second ship is Udaygiri, part of the 'Project 17A' frigate programme. It is the third ship of Project 17A frigates.
About Indian Navy:
Founded: 26 January 1950
Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind
Headquarters: New Delhi
6. RBI imposes Rs 59 lakh penalty on KEB Hana Bank
- RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs 59 lakh on KEB Hana Bank for non-compliance with certain norms related to the interest rates on deposits.
- The bank has been penalised under the "Reserve Bank of India (Interest Rate on Deposits) Directions, 2016".
- The RBI has conducted a statutory inspection for supervisory evaluation of KEB Hana Bank with reference to its financial position as of March 31, 2020.
About KEB Hana Bank:
Headquarters: Seoul, South Korea
Headquarters: Mumbai, India
Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
7. WPI inflation at record high of 15.08% in April on price rise across all items
- Wholesale price-based inflation has risen to 15.08% in April on rising prices across segments from food to commodities.
- The WPI-based inflation was 14.55% in March 2022 and 10.74% in April 2021.
- Reason: due to the rise in prices of mineral oils, basic metals, crude petroleum & natural gas, food articles, non-food articles, food products etc.
- The WPI inflation has remained double-digit for the 13th consecutive month since April 2021.
8. RBI appoints Sitikantha Pattanaik and Rajiv Ranjan as executive directors
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed Sitikantha Pattanaik and Rajiv Ranjan as executive directors with effect from May 1.
- Ranjan will serve as an ex-officio member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) while Pattanaik will serve as the Department of Economic and Policy Research (DEPR).
- Prior to being promoted, Pattanaik was an Adviser in the DEPR and Ranjan served as Adviser-in-Charge of Monetary Policy Department and Secretary to the MPC.
9. Drake wins Billboard Music Awards 2022 in Top Artist category
- Drake has won the Billboard Music Awards 2022 in the top artist, male artist, rap artist, rap male artist and rap album (for Certified Lover Boy) category.
- BTS has also won three awards in the Top Duo/Group, Top Selling Song, and Top Song Sales Artist categories.
- Top New Artist: Olivia Rodrigo
- Top Female Artist: Olivia Rodrigo
- Top Billboard 200 Artist: Taylor Swift
- Top Radio Songs Artist: Olivia Rodrigo
- Top Billboard Global 2022 Artist (New): Olivia Rodrigo
10. Sift Kaur Samra clinched Gold at ISSF Junior World Cup in Germany
- India's Sift Kaur Samra won the individual women’s 50m rifle 3 positions (3P) like Prone, the Standing and the Kneeling positions, event to take India’s gold medal tally to 10 at the ISSF Junior World Cup 2022 in Suhl, Germany.
- She beat Julie Johannessen (Norway) by 17-9 in the final.
- India's Ashi Chouksey has also won bronze in the same event.
- Presently, India leads the tally with 25 medals which include 10 gold, 12 silver and 3 bronze.
President: Frank-Walter Steinmeier
Chancellor: Olaf Scholz