- International Day of Family Remittances 2020 aka IDFR is celebrated each year on June 16 across the world.
- The day is organised by the United Nations and is universally accepted.
- This day is celebrated to recognise the efforts of migrants who help to improve the lives of their family members back home.
- India’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has made some changes to the monitoring structure of Financial Markets Infrastructure (FMI) and Retail Payment Systems (RPSs) with the aim to ensure the security and stability of the payment structure.
- According to the document, the Reserve Bank will monitor existing and planned systems, financial market infrastructure, and retail payment systems through assessment. It will also change it if necessary for improvement
- This document will increase transparency in surveillance and disclosures and improve regulatory compliance by payment system operators & will also increase customer awareness, which will result in better security, stability and betterment of our payment system.
About Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Formation: 1 April 1935
Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Minister of State for Home Affairs G Kishan Reddy launched a robot ‘GermiBAN’. The robot carries essentials products to frontline COVID-19 workers.
- The robot was developed by a Hyderabad-based company, namely AIC ALEAP of the WEHub.
- The device has the capability of killing 99.9% of surface and air microbes.
Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- India’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its Discussion Paper on ‘Governance in Commercial Banks in India’ proposed to set the age limit of Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and whole time directors (WTDs) belonging to the promoter group of banks to 70 years and maximum tenure of 10 years. This offer has been made to improve administration in the banking sector.
- The tenure has been limited in order to strengthen the culture of consistent governance and to adopt the principle of separating management from ownership.
- The “e-Office” application has been launched in over 500 CGST and Customs offices across India by the Chairman of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), M. Ajit Kumar.
- The launch of the application marks a fundamental change in internal office procedures that are so far based on manual handling of files and paper movement.
- The “e-Office” is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) under the National e-Governance of India. “e-Office” has been developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC) and is supported by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG).
About CBIC(Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs):
Chairperson: M. Ajit Kumar
Founded: 1 January 1964
Headquarters: New Delhi
Motto: देशसेवार्थ करसंचय
- Airtel Payments Bank launched a new salary account for micro, small and medium enterprises.
- Called the Suraksha Salary account, it will enable MSMEs and other organisations to make cashless payments and provide a financial security blanket to their employees.
- The account has no minimum balance condition.
- It offers no charges on cash withdrawals of upto Rs 50,000 and deposits of upto Rs 20,000 in one month.
- The account holder also gets two free cardless cash withdrawal via IMT at ATMs across the country.
- The account holder can make online money transfers to any bank across India.
CEO: Anubrata Biswas
Parent organization: Bharti Airtel
- Diplomat Shambhu S Kumaran has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Philippines.
- Kumaran is presently Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Morocco.
- During January 2016-May 2019, he was on deputation to the Ministry of Defence as Joint Secretary (Planning and International Cooperation).
President: Rodrigo Duterte
Currency: Philippine peso
8. Chef Angad Singh Rana won the QualityNZ Culinary Cup 2020
- Chef Angad Singh Rana has won QualityNZ Culinary Cup 2020.
- The award was announced by Cricket legend and Chennai Super Kings coach Stephen Fleming.
- Chef Angad Singh Rana grabbed the QualityNZ Culinary Cup 2020 alongside INR 50,000 worth of QualityNZ lamb and seafood and a Weber BBQ valued at over INR 46,000.
- The panel of judges included the heads of the Culinary Association, Chef Davinder Kumar, Chef Salil Fadnis, Chef Jugesh Arora and Stephen Fleming.
- Former New Zealand Test cricketer Matt Poore, who is remembered for catching a stray dog during a match in Bangalore in 1955, has died at the age of 90.
- He was featured in 14 Tests for New Zealand, scoring 355 runs and picking up nine wickets between 1953-1956.
- He also played 61 Tests for Canterbury and scored 2,336 runs and ended up with 68 wickets.
- A violent face-off reportedly took place between Indian and Chinese troops at Galwan Valley in Ladakh Monday night during de-escalation process. One Indian Army officer and two soldiers were martyred. Senior military officials of both nations are currently conducting talks at the place to defuse the situation.
- This unprecedented escalation at the border is the first between the two sides along the India- China border since 1975. According to an ANI tweet quoting Editor In Chief of a Chinese Newspaper, the Chinese side also suffered casualties during the physical clash at Galwan.
President: Xi Jinping
Currency: Chinese Yuan