Current Affairs 15 July, 2019Current Affairs 15 July, 2019
1. Kalraj Mishra appointed the Governor of Himachal Pradesh
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Kalraj Mishra as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
- Acharya Devvrat has been transferred from Himachal Pradesh and appointed as the governor of Gujarat.
- CM of Gujarat : Vijay Rupani;
- CM of Himachal Pradesh: Jai Ram Thakur.
2. ISRO calls off Chandrayaan 2 launch due to technical glitch
- India’s ambitious moon mission, Chandrayaan-2 has been called off due to a technical snag in just 56 minutes and 24 seconds before its scheduled launch. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) confirmed that the launch had been cancelled after a technical snag was detected in one of the launch systems of the GSLVMkIII-M1 (Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III).
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Chairperson: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
3. World Youth Skills Day observed globally on 15th July
- World Youth Skills Day (WYSD) was observed on July 15, 2019. It is celebrated to create awareness on the importance of investing in youth skills development. The theme for the year is “Learning to learn for life and work”.
- WYSD in India
- On the occasion of WYSD, National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) partnered with Canada-based BetterU to provide opportunities for India’s youth to gain access to learning at affordable prices.
- Aim is to integrate NSDC’s current solutions and technologies and collaborate with its partners to strengthen current systems.
- The fourth anniversary of the Skill India Mission was also observed with the main function held in New Delhi.
- Headquarters: New York, US
- President: María Fernanda Espinosa (73rd session), Prof. Tijjani Muhammad Bande (designated for the 74th session, September 2019)
About Skill India Mission:
- It is also knowns as the National Skill Development Mission.
- It was launched on July 15, in 2015.
4. Djokovic beats Federer to win fifth Wimbledon title 2019
- Serbian Novak Djokovic won his fifth Wimbledon title after defeating Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer.
- This is Djokovic's 16th Grand Slam and 5th Wimbledon title. He is now level with Bjorn Borg as a five-time Wimbledon winner.
- Here is the Complete List of Winners of the Wimbledon 2019 (with their Respective Countries)
|Sr. No.||Category||Winner||Runner Up|
|1||Men's Singles||N. Djokovic (Serbia)||R. Federer (Switzerland)|
|2||Women's Singles||S. Halep (Romania)||Serena Williams(USA)|
|3||Men’s Doubles||Juan Sebastian Cabal (Colombia) and Robert Farah (Colombia)||Nicolas Mahut (France) and Edouard Roger Vasselin (France)|
|4||Women’s Doubles||S W. Hsieh (Taiwan) and B. Strycova (Czech Republic)||G. Dabrowski (Canada) and Y. Xu (China)|
|5||Mixed Doubles||I.Dodig (Croatia) and L. Chan (Taiwan)||R. Lindstedt (Sweden) and J. Ostapenko (Latvia)|
5. Lewis Hamilton wins sixth British Grand Prix.
- On July 14 2019, Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won record sixth British Grand Prix his seventh victory in ten races in 2019 and the 80th win of his career at the Silverstone Circuit in Silverstone, United Kingdo
- Mercedes, Valtteri Bottas attained second position and Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc attained third position in the Grand Prix.
6. Hima Das sprints to 3rd international gold within two weeks
- Star Indian sprinter Hima Das(24) from Assam clinched her 3rd international gold within two weeks in women’s 200m race with a time of 23.43 seconds and Muhammed Anas Yahiya (Kerala) also won gold in the men’s 400m with the time of 45.21 seconds at the Kladno Memorial Athletics Meet 2019 in Czech Republic.
- Das won her second 200m gold in women’s 200m race with a time of 23.97 secondsat the Kutno Athletics Meet 2019 in Poland on July 8,2019.
- She won the 1st 200m race gold at the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix with the time of 23.65 sec in Poland on July 2,2019.
7. Kerala Government to set up India’s First-ever Elephant Rehabilitation at Rs 105 cr
- The Kerala government will set up India’s first elephant rehabilitation centre named Kottoor Elephant Rehabilitation Centre at Kottoor, an ecotourism village situated nearly 35 km from Thiruvananthapuram, at an outlay of Rs 105 crore. The phase 1 of the project was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan in June 2019.
- It will take care of jumbos which were either orphaned or abandoned and has plans to accommodate aged captive elephants.
- It will house an elephant museum, mahout training centre, a well-equipped veterinary hospital and crematorium for the pachyderms.
8. Chandrakant Kavlekar sworn in as the new Deputy CM of Goa
- Chandrakant Kavlekar to be the new Deputy Chief Minister of Goa. He will replace Vijai Sardesai as the deputy chief minister of Goa.
- Kavlekar is also known as Chandrakant 'Babu' Kavlekar. He is an Indian Politician from the state of Goa. He is a four term member of the Goa Legislative Assembly. On 11 July 2019 he left Indian National Congress and joined Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Chief Minister of Goa: Pramod Sawant;
- Governor: Mridula Sinha.
9. Shah Rukh Khan will be felicitated with an Honorary Doctorate by Melbourne’s La Trobe University
- In recognition of the contributions and efforts towards underprivileged children, women’s empowerment through Meer Foundation and for the achievements in the Indian entertainment industry, Shah Rukh Khan, the Bollywood actor, will be felicitated with an Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters (honoris causa) from Melbourne-based La Trobe University at the 10th edition of Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) at Bundoora, Australia.
- It will be held on August 9, 2019 where Mr. Khan will be the chief guest.
- It will be Khan’s first Australian University Award.
10. Russia launches space telescope Spektr-RG
- Russia launched a space telescope from the cosmodrome in Baikonur, Kazakhstan. It was a joint project with Germany. The Russian space agency, showed a Proton-M rocketcarrying the Spektr-RG taking off from the launch pad.
- The Spektr-RG, is a space observatory intended to replace the Spektr-R, known as the “Russian Hubble”, Spektr-R was launched in 2011 to observe black holes, neutron stars and magnetic fields. Its successor will take up similar duties.
- President of Russia: Vladimir Putin
- Capital of Russia: Moscow
- Currency of Russia: Ruble.