Current Affairs - 14 October 2021Current Affairs - 14 October 2021
1. Sajjan Jindal appointed chairman of World Steel Association
- World Steel Association (WSA) has elected Sajjan Jindal, Chairman and Managing Director of JSW Steel Ltd, as Chairman for the year 2021-22.
- Jindal is the first representative from India to serve as Chairman of the WSA. JSW Steel is the flagship business of the diversified $13 billion JSW Group and engaged in the manufacturing of iron and steel products in India and across the globe.
- Worldsteel acts as the focal point for the steel industry, providing global leadership on all major strategic issues impacting the industry, particularly focusing on economic, environmental and social sustainability.
About World Steel Association:
Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
Founded: 10 July 1967
2. International E-Waste Day: 14 October
- International E-Waste Day (IEWD) is observed every year on 14 October every year to promote the correct disposal of e-waste throughout the world, increasing re-use, recovery and recycling rates.
- Theme for 2021 IEWD: Consumer is the key to Circular Economy!
- 2021 is the 4th edition of the International E-Waste Day.
- IEWD was developed in 2018 by WEEE Forum, an international association of e-waste collection schemes, with the support of its members.
3. India ranks 3rd in 2021 Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index
- India has retained 3rd rank in 58th Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index (RECAI) released by Ernst & Young
- 2021 RECAI ranked top 40 global markets of the world on attractiveness of their renewable energy investment and deployment opportunities
- Top performer: US, followed by China
- New PPA Index has been introduced in this edition of RECAI focuses on the attractiveness of renewable power procurement and ranks the growth potential of corporate PPA market
4. Delhi to soon have driving licenses with QR codes
- Delhi Transport Dept will soon issue QR based Smart cards for driving licenses (DLs) and registration certificates (RCs) for digitization the DL system.
- New driving license will have an advanced microchip with features like QR code and Near Field Communication .
- It will have owner's name on the front while microchip and QR will be embedded at the back of the card.
- It will also enable unification in linking and validating information to smart cards with Sarathi and Vahan.
Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
Governor: Anil Baijal
5. Meghalaya govt launches Special Postal Covers
- Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma has launched Special Postal Covers of Pa Togan N. Sangma and Citrus Indica (Memang Narang) at Williamnagar.
- It was launched to mark the 75th Year of Independence which is being observed as Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- It is a befitting tribute of the heroic legendary freedom fighter from the Garo Hills
- Meghalaya will come up with a special financial support to create infrastructure to be dedicated in memory of Pa Togan Sangma at Chisolbibra
Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma
6. ADB raises 2019–2030 Climate Financing Goal to $100 Billion
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has announced to increase its climate financing goals 2019-2030 for developing member countries (DMCs) by $20 billion to $100 billion
- Prior to this, ADB had announced $80 billion goal for climate financing in 2018 for developing countries in Asia during 2019-2030
- Additional $20 billion in financing support will be used for climate mitigation efforts including low-carbon energy sources, etc
Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
President: Masatsugu Asakawa
Founded: 19 December 1966
7. NHAI sings MoU with TIDCO for development of MMLP in Chennai
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signs MoU with Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO) for development of a Multimodal Logistics Park (MMLP) at VOC Port in Chennai.
- It will be developed through Public Private Partnership, providing land and connectivity and the actual MMLP infrastructure to be developed by a private developer.
- All the three stake holders viz, Chennai Port Authority, TIDCO and NHAI will be equity partners in the proposed SVP.
Headquarters: New Delhi
8. Dept of Post launches digital version of Postal Life Insurance policy bonds
- Department of Posts has launched digital version of the Postal Life Insurance policy bonds, termed as ‘ePLI bond’, on the occasion of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- ePLI bond is first the digital integration of Postal Department with Digilocker that will greatly facilitate citizens, providing ease of access and quick claim settlements.
- It is made available in collaboration with DIGILOCKER, National eGovernance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY).
9. Arun Kumar Mishra appointed EESL's chief executive officer
- Arun Kumar Mishra has been appointed as the chief executive officer (CEO) of Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL).
- He is a veteran in the energy sector, with more than three decades of experience in NTPC and Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- EESL is a joint venture between NTPC Ltd, Power Finance Corporation, REC and PowerGrid, was set up under the power ministry to facilitate the implementation of energy efficiency projects.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Key people: R. K. Singh; K Sreekant
10. Govt accorded ‘Maharatna’ status to PFC
- Govt has accorded ‘Maharatna’ status to the state-owned Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC), thus giving PFC greater operational and financial autonomy by Dept of Public Enterprises
- It will enable PFC to offer competitive financing for power sector, which will go a long way in making available affordable & reliable ‘Power For All 24x7’.
- PFC was incorporated in 1986 and is the largest Infrastructure Finance Company under the administrative control of Ministry of Power.