Current Affairs - 13 May 2021Current Affairs - 13 May 2021
1.Delhi police launched vehicle helpline ' COVI Van' for senior citizens
- The Delhi Police have launched a vehicle helpline called 'COVI Van' to help senior citizens in South Delhi. The move comes in view of the vulnerability of senior residents amid the raging second wave of coronavirus pandemic across India.
- According to Delhi Police, the beat officer will visit the senior citizens with the 'COVI Van' and help them with their hospitalisation, vaccination or take them to nearby markets to buy medicines or items of daily needs.
- Initially, the facility has been initiated at Greater Kailash police station, a report in Hindustan Times said quoting Atul Thakur Deputy commissioner of police (south).
About New Delhi:
Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
Governor: Anil Baijal
2.Bangladesh conducted first test run for Metro train in Dhaka
- The test run of the first electrical metro train in Bangladesh was conducted in Dhaka.
- Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader inaugurated the metro rail test run virtually.
- Six coaches of the metro train imported from Japan left the workshop inside the metro rail workshop in Diabari in Dhaka to travel about 500 metres at slow speed.
- Japanese Ambassador to Bangladesh Naoki Ito was also present on the occasion at the test site.
- He stated that the first metro and electrified train in Bangladesh will be a symbol of the changing face of Dhaka.
- After the ‘receiving inspection’, the trains will go through a functional test followed by a performance test in August.
Currency: Bangladeshi taka
Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
President: Abdul Hamid
3.4th India-Swiss financial dialogue held virtually
- The fourth India-Swiss Financial Dialogue was held here virtually through video conferencing.
- Ajay Seth, Secretary Economic Affairs led the Indian delegation. The delegation from the Swiss side was led by Daniela Stoffel, State Secretary, State Secretariat for International Finance, Switzerland, said an official press release.
- The Indian delegation included representatives from Department of Economic Affairs, Department of Revenue, Department of Financial Services and Ministry of External Affairs.
Currency: Swiss franc
President: Guy Parmelin
4.Paytm Foundation donates oxygen generation plant, 100 concentrators to Gujarat
- To meet the rising oxygen demand for the treatment of COVID-19 patients, the Paytm Foundation has donated 100 oxygen concentrators along with an oxygen generation plant to Gujarat.
- While the plant will be set up at the main civil hospital in the city, 100 oxygen concentrators will be distributed to different government-run hospitals in the state through the Corona Sewa Yagna’ initiative being run by an NGO under the guidance of Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat.
- Paytm Foundation is the CSR arm of financial service firm Paytm.
Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Founded: 2009, Noida
CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Chief minister: Vijay Rupani
5.Jana Small Finance Bank launched I choose my number feature for customers
- Jana Small Finance Bank announced the launch of “I choose my number” feature for all its customers across India.
- This new feature gives the bank’s existing and new customers the option to select their favorite numbers as their savings or current account number.
- Numbers play a very important role in the lives of the majority of Indians.
- Some numbers are special to one, be it a lucky number, the favorite vehicle’s number plate, birthday or wedding date, a memorable phone number, etc.
- Considering this love and obsession for numbers, this feature of Jana Small Finance Bank will allow its customers to choose their favorite numbers as the last 10 digits of their bank account, savings or current.
- The allocation of the account number chosen by the customer will be subject to availability of the requested number.
About Jana Small Finance Bank:
Headquarters location: Bengaluru
Founded: 2008, Bengaluru
CEO: Ajay Kanwal
6.McDonald's India- North & East appoints new leadership team
- McDonald's India- North & East announced the appointment of Rajeev Ranjan as Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Rajeev Goel as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the company. Both will step into their respective roles with immediate effect, following the retirement of Robert Hunghanfoo, head of Connaught Plaza Restaurants Pvt Ltd (CRPL).
- They would report to CRPL Chairman and Developmental Licensee Sanjeev Agrawal.
- McDonald's restaurants in North and East of India are operated by CPRL, which has the licence for the region.
Founded: 15 April 1955
CEO: Chris Kempczinski
Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Founders: Richard McDonald, Maurice McDonald
7.Sudhir Sitapati to join Godrej Consumer as MD and CEO
- Godrej Consumer Products (GCPL) said that Sudhir Sitapati will join the company as managing director and chief executive officer effective October 18.
- He was appointed to the HUL management committee as an executive director in 2016, making him one of it’s youngest-ever members.
- His appointment would be effective from October 18, 2021, following which Nisaba Godrej, who is currently the chairperson and managing director, will serve as executive chairperson, GCPL in a regulatory filing.
About Godrej Consumer Products (GCPL):
CEO: Sudhir Sitapati
8.Indian-American chemist Sumita Mitra finalist for inventor award
- Indian-American chemist Sumita Mitra has been nominated as a finalist in the “Non-EPO countries” category of the European Inventor Award 2021 for applying nanotechnology to the production of dental materials, leading to the creation of a new composite to repair teeth which have many advantages over conventional materials.
- Mitra’s material overcomes many of the limitations of previous dental composites, which were either too weak to be used on biting surfaces, or quickly lost their polish and became physically unattractive, according to a release.
- In addition, her invention is more versatile than other composites, and can be used in any area of the mouth, and simplifies the filling procedure for dentists.
President: Joe Biden
Capital: Washington, D.C.
Currency: United States Dollar
9.Kusal Perera named as Sri Lanka’s ODI captain
- Kusal Perera has been named as Sri Lanka’s ODI captain ahead of their 3-match series against Bangladesh, starting from 23 May
- Apart from him, Kusal Mendis has been named as the 18-man squad’s vice-captain.
- Sri Lanka have named a young squad for the series with only three players in the team that are aged more than 30 including Isuru Udana (33 years).
- Selection has been made by Sri Lanka's new selection committee headed by Pramodya Wickramasinghe and coach Mickey Arthur.
About Sri Lanka:
Capital: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
10.Former Director of CBI, Rahothaman passed away at Chennai
- In Tamil Nadu, former Director of Central Bureau of Investigation Rahothaman passed away at Chennai. The 76- year old was undergoing treatment for COVID at a private hospital.
- The retired official had played an important role on the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case. A post graduate in economics from Annamalai University, Ragothaman joined the CBI as a Sub-Inspector in 1968. He has handled several significant cases of high profile politicians during his tenure. His books on Rajiv Gandhi murder, Assassination of Mahatma- Indira- Rajiv Gandhi and Third Degree Crime Investigation Management as well as Crime and the Criminal were popular. He had also won the President's medal for Meritorious Service.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Founder: Government of India
Founded: 1 April 1963