- The Government of India back in 2001 declared 10th July to be celebrated every year as ‘National Fish Farmers Day’.
- The initiative of celebrating the Day was first taken by Mumbai’s Central Institute of Fisheries Education. As per the data by the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization’s GLOBEFISH, in December 2019 India is the 2nd Largest Aquaculture Producer in the world. Also, India is the third-largest fish producing country in the world.
- In Odisha, on 10th July 1957- the first success in induced breeding of fish (by Hypophysation method) was achieved by the two scientists Prof (Dr.) Hiralal Chaudhuri and Dr. K.H. Alikunhi. They further demonstrated the process in the three Indian major carps (Catla, Rohu and Mrigal species of fish). Hence the induced breeding technology in fishes was a momentous breakthrough in the entire Fish Culture Sector of India. In remembrance of the contribution of Dr. H.L Chaudhury and Dr. K.H Alikunhi, 10th July is marked as National Fish Farmers Day in India.
- Indian Manufacturing Company- Loyal Textile Mills on 9th July 2020 launched the first of its kind in the world- reusable PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) Kits. Along with reusable PPE kits, reusable garments and face masks with zero virus penetration were also unveiled by Loyal Textile Mills.
- The reusable masks, garments, and PPE Kits was launched by Loyal Textile Mills with collaborating with Reliance Industries Limited and Switzerland based textile innovation company- HeiQ Materials AG.
- The 3 products will be available in the market under the brand ‘Supera Shield’ of Loyal Textile Mills.
- The Fifteenth summit between India and the European Union (EU) will be held via video conference on 15 July 2020. The summit is aimed to deliver concrete benefits for the people in the EU and India.
- The summit will provide a platform to strengthen the EU-India strategic partnership based on shared principles and values of democracy, freedom, and rule of law.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to hold extensive talks with the President of the European Council Charles Michel and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen on a range of issues in the summit.
About EU(European Union):
Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
Founded: 1 November 1993, Maastricht, Netherlands
- The United Arab Emirates has decided to send a probe to Mars, in a first for the Arab world. The UAE’s Mars probe aims to provide a comprehensive image of the weather dynamics in Mars' atmosphere and pave the way for scientific breakthroughs.
- The Mars probe will serve as a foundation for a much bigger goal of building a human settlement on Mars within the next 100 years.
- Speaking on the probe, the mission’s deputy project manager and UAE Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, Sarah al-Amiri said that the Mars probe will be a message of hope for the region to set an example of what is possible if we take the talent of the youth and use them positively.
Capital: Abu Dhabi
President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Prime Minister: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
- Nadaun Police Station of Hamirpur district in Himachal Pradesh has been ranked as one of the best Police Stations of the country.
- Certificate of Excellence was provided to this Police Station by Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
- The ranking of police stations is carried out by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India and the same was released by the Union Home Minister in a ceremony during DGPs Conference.
About Himachal Pradesh:
Capitals: Shimla, Dharamsala
Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- According to data from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Tamil Nadu has raised ₹30,500 crores in the fiscal 2020-21 and has topped market borrowings among States in the country.
- Tamil Nadu, which has accounted for 17% of the borrowings done through the issue of bonds (known as state development loans), has been followed by Maharashtra ₹25,500 crores (14%), Andhra Pradesh ₹17,000 crores (9%) and Rajasthan ₹17,000 crores (9%).
- Tamil Nadu raised ₹1,250 crores at the low-interest rate of 6.63% for the 35-year bonds and ₹1,250 crores at the rate of 4.54% for the three-year bonds in the auction conducted by RBI.
- On July 7, Tamil Nadu borrowed an additional amount of ₹500 crores rather than the ₹2,000 crores originally planned.
- The State had planned to raise ₹2,000 crores through the issue of bonds of ₹1,000 each with tenures of 35 years and 3 years respectively.
- Tamil Nadu had an option to raise a further ₹250 crore in each of these securities, through what is known as the ‘greenshoe’ option.
About Tamil Nadu:
Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswam1
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IITH) in collaboration with NVIDIA, a multinational technology company, will be establishing India’s first ‘NVIDIA AI Technology Centre’ (NVAITC).
- It will be established to accelerate research on Artificial Intelligence and its commercial adoption.
- NVAITC will accelerate research for the 220 faculty at IIT Hyderabad, which is already among India’s foremost research institutions in just over a decade into its inception.
- The State Government recently announced 2020 as the ‘Year of AI’ with an aim to establish Hyderabad among the top 25 global AI innovation hubs.
- NVIDIA is already a partner to the government of Telangana in this endeavor.
CEO: Jensen Huang
Headquarters: Santa Clara, California, United States
Founded: April 1993
Director: Prof. B. S. Murty
Location: Kandi, Telangana
8. India’s Joshna Chinappa Breaks back Into World’s Top-10 Squash Rankings After Raneem El Welily Retires
- India’s squash star Joshna Chinappa has broken back into the top-10 of the PSA world rankings following the shock retirement of Egyptian world number one Raneem El Welily.
- Joshna, who has not played since March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, moved up a spot to be in 10th position.
- The 33-year-old had entered the top-10 for the first time in 2016.
- Dipika Pallikal is the other Indian female player who has achieved the feat.
- Egypt’s Nouran Gohar is the new world number one following Raneem’s retirement.
- Raneem had held the top spot for 19 months before announcing a sudden retirement.
- India’s top male player Saurav Ghosal remains 13th in the latest rankings.
- Former health minister of Goa, Dr Suresh Amonkar, died due to Covid-19 infection.
- Dr Amonkar, 68, was found positive on June 22 and admitted to the state’s dedicated Covid-19 hospital but his condition deteriorated in the following days.
- Dr Amonkar was a two-term MLA, being elected to the Goa Assembly in 1999 and 2002, as well as served as minister in the first Manohar Parrikar cabinet in 2000 as a minister of health.
- He was also the ex-president of the Goa unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Governor: Satya Pal Malik
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced that its new headquarters in Lausanne has been awarded the European 2020 US Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership Award.
- Olympic House, which also holds the rigorous LEED Platinum certification, is one of the most sustainable buildings in the world.
- The award recognises "those advancing the development of sustainable, healthy and resilient buildings, cities and communities in regions around the world".
- The building is powered by renewable energy, part of which is produced on-site.
- Ninety-five per cent of Olympic House construction waste was recycled, and more than 95 per cent of the former IOC building was recycled or reused.
Founded: 23 Jun 1894
Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
President: Thomas Bach