On 9th July 2020, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has e-Inaugurated 6 strategic bridges in sensitive border areas of Jammu & Kashmir. All the six bridges with strategic importance along the International Border and Line of Control were constructed in record time by working in extremely difficult weather conditions and terrains by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
The Former and First Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru is credited as the founder of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO). It is headquartered in New Delhi and was founded on 7th May 1960.
At present, BRO operates under 18 projects in the country. It maintains across 32,885 Kilometers of road and more than 12,200 meters of permanent bridges across the country. In the last two years, BRO has constructed around 5,800 metres of permanent bridges across the country.
About Jammu & Kashmir:
Capital: Srinagar (May-October), Jammu (Novemember)
Persecution of Minorities in Pakistan continues as this time the Islamic activists have blocked the construction of Shree Krishna Mandir- the first Hindu Temple in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad. Located at the H-9/2 area of Islamabad, the foundation stone for the 1860 sq meter (20,000 sqft) Shree Krishna Mandir was laid on 23rd June 2020.
Since the formation of Pakistan back in 1947, no Hindu Temple had been constructed in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad.
President: Arif Alvi
Prime Minister: Imran Khan
3. Sri Lanka and Maldives becomes the First Two Countries from South-East Asia Region of WHO to Eliminate Both Rubella and Measles
Geneva-based World Health Organization (WHO) has announced on 8th July 2020 that Sri Lanka and the Maldives have eliminated Rubella Virus. With this, Sri Lanka and the Maldives became the first two countries from the South East Asia Region of WHO to have successfully eliminated both the Measles and Rubella Virus.
In 2017-18, Bhutan, Timor-Leste, North Korea and the Maldives were the four countries from the South-East Asia Region of the WHO to successfully eliminate Measles Virus. In July 2019, Sri Lanka became the third nation from the South-East Asia Region of WHO to eliminate Measles.
The target year set by the WHO for eliminating Measles from the South-East Asia Region is 2023 (earlier was 2020, Revised in September 2019 to 2023).
Founded: 07 Apr 1948
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
Director-General: Tedros Adhanom
Luxury Ride has signed singer Sukhbir Singh as its brand ambassador. He will soon be seen in a full-fledged marketing campaign besides being leveraged across its upcoming brand and product communication initiatives.
Sukhbir Singh was born on November 9, 1969 in Jalandhar, Punjab. He is nicknamed as Prince of Bhangra.His 1st album is New Stylee, which won the 1996 Channel V Awards in three categories namely, Best Debut Album, Best Male Vocalist and Best Music Video (for “Punjabi Munde”)
Other albums include, Gal Ban Gayi and High Energy. He has sung the song ‘Dillaga’ from Dhoom 2 with Canadian band Josh.
He made a guest appearance in Pata Nahi Rabb Kehdeyan Rangan Ch Raazi(2012), Punjabi Film as himself.
About Luxury Rides:
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Co-founder and MD: Sumit Garg
- The book, titled ‘Mahaveer: The Soldier who never died’ is authored by award winning author A.K. Srikumar and his wife, Rupa Srikumar. The book is a patriotic story about the courage and selfless love of Jaswant Singh Rawat who is one of the legendary Garhwali soldiers fought in Indo-Chinese battle of Nuranang in 1962 .The book is published by Rupa Publications and represented by The Book Bakers.
- The book portrays also a love story about two Monpa girls(Sela and Noora), and their devotion to the Indian soldier, whose devotion in turn is for the motherland.
- The Operation ‘SamudraSetu’ launched by the Indian Navy on May 5, 2020, has been completed. The operation was started as part of the national effort to bring back Indian citizens from overseas by sea amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- With the completion of the operation, 3,992 Indians have been brought back to their home nation. Indian Naval ships Shardul and Magar (Landing ship Tanks), Jalashwa (Landing Platform Dock), and Airavat participated in the operation.
- The operation by the Indian Navy lasted over 55 days which involved traversing more than 23,000 km. Indian Navy also had undertaken similar evacuation operations as part of Operation Rahat in 2015 (Yemen) and Operation Sukoon in 2006 (Beirut).
Chief of the Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh
- The National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) has further extended the office term of Justice (Retd.) Shri Bansi Lal Bhat, Member (Judicial) as officiating Chairperson for a period of three months.
- The National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) is a tribunal which was formed by the Central Government of India under Section 410 of the Companies Act, 2013.
- The tribunal is responsible for hearing appeals from the orders of National Company Law Tribunal(s) (NCLT), starting on 1 June 2016.
- Veteran Bollywood actor Jagdeep, known for his work in films such as Sholay, Andaz Apna Apna and Purana Mandir, has died.
- In his first film, BR Chopra’s Afsana, he was a face in the crowd who later got a speaking part because he could say the dialogues in chaste Urdu.
- In 1988, Jagdeep also directed the film Soorma Bhopali based on his character from Sholay. In a career spanning over six decades, he acted in over 400 films.
- Indian Army has asked its personnel to delete 89 mobile applications including Facebook, Instagram, PUBG, Zoom, POPXO, TikTok, Snapchat, ShareIt and dating apps like Tinder and Bumble. The decision has been taken to curtail leakage of information, as per Indian Army sources.
- Some of the 89 banned apps are among those banned by the centre for being engaged in activities prejudicial to the integrity and sovereignty of India and defence security of the state and public order.
- The list of apps banned in Indian Army has been divided into different categories including messaging platforms, video hosting apps, content sharing apps, web browsers, video streaming apps, utility apps, gaming apps, e-commerce apps, dating apps, music apps, microblogging apps, news apps, lifestyle apps and antivirus apps.
Chief of Indian Army: General Manoj Naravane
- A formal Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for data exchange between the two organizations.
- The MoU will facilitate the sharing of data and information between SEBI and CBDT on an automatic and regular basis.
- In addition to regular exchange of data, SEBI and CBDT will also exchange with each other, on request and suo moto basis, any information available in their respective databases, for the purpose of carrying out their functions under various laws.
- The MoU comes into force from the date it was signed and is an ongoing initiative of CBDT and SEBI, who are already collaborating through various existing mechanisms.
- The MoU marks the beginning of a new era of cooperation and synergy between SEBI and CBDT.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Chairperson: Pramod Chandra Mody
Founded: 12 April 1992
Chairperson: Ajay Tyagi