President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated Dhamma Chakra Day 2020 celebrations on 4th July 2020. The day is celebrated to mark Buddha's First Sermon to his first 5 ascetic disciples at the Deer Park, Rsipatana in the present-day Sarnath near Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Dhamma Chakra Day is celebrated by Buddhists across the world as the day of Dharma Chakra Parvattana or “Turning of the Wheel of Dharma”.
It is celebrated by the International Buddhist Confederation (IBC), under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture.
Dhamma Chakra day is the second most sacred day for Buddhists after the Buddha Poornima or Vesak. It is known as Asanha Bucha in Thailand and Esala Poya in Sri Lanka.
Ministry of Culture:
Minister: Prahlad Singh Patel
2. 77.9% Russians voted for Putin to Extend His Rule Until 2036
- The 77.9% Russian electorate have voted in favour of constitutional amendments that will allow 67 years old President Vladimir Putin to stay in power until 2036 i.e. until the age of 83. His current term of 6 years will end in 2024. Means now, he will be re-elected twice under the constitutional amendments. He is already the longest-serving leader in modern Russian history.
- Putin's presidency is providing prize draws offering flats and also there will also make some other constitutional amendments for suitable reforms, such as pensions protection and a de facto ban on same-sex marriage.
Currency: Russian Rouble
Prime Minsiter: Mikhail Mishustin
- Reliance Industries has confirmed that Intel Capital has made an investment of Rs 1,894.50 crore in Jio Platforms.
- This investment translates into a 0.39% equity stake in Jio Platforms, with an equity value of Rs 4.91 lakh crore and an enterprise value of Rs 5.16 lakh crore.
- This now takes the total investment in Jio Platforms to Rs 117,588.45 crore, joining investments made by Facebook, Silver Lake Partners, Vista Equity Partners, General Atlantic, KKR, Mubadala, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, TPG, L Catterton and PIF.
- At this time, Intel Capital has strategic global investments in 5G, cloud computing and artificial intelligence technology areas.
Headquarters: Santa Clara
CEO: Robert Holmes Swan
About Reliance Jio:
Founder: Mukesh Ambani
4. Iran issues arrest warrant for Donald Trump, asks Interpol to help
- Iran has issued an arrest warrant and asked Interpol for help in detaining President Donald Trump.
- Iran believes that he carried out the drone strike that killed a top Iranian general in Baghdad..
- While Trump faces no danger of arrest, the charges underscore the heightened tensions between Iran and the United States since Trump unilaterally withdrew America from Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers.
Headquarters: Lyon ,France.
Founded in: 1923
President: Hassan Rouhani
Currency: Iranian rial
5. AIR started its First-Ever Sanskrit News Programme ‘Sanskrit Saptahiki’ from 4th july
- From 4th July 2020, All India Radio (AIR) FM news channel will be broadcasting its first-ever news programme in Sanksrit language for 20 minutes duration. All India Radio has named the news programme ‘Sanskrit Saptahiki’.
- Sanskrit Saptahiki will be broadcasted every Saturday. Repeat broadcast will be available on Sundays. The news program will have the following components:
- On 4th July 2020, DD News has completed the 5 years of the continuous broadcast of Sanskrit News Magazine ‘Vaartavali’. The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi congratulated DD News for the completion of the successful 5 years.
Motto: Bahujanahitaya Bahujanasukhaya
Founder: Government of India
Founded: 1930, India
Headquarters location: New Delhi
- The Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju announced that the government will launch Target Opium Podium Scheme (TOPS) for the junior athletes. The scheme will groom the junior athletes for 2024 and 2028 Olympics.
- The announcement was made by the Union minister sports during the ‘Fit Hai to Hit Hai India’ webinar which was attended by Indian Shuttler PV Sindhu, Union Human Resources Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and Indian football team skipper Sunil Chhetri.
- The Fit India sessions have been organized in association with the Ministry of Human Resources and Development (MHRD) and Sports Authority of India.
- MGNREGA continues to attract rural labourers pushed into distress due to the Covid-19 crisis triggering calls for increasing the mandatory workdays to 200 and raising the minimum wages under the scheme to Rs 600 per day.
- Presently, under MGNREGA, the Law guarantees 100 days of work, though the actual days of work provided is much less, while the minimum wages for 2020-21 is around Rs 200 per day.
- Data sourced from the MGNREGA website till July 1 shows that in June around 43.7 million households sought work under the scheme that was the highest in the last seven years.
- This was 21 per cent more than the number of households who demanded work under the scheme in May 2020.
About MGNREGA Scheme:
"Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act", MGNREGA), is an Indian labour law and social security measure that aims to guarantee the 'right to work'. This act was passed in September 2005 under the UPA government of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
8. Zydus Cadila's potential COVID-19 vaccine gets DCGI nod for human clinical trials
- A potential COVID-19 vaccine indigenously developed by the Ahmedabad-based Zydus Cadila Healthcare Ltd has got Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) nod for human clinical trials.
- The approval process was fast-tracked following recommendation by the subject expert committee on COVID-19, considering the emergency and unmet medical need during the pandemic.
- The assent for human trials was given after the company submitted data of clinical trial on animals to the DCGI, in which the vaccine candidate was found to be successful with respect to safety and immunogenicity.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Head: VG Somani
9. Sahiya didis in Jharkhand played important role in door-to-door Intensive Public Health Survey
- In Jharkhand, the Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA) generally known as Sahiya didis have played an important role in the recently conducted door-to-door Intensive Public Health Survey from June 18 to 25 to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Jharkhand has become the first state to complete such a survey within a stipulated time.
- The Sahiya didis identified 55 thousand 215 people aged above 40 years with the highest risk of Corona infection, or are suffering from severe respiratory diseases.
- The ASHAs in Jharkhand, known as “Sahiyas”, have been supporting delivery of health care services to the last mile, especially in the tribal areas.
Governor: Draupadi Murmu
Chief Minister: Hemant Soren
- Freya Thakral, a 13 year old student of the British School New Delhi received the 2020 Diana Award for her Recycler App, which she developed to connect users with waste-handlers as a measure to help the ragpickers of Delhi .The award is presented annually on the birth anniversary of Princess Diana.
- The Diana award was established in 1999 in memory of Princess Diana, to recognise the social works and humanitarian efforts of youngsters across the United Kingdom(UK) and around the world.
- Freya after speaking with 500000 ragpickers, she developed a mobile application and started a door to door recycling business to support the financial difficulties faced by the ragpickers.
About United Kingdom:
Prime Minister: Boris Johnson
Currency: Pound sterling