Current Affairs 01 February 2023Current Affairs 01 February 2023
1. Indian Coast Guard celebrates 47th raising day in Kolkata
- On the occasion of its 47th raising day celebration, Indian Coast Guard announced its decision to install a new radar in the Sunderbans area for better patrolling and surveillance of the area while taking guard against any terror activities from across the border.
- A senior ICG official said that the decision to install the new radar was taken to protect the waterway and thwart any possible infiltration of terrorists from Bangladesh.
About West Bengal:
Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
Governor: Dr. C.V. Ananda Bose
2. Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan announces 'Ladli Bahna' scheme
- The Madhya Pradesh government will give Rs 1,000 every month to women from all sections of society who don't pay income tax, chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced.
- It's been named 'Ladli Bahna' scheme, following from the 'Ladli Laxmi' that is a flagship scheme of the MP government for girls from poor families. Ladli Bahna covers a wider spectrum of beneficiaries.
About Madhya Pradesh:
Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Governor: Mangubhai C. Patel
3. ‘Jeevan Vidya Shivir’ organised for Delhi govt school teachers
- Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia addressed teachers on the first day of the 5-day ‘Jeevan Vidya Shivir’ organised by the State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT) Delhi for 4,000 teachers from government schools.
- “Jeevan Vidya Shivir will help them build their capacity to help children become good human beings,” he said.
Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
4. Uttar Pradesh government launches campaign to empower underprivileged girls
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched a campaign to empower girls from the underprivileged class. According to a statement, the Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan will work under the Aarohini Initiative Training Programme for the safety and security of girls in 746 Kasturba Gandhi Residential Girls Schools in the state.
- Director General of School Education Vijay Kiran Anand said the main objective of the Aarohini programme, which will be implemented in three phases, is gender sensitisation.
About Uttar Pradesh:
Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
5. South Africa to host 15th BRICS summit at Durban in August 2023
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov & Foreign Minister of the State of Eritrea Osman Saleh announced that the 15th BRICS ( Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) summit is set to take place in South Africa’s Durban in late August, 2023.
- The foreign ministers of Brazil, Russia, India, and China met for the first time on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2006, kicking off BRIC cooperation.South Africa participated in the 3rd BRICS summit in China for the first time in April 2011.
About BRICS :
Established : 2006
Headquarters : Shanghai, China
About South Africa :
President : Cyril Ramaphosa
Capital : Pretoria, Cape Town, Bloemfontein
Currency : South African rand
6. Central Bank of Nigeria launches domestic card scheme AfriGo to boost the cashless economy
- The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor Godwin Emefiele launched a domestic card scheme AfriGo to boost the cashless economy & rival foreign cards like Mastercard and Visa.To enhance its drive to make Africa’s biggest economy a cashless society and save the country foreign transaction fees.
- Nigeria was joining China, Russia, India and Turkey with a domestic card scheme.AfriGo is owned by CBN and Nigerian banks.AfriGo is meant to provide more options for domestic consumers in a “cost-effective and competitive manner”.
About Nigeria :
Capital : Abuja
Currency : Naira
President : Muhammadu Buhari
7. Reliance Consumer Products Limited announces strategic partnership with Sri Lanka’s Maliban Biscuit Manufactories
- Reliance Consumer Products Limited, the FMCG arm of Reliance Retail Ventures Limited, has announced a strategic partnership with the Sri Lanka’s Maliban Biscuit Manufactories.
- Maliban, a heritage brand and a household name in Sri Lanka, is a pioneering biscuit manufacturer well-known for the last 70 years for its range of quality products. The company has expanded its products to reach global markets and now exports to over 35 countries across 5 continents.
8. Morgan Stanley appoints Mr Arun Kohli as the new country head for India
- Morgan Stanley has named Mr Arun Kohli as its new country head for India.Mr Kohli will be replacing Mr Sanjay Shah, a veteran of 26 years at the firm, who is retiring.Mr Kohli, based in London, has been associated with Morgan Stanley for the past 15 years.
- He headed the bank’s post-Brexit strategy.Presently, he is serving as Morgan Stanley’s managing director (MD) and chief operating officer (COO) for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) regions.
9. India’s first mission to study the sun Aditya-L1 is to be launched by June-July 2023
- For the first time in the history of India, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch a scientific mission to study the sun – Aditya-L1 mission in June or July, 2023.Aditya L1 is India’s first space-based mission to observe the Sun and the solar corona.
- It’s aim is to study the sun from a halo orbit around the Sun-Earth system’s Lagrangian point 1 (L 1).Scientists at the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bengaluru have spent over 15 years building and assembling nearly 40 different optical elements.
Founded: 15 August 1969
Chairman: S Somanath
10. Former Law Minister Shanti Bhushan passes away at 97
- Senior advocate and former Law Minister Shanti Bhushan passed away following a brief illness. He was 97. A source close to his family said he was not keeping well for some time and died at his home in Delhi.
- Bhushan served as India's law minister from 1977 to 1979 in the Morarji Desai cabinet. He was best known for successfully arguing for setting aside the election of Indira Gandhi in 1975.
2 likes | 0 comment