Current Affairs September 8, 2018
1. International Literacy Day 2018 observed on 8 September
- Each year September 8th marks UNESCO’s International Literacy day, raising awareness globally on the issues surrounding adult and child literacy.
- International Literacy day highlights the changes and improvements being made worldwide in literacy development.
- UNESCO has been central to improving global literacy since 1946 and promotes International Literacy day in partnership with governments, charities, local communities and experts in the field worldwide.
- This year’s theme is Literacy and skills development.
2. Minister of State for HRD, Dr. Satya Pal Singh successfully attended G20 Education Ministers’ and Joint Ministerial Meeting at Mendoza, Argentina
- The Minister of State for Human Resource Development, Dr. Satya Pal Singh lead a high level delegation to the G-20 Education Ministers’ Meeting as well as Joint Ministerial Meeting held at Mendoza, Argentina on 5th & 6th September, 2018. It was the first ever meeting of Education Ministers in the history of G-20.
- The two meetings included Ministers of Education and Ministers for Labour and Employment from member countries as well as representatives of International Organizations like the World Bank, UNESCO.
- During G20 Summit of Education Ministers, Dr Satya Pal Singh successfully held bilateral talks with education minister of 9 countries.
3. Anshula Kant Appointed Managing Director Of SBI
- Anshula Kant was appointed as the Managing Director of State Bank of India (SBI)
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Kant as the Managing Director (MD), SBI till the date of her superannuation i.e. September 30, 2020.
- The post of MD, SBI fell vacant after the resignation of B Sriram, who took over as the MD and CEO of IDBI Bank.
- SBI chairman- Rajnish Kumar, Headquarters- Mumbai
4. India, Czech Republic sign five agreements
- President Ram Nath Kovind, who is Czech Republic on the last leg of 3-nation Europe tour, met Prime Minister Andrej Babis of Czech Republic.
- The two leaders discussed closer defence and business relations and the scope for Czech manufacturing companies to partner with India.
- These agreements are Cooperation between Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, India, and the Czech Academy of Sciences.
5. Former RBI governor Bimal Jalan to head panel to select new Chief Economic Advisor
- The Union Government has appointed former Reserve Bank of India governor Bimal Jalan as the head of the panel that has been tasked with selecting India’s next chief economic advisor (CEA).
- The move comes two months after the government sought applications for the post after previous CEA Arvind Subramanian resigned from office.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi will give the final stamp of approval for the appointment of the next CEA.
6. Indian Overseas Bank gets RBI nod for call option on bonds worth Rs 655 cr
- Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) has received RBI nod to exercise call option on bonds worth Rs 655.30 crore
- The call option is scheduled to be exercised on September 17.
- In a call option, the issuer of the bond can redeem the instruments before its maturity.
- Indian Overseas Bank-Headquarters: Chennai, CEO: R. Subramaniakumar
7. The Odisha Assembly passed a resolution for establishing Legislative Council
- The Odisha Assembly passed a resolution for establishing Legislative Council, or Vidhan Parishad
- While legislators of the Indian National Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party chose to walk out, the ruling Biju Janat Dal's 104 MLAs present in the assembly voted in favour of the resolution.
- The resolution was passed with as many as 104 of total 147 legislators casting their votes in its favour. The resolution now will be sent to Central Government (Union cabinet) for approval, following which it will be tabled in both houses of the Parliament.
- Currently, seven states including Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh have a Legislative Council.
8. Hriday Hazarika, Indian Women's 10m Air Rifle Team Win Gold Medals At ISSF World Championships
- India's Hriday Hazarika won gold in men's 10m air rifle at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Championships.
- Hazarika, the only Indian to qualify for the men's final with a total score of 627.3, was tied on 250.1 with Iran's Mohammed Amir Nekounam in the final
- Mohammed Amir clinched the silver medal, Russia's Grigorii Shamakov took home the bronze medal.
- The women's 10m air rifle team of Elavenil Valarivan (631), Shreya Agarwal (628.5) and Manini Kaushik (621.2) produced a brilliant performance to score a total of 1880.7.
- The 52nd ISSF World Shooting Championships are held in Changwon, South Korea from 2 to 14 September 2018.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!