Current Affairs September 13, 2018
1. Successful test flight lands at Sindhudurg Airport
- A familiarization flight from Mumbai to Sindhudurg landed at Parule Chipi Greenfield airport in Sindhudurg district of the Konkan region of Maharashtra.
- With this successful test flight access to the Konkan coast of Maharashtra will become easier and some of Maharashtra’s top tourist attractions will become accessible to visitors from all over India.
- The airport is located between Malvan and Vengurla, the Tarkarli beach and Sindhudurg fort are 20 kms away.
2. Cabinet approves New Umbrella Scheme Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan
- The Union Cabinetapproved new Umbrella Scheme 'Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan, PM-AASHA
- The Scheme is aimed at ensuring remunerative prices to farmers for their produce as announced in the Union Budget for 2018.
- This step aims at protecting the farmers’ income which is expected to go a long way towards the welfare of farmers.
- It is expected that the increase in MSP will be translated to farmer’s income by way of robust procurement mechanism in coordination with the State Governments.
3. India’s first missile tracking ship is readying for sea trials
- Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) is gearing up to undertake sea trials of India’s first missile tracking ship by the first week of October.
- The keel of the ship, which was laid on June 30, 2014, is being built for the National Technical Research Organisation, the technical intelligence agency working directly under the supervision of the Prime Minister’s Office and the National Security Adviser.
- This will be the first of its kind ocean surveillance ship being built as part of the efforts under the NDA government to strengthen the country’s strategic weapons programme.
- The ship was built inside the covered dry dock. It has the capacity to carry 300-strong crew with hi-tech gadgets and communication equipment, powered by two diesel engines, and a large deck capable of helicopter landing.
4. BSNL, Unlimit ink partnership for IoT/M2M services in India
- Unlimit, end-to-end IoT service provider in India announced its partnership with State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to offer comprehensive Internet of Things (IoT) solutions and services to the enterprise customers across India.
- The partnership between Unlimit and BSNL will leverage seamless wireless network footprint pan India to provide its solutions and services across industries.
- BSNL's connectivity especially in Rural India will help Unlimit further penetrate the India enterprise market, focusing on industries such as automobile, digital manufacturing, transportation, logistics, public-sector enterprises and agriculture.
- This Partnership focus on Industries such as automobile, digital manufacturing, transportation, logistics, public-sector enterprises and agriculture.
5. Padma Bhushan economist VS Vyas passes away
- Padma Bhushan awardee and noted agricultural economist Vijay Shankar Vyas passed away after a brief illness
- The economist was the director of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad, and the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), Jaipur.
- He was also a senior advisor in the World Bank’s agriculture and rural development department. Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje and former chief minister Ashok Gehlot condoled Vyas’s demise.
6. HDFC LIFE appoints Vibha Padalkar as MD & CEO for 3 years
- The board of HDFC Standard Life appointed Vibha Padalkar, the executive director and Chief financial officer of HDFC Standard Life, as the Managing director and CEO.
- After the exit of Amitabh Chaudhary, who joined Axis Bank on September 8, Padalkar, a board member of HDFC Life, was the front runner for the top job.
- Before joining HDFC Life, she was associated with WNS Global Services, Colgate-Palmoliv (India ) and Price water house coopers.
- Padalkar is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
7. Tamil Naidu bans e-cigarettes, prohibits online sale too
- The Tamil Nadu government has issued a government order banning its manufacture, sale and possession with immediate effect in the state.
- The government prohibits the manufacture, sale (including online sale), of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS), knows as E-Cigarettes or by any other name or component with immediate effect in Tamil Nadu
- Listing the ill-effects of using e-cigarettes, the government order said it is a myth that it is less harmful than beedis and cigarettes.
8. L K Advani renominated as chairman of Lok Sabha ethics panel
- P Karunakaran has also been renominated as chairman of the Committee on Absence of Members from the Sittings of the House.
- The Committee examines complaints relating to unethical conduct by members of Parliament.
- Veteran BJP leader L K Advani has been renominated as the chairman of the Lok Sabha Ethics Committee by Speaker Sumitra Mahajan.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!