Current Affairs September 11, 2018
1. B. Vanlalvawna appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Azerbaijan
- B. Vanlalvawna (IFS:1998), presently Consul General, Consulate General of India, Sydney has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Republic of Azerbaijan-Capital: Baku,Currency: Azerbaijani manat
2. Pune to host first joint military exercise with BIMSTEC countries
- The first joint military exercise of the seven member countries of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), with a focus on counter-terrorism in semi-urban areas, is set to commence in Pune on September 10.
- The week-long field training exercise, named MILEX-18, is to be held between September 10 and 16 at the city’s Aundh Military Station.
- The exercise will include training in search-and-cordon operations and handling and neutralisation of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) among other things.
3. Annual general body meeting of the Indian Polo association
- The Annual General Body Meeting of the Indian Polo Association (IPA) was held under the Chairmanship of General Bipin Rawat, Chief of the Army Staff who is also the President of the Indian Polo Association at Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantonment on 09 Sep 2018.
- It was decided that the Jaipur Polo ground in Delhi would be renovated to bring it at par with International standards.
- Issue of player and horse safety was also discussed at length with serious concerns for evolving modus operandi for the safety of equines and players.
4. IRDAI working on ‘Sandbox’ method
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) is working on the guidelines for ‘Sandbox’ method which will allow insurers to test products in a particular geography or among a set of few policyholders before they are available in the market.
- This was launched at the 11th Global Insurance Summit, organised by Assocham in Mumbai.
- The regulator has also asked insurance firms to come out with long-term health insurance policies, which are currently only available in two wheeler and four wheeler insurance.
5. Om Prakash Mishra set to become Nepal's new Chief Justice
- Om Prakash Mishra, who studied law in India, is set to become Nepal's new Chief Justice after the Parliamentary Hearing Committee unanimously endorsed his name for the top judicial post.
- Mishra, the senior-most justice after Justice Deepak Raj Joshee, will assume charge as the Chief Justice after President Bidya Devi Bhandari officially appoints him.
- Khadga Prasad Shrma Oli is the current Prime Minister of Nepal.
6. Indo-Mongolia joint exercise kicks off in Ulaanbaatar
- Indo-Mongolia joint exercise Nomadic Elephant-2018, commenced today at Mongolian Armed Forces (MAF) Five Hills Training Area, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia with a brief but impressive opening ceremony.
- The 12 days long joint exercise will be conducted from 10 Sep to 21 Sep 2018.
- Exercise Nomadic Elephant is an annual, bilateral exercise since 2006 which is designed to strengthen the partnership between the Indian Army and Mongolian Armed Forces.
7. India, Bangladesh jointly inaugurate three projects
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina, and Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Tripura jointly inaugurated three projects in Bangladesh via video conferencing.
- These include 500 MW additional power supply from India to Bangladesh, Akhaura - Agartala Rail Link and Rehabilitation of the Kulaura-Shahbazpur section of Bangladesh Railways.
- The Prime Minister said that Akhaura-Agartala rail connectivity will provide another link in the cross-border connectivity between the two countries.
8. Delhi CM Kejriwal launches doorstep delivery of services
- The Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) rolled out doorstep delivery of public services for Delhiites
- In the first phase of the Delhi government’s scheme, 40 services will be provided for a nominal charge of Rs 50.
- VFS Global, one of the biggest visa and passport service providers in the world, has been given the contract to run the project for three years.