Current Affairs October 9, 2018
1. 2018 Nobel in Economics Is Awarded to William Nordhaus and Paul Romer
- Two American economists at the forefront of work on climate change and the role of governments in boosting growth have been jointly awarded the prestigious Nobel Memorial prize for economics.
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said William Nordhaus and Paul Romer were being honoured for their research into two of the most “basic and pressing” economic issues of the age.
- The co-winner – Romer – is seen as the prime mover behind the endogenous growth theory.
- Romer was the chief economist at the World Bank but left after 15 months following repeated run-ins with staff.
2. Jeremy Lalrinnunga wins India’s maiden gold medal at Youth Olympic Games
- India won their first gold medal at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina with Jeremy Lalrinnunga lifting 150kg on his last attempt for a combined 274kg.
- This is India’s first-ever gold medal at the Youth Olympics.In the two editions prior to this, India’s best performance was two medals in the 2014 Youth Olympics at Nanjing, China.
- With his best successful attempts of 124kg in snatch and 150kg in clean & jerk for a combined 274kg, the 15-year-old won the gold medal.
- Toptas Caner of Turkey won the silver medal for a combined lift of 263kg and Estiven Jose Manjarres of Colombia won the bronze medal with 260kg.
3. National Housing Bank decides to increase the Refinance Limit from Rs. 24,000 crore to Rs.30,000 crore for the Current year
- Keeping in view the current scenario, National Housing Bank (NHB has decided to increase the Refinance limit to Rs.30,000 crore.
- Now, eligible Housing Finance Companies & Other entities will have increased availability of funds.
- National Housing Bank (NHB) is the Principal Agency to promote Housing Finance Institutions, currently 97 in number, and to provide financial support to eligible institutions.
4. India, Japan begin bilateral maritime exercise JIMEX-18 in Visakhapatnam
- Bilateral maritime exercise JIMEX-18 between India and Japan commenced in Visakhapatnam which was marked by Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) ships Kaga, an Izumo-class helicopter destroyer, and Inazuma, a guided missile destroyer.
- The third edition of JIMEX will witness the participation of the Japanese ships, under the command of Rear Admiral Tatsuya Fukada, commander of Escort Flotilla-4 (CCF-4).
- The participating ships include INS Satpura, a multi-purpose stealth frigate, INS Kadmatt, an anti-submarine warfare corvette, missile corvette and INS Shakti, the fleet tanker.
5. Thangjam Tababi Devi clinches judo medal at Olympics, fetches youth silver
- Thangjam Tababi Devi became India's first judo medallist at the Olympic level, claiming a silver at the ongoing Youth Games after losing to Venezuela's Maria Giminez in the finals of the women's 44kg category.
- Tababi Devi, an Asian cadet champion hailing from Manipur, lost 0-11, also conceding a penalty point in the process.
- India have never won an Olympic medal in judo either at the senior or the youth level.
6. World Postal Day is observed on 9 October
- Postal services are something that people all over the world often take for granted, but the day to celebrate them and recognize their contributions to modern society and the global economy is almost here.
- The event was first declared at the 1969 United Postal Congress in Tokyo, Japan and is celebrated annually on October 9.
- The theme for World Post Day 2018 will reportedly be: ‘Imagine you are a letter travelling through time. What message do you wish to convey to your readers’
7. India signs key agreements with Tajikistan
- President Ramnath Kovind holds bilateral talks with his counterpart Ammoli Rahmon in Tajikistan; several agreements signed; India pledges 20 million dollars to aid Tajikistan's development.
- The two leaders agreed to strengthen political relations, strategic research, agriculture, renewable energy, traditional medicine, space technology, youth affairs, culture and disaster management relations between India and Tajikistan.
- The President commended Tajikistan's commitment to combating terrorism on the occasion.
8. Nagaland’s Gandhi’ Natwar Thakkar dies aged 86
- Eminent Gandhian Natwar Thakkar, popularly known as ‘Nagaland’s Gandhi’, died after a brief illness.
- Mr. Thakkar, a Padma Shri awardee, had founded the Nagaland Gandhi Ashram at Chuchuyimlang.
- He was from Maharashtra and had made Nagaland his home ever since he had arrived in the State in 1955.
9. Flipkart teams up with Bajaj Allianz to provide insurance for smartphones
- Flipkart tied up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance that will offer insurance on products like mobile phones, which are bought on the platform, starting from 10th October.
- The decade-old company, in which world retail giant Walmart acquired a majority stake in May, secured a corporate agent license from Bajaj Allianz.
- According to the scheme, Customers who buy the plan will be offered either a cash payout, or a free pickup, service and drop facility if their devices get damaged or stolen.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!