Current Affairs October 6, 2018
1. Nobel peace prize 2018 won by Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad
- The Congolese gynaecologist, Denis Mukwege, who has treated thousands of rape victims, and Nadia Murad, the Iraqi Yazidi, who was sold into sex slavery by Isis, have been jointly awarded the 2018 Nobel peace prize.
- They have both put their own personal security at risk by courageously combatting war crimes and securing justice for victims.
- The joint award comes a decade since the UN security council adopted Resolution 1820 (2008), which determined that the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war.
2. Russian President Vladimir Putin meets PM Modi at Hyderabad House in Delhi
- Indian and Russia on Friday signed the USD 5 billion S-400 air defence system deal in New Delhi.
- Modi and Putin also signed eight pacts, including on cooperation on India’s ambitious human space mission project Gaganyaan, at the 19th India-Russia annual bilateral summit.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in India on Thursday for the two-day annual India-Russia bilateral summit.
- India and Russia signed eight pacts in areas ranging from defence, nuclear energy, space and economy.
3. Launch of Methanol Cooking Fuel Program of India
- India, Northeast and Assam Petro-chemicals, a state-owned company launched Asia's first cannisters based and India's first "Methanol Cooking Fuel Program".
- 500 households inside the Assam Petro Complex will be the first pilot project, scaling it to 40,000 households in Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Telangana, Goa and Karnataka.
- The project is a natural extension of our Prime Minister's vision of reducing import of crude and an effort to provide clean, import substitute, cost effective and pollution free cooking medium.
4. Former England Batsman Nick Compton Retires From Cricket
- Former England batsman Nick Compton announced his retirement from cricket.
- The 35-year-old grandson of England great Denis Compton did not play for his county Middlesex in 2018.South Africa-born Compton played 16 Tests for England, scoring two hundred.
- Denis Compton scored 5,907 runs in 78 Tests, including 17 hundreds at an average of 50.06 and in the 1947 season alone complied a staggering 3,816 first-class runs as Middlesex won the County Championship.
5. National Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2018: Haryana Ranked Best State, While Satara Named Best District
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave awards to the top-ranked state, district and state with maximum citizen participation based on the National Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2018 commissioned by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The awards by Prime Minister were given at the concluding session of Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention at Rashtrapati Bhawan Cultural Centre.
- Haryana was ranked as the best state while Satara district of Maharashtra was ranked as the best district as per the ranking was undertaken by Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2018.
- Swachh Sarvekshan Gramin 2018: Satara District of Maharashtra Bags Top Spot of Being Cleanest Among Rural Areas.
6. 21 IORA countries adopt Delhi Declaration on Renewable Energy
- As many as 21 countries in the Indian Ocean Rim Association, IORA, adopted the Delhi Declaration on Renewable Energy in the Indian Ocean Region.
- These nations adopted the Delhi Declaration post the second IORA Renewable Energy Ministerial Meeting held in Greater Noida, near Delhi.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy yesterday said that the Delhi Declaration calls for collaboration among IORA member states in meeting the growing demand for renewable energy in the Indian Ocean littorals.
7. Google on Saturday dedicated its doodle to mark the start of the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games.
- Being held in Buenos Aires, till October 18, the Games will see over 200 countries take part. Kosovo and South Sudan are making their debut at the Youth Olympics this year.
- New sports that have been introduced include kiteboarding, BMX freestyle park, and a new version of handball that’s played on the beach. Football has been replaced by futsal — an indoor game played on a smaller hard court.
- The third edition of the Games will also feature mixed gender events as well as mixed National Olympic Committee events, bringing athletes from different countries together on the same team.
8. R N Ravi Redesignated As Deputy National Security Advisor
- R N Ravi, the Chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, has been redesignated as the Deputy National Security Advisor
- Ravi, a 1976-batch Indian Police Service officer of the Kerala cadre, is also the government's interlocutor for the ongoing talks with Naga insurgent group National Socialist Council of Nagaland.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved redesignating R N Ravi as Deputy National Security Advisor (Internal Affairs) and as interlocutor of the government of India in Nagaland, instead of Chairman, Joint Intelligence Committee.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!