Current Affairs October 5, 2018
1. Chanda Kochhar quits ICICI Bank
- Chanda Kochhar, the first woman to head India’s second-biggest private sector lender by assets, Quits even as a probe continues into alleged irregularities in granting of some loans during her nineyear chief executive tenure.
- The bank’s board accepted her plea for early retirement Thursday, elevating COO Sandeep Bakhshi to the CEO role for five years.
- The enquiry instituted by the board will remain unaffected by this and certain benefits will be subject to the outcome of the enquiry.
2. Shri Piyush Goyal inaugurates International Conference on Technological Advancements in Railway and Metro Projects
- Minister of Railways & Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal inaugurated International Conference on Technological Advancements in Railway and Metro Projects (IC-TRAM 2018) in New Delhi
- The aim is to take stock of the consolidation taking place in Railways & Metros world-wide with special focus on India.
- Experts from various fields of Railway and Metro Operations and Infrastructure from all over the world will be participating in this International Conference being held at New Delhi.
3. India and Kazakhstan agree to boost Defence and Military Technical Cooperation
- Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman was on a three-day visit to Astana, Kazakhstan from October 02, 2018 at the invitation of Minister of Defence of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- They discussed a wide range of issues relating to defence and military technical cooperation and took stock of the progress that this bilateral relationship has made since the renewal of the MoU on defence cooperation.
- Smt Nirmala Sitharaman also discussed issues relating to defence production with the Minister for Defence and Aerospace Industry.
4. Mukesh Ambani is the richest Indian for 11th consecutive year with $47.3 billion: Forbes
- Reliance Industries’ Chairman Mukesh Ambani has emerged as the richest Indian for the 11th consecutive year with a net worth of $47.3 billion, according to Forbes magazine.
- As per the ‘Forbes India Rich List 2018’, Wipro Chairman Azim Premji has retained the second spot, adding $2 billion to his wealth at $21 billion; while ArcelorMittal Chairman and CEO Lakshmi Mittal moved a place ahead to the third slot with a net worth of $18.3 billion, increasing his wealth by $1.8 billion.
- Ambani is also the year’s biggest gainer, adding $9.3 billion to his wealth amid the continuing success of his Reliance Jio broadband telco service.
- This list was compiled using shareholding and financial information obtained from the families and individuals, stock exchanges, analysts and India’s regulatory agencies.
5. Ramon Laguarta succeeds Pepsico's Indian-origin CEO Indra Nooyi
- Ramon Laguarta assumed the role of Chief Executive Officer of global beverage giant PepsiCo Wednesday, succeeding India-born Indra Nooyi who had helmed the American company for 12 years.
- She was appointed as CEO in 2006, becoming PepsiCo's fifth chief executive in its 41-year history, and the first woman
- Laguarta will become the sixth CEO in PepsiCo's 53-year history. All have been appointed from within the organization, a testament to PepsiCo's strong bench of talent and succession planning.
6. India moves up to 28th rank in govt e-payment adoption
- India's overall ranking on the government's adoption of e-payments has moved up to 28th in 2018, from 36th in 2011.
- The country is taking "rapid strides" in advancing government e-payments capabilities and is one of the top-performing countries in terms of citizen-to-government (C2G), business-to-government (B2G) and government-to-business (G2B) transactions.
- The country holds the top ranking on B2G and G2B, and comes third on C2G jointly with Argentina.
7. Indian International Science Festival begins in Lucknow
- A four-day Indian International Science Festival (IISF) 2018 kicked off in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The subject of this year's festival is science for transformation. Union science and technology minister Dr Harsh Vardhan open the event.
- Around ten thousand scientists and experts, including science teachers and students, are participating in the event.
8. 36th National Games in March-April next year in Goa
- The much-delayed 36th National Games in Goa will be held from March 30 to April 14 next year. The Games were earlier scheduled to be held next month.
- Prabhudesai said at a media conference that Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at PJN Stadium, Fatorda.
- The Opening ceremony will be on March 30 and closing ceremony will be on April 14.
- Five sports -- Rugby, Wushu, Modern Penthatlon, Lawn Bowl, and Billiards and Snooker -- will be added in the Games programme.
9. World Teachers' Day 2018 on 5 October
- World Teachers' Day, also known as International Teachers' Day, is observed on October 5 every year.
- World Teachers' Day focuses on "appreciating, assessing and improving the educators of the world" and to provide an opportunity to address issues related to teachers and teaching.
- This year's World Teachers' Day theme is : "The right to education means the right to a qualified teacher.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!