Current Affairs October 30, 2018
1. India's First Engineless Train To Make Debut On Tracks
- India's first engineless, self-propelled train, the Train-18 trainset, makes its debut on the tracks.
- Engineless trains till now ran in big cities as part of the Metro network, but Train-18 will be the first semi-high speed train to offer a comfortable inter-city ride.
- The swanky 16-coach prototype will travel at 160 kmph and is expected to cut travel time by 15 per cent compared to the Shatabdi Express trains, which it will eventually replace.
- The "Make in India" train has been manufactured by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai at the cost of Rs. 100 crore.
2. SBI to issue and encash electoral bonds from Oct 1 to 10
- The finance ministry said that State Bank of India, the country’s largest lender, was authorised to issue and encash electoral bonds with effect from October 1 to 10.
- According to the provisions of the Electoral Bond scheme notified in January this year, these bonds could be purchased by a person who is a citizen of India or an entity incorporated or established in India.
- An individual can buy electoral bonds either singly or jointly with other individuals.
- Only the political parties registered under Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 (43 of 1951) and which secured not less than one per cent of the votes polled in the previous Lok Sabha or Assembly election are eligible to receive the electoral bonds.
3. IBM to acquire software company Red Hat for $34 billion
- IBM Corp had agreed to acquire U.S. software company Red Hat Inc for $34 billion, including debt, as it seeks to diversify its technology hardware and consulting business into higher-margin products and services.
- The transaction is by far IBM’s biggest acquisition. Founded in 1993, Red Hat specializes in Linux operating systems, the most popular type of open-source software, which was developed as an alternative to proprietary software made by Microsoft Corp.
- IBM, which has a market capitalization of $114 billion, will pay $190 per share in cash for Red Hat, a 63 percent premium to Friday’s closing share price.
4. Michael D Higgins re-elected as Irish president for second term
- Michael D Higgins has been re-elected as Irish president after receiving 56% of the country's election vote.
- Businessman Peter Casey came second with 23.1%, while none of the other four candidates polled more than 10%.
- Mr Higgins, the first incumbent in 50 years to face a challenge in his bid for a second term, won with 822,566 votes.
5. Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurates Gujarat’s first Mega Food Park in Surat
- Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated the first Mega Food Park in Gujarat.
- The Gujarat Agro Mega Food Park will benefit the people of Surat District and the people of nearby Districts of Navsari, Tapi, Narmada & Bharuch.
- Under the Scheme, Government of India provides financial assistance upto Rs. 50.00 Crore per Mega Food Park project..
6. Asian Champions Trophy Hockey Final India and Pakistan declared joint winners
- India and Pakistan will share the trophy. Both teams have won the tournament twice each in the past.
- The start of the final match was delayed due to heavy rain. As the turf was completely waterlogged the teams couldn’t play.
- Both India and Pakistan were declared joint winners of the Asian Hockey Champions Trophy.
- India had won the Asian Hockey Champions Trophy in 2011 and 2016.
7. 5th National Summit on Public Health Care begins at Kaziranga in Assam
- The 5th National Summit on Good and Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems in India will begin at Kaziranga in Assam
- State Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal and Union Health Minister J P Nadda will inaugurate the three-day summit.
- The objective of the summit is to share and learn the good practices and innovations being implemented by several states and organizations for the betterment of the health sector.
8. CII partners with WhatsApp to train SMEs across India
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will work with WhatsApp to educate and train small-medium business owners (SMEs) and entrepreneurs on how the WhatsApp Business app can help them connect with their customers and grow their businesses.
- CII said WhatsApp and CII will work to enhance business communication for Indian SME's through CII’s SME Technology Facilitation Centre.
- This was set up in November 2016, with the objective of creating awareness amongst SMEs in India on technological solutions that can be optimally adopted to enhance their overall competitiveness.