Current Affairs October 11, 2018
1. Regional conference on ‘Good Governance Initiatives,’ begins in Kohima
- The two day Regional Conference on ‘Good Governance Initiatives,’ got underway at Kohima .
- The Conference, held under the theme “Capacity Building /Best Practices by Aspirational Districts”, is being organized by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) in collaboration with the Nagaland Government.
- In today’s technical session, 11 presentations followed by panel discussions were made in five sessions covering the topics of Technology for Good Governance.
2. Coal India signs MoU with NLC for 5000 mw power generation
- Coal India and NLC India (NLCIL), formerly Neyveli Lignite Corporation, will jointly set up 5000 mw of power generation capacity of which 3000 mw would be solar powered while the rest 2000 mw would be coal fuelled.
- CIL and NCIL signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for setting up a 50:50 joint venture company that would undertake the projects.
- The joint venture company will be scheduled complete the proposed solar projects and thermal projects within 15 months and 60 months respectively.
3. China successfully launches two remote sensing satellites
- China successfully launched two remote sensing satellites to conduct electromagnetic environmental probes.
- The satellites, both belonging to the Yaogan-32 family, were launched by a Long March-2C rocket with an upper stage on its top, at 10:43 am.
- The remote sensing satellites were successfully sent into space from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China.
4. Cabinet approves merger of National Council for Vocational Training, NCVT and National Skill Development Agency
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the merger of the existing regulatory institutions in the skills space - National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and the National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) into the National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET).
- NCVET will regulate the functioning of entities engaged in vocational education and training, both long-term and short-term and establish minimum standards for the functioning of such entities.
- This institutional reform will lead to improvement in quality and market relevance of skill development programs lending credibility to vocational education and training encouraging greater private investment.
5. Tushar Mehta appointed as new Solicitor General of India.
- Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta was appointed the new Solicitor General of India, months ahead of the general elections in 2019.
- He will hold office till June 30, 2020. Mehta, who was Gujarat advocate general when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the chief minister of the state.
- He was appointed ASG in 2014 after the Modi government came to power.
6. India ranks bottom of Oxfam world inequality index
- India has been ranked among the bottom 10 countries in a new worldwide index released on the commitment of different nations to reduce inequalities in their populations.
- UK-based charity Oxfam International’s ‘Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index’ ranks India 147th among 157 countries
- The second edition of the annual index finds that countries such as South Korea, Namibia and Uruguay are taking strong steps to reduce inequality.
7. Saurabh Chaudhary bags gold in Youth Olympics 2018
- Shooting gave India another champion as Saurabh Chaudhary claim the 10m air pistol gold at the Youth Olympics.
- The 16-year-old Chaudhary dominated the final, shooting 244.2 to finish on top of the podium ahead of South Korea’s Sung Yunho.
- Switzerland’s Solari Jason bagged the bronze with 215.6
8. Cabinet approves Productivity Linked Bonus for Railway Employees
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the payment of Productivity Linked Bonus (PLB) equivalent to 78 days’ wages for the financial year 2017-18 for all eligible non-gazetted Railway employees.
- The financial implication of payment of 78 days’ PLB to railway employees has been estimated to be Rs.2044.31 crore.
- The Productivity Linked Bonus on Railway covers all non-gazetted railway employees (excluding RPF/RPSF personnel) who are spread over the entire country.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!