Current Affairs October 07 and 08, 2018
1. Under-19 Asia Cup: India beat Sri Lanka by 144 runs to clinch title
- India’s U-19 team followed the footsteps of their seniors to win the U-19 Asia Cup title with a crushing 144-run win against Sri Lanka in the final.
- India outplayed Sri Lanka in all departments by first scoring an imposing 304 for three at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium in Mirpur after skipper Prabh Simran Singh won the toss and elected to bat.
- For his consistency (318 runs in the tournament), Jaiswal was adjudged man-of-the-tournament.
2. Minister of Textiles, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani Inaugurates exhibition “Revisiting Gandhi: The Art of Shelly Jyoti” at IGNCA, New Delhi.
- Union Minister of Textiles, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani Inaugurated the exhibition “Revisiting Gandhi: The Art of Shelly Jyoti” at IGNCA, New Delhi.
- Smt. SmritiIrani appreciated the efforts of IGNCA for making such anexcellent exhibition possible.
- The exhibition organised as part of Gandhi Parv, 150 years birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi, realises what Gandhi inspired and put into action, self-transformation, with the ultimate goal of the total transformation of society.
3. Allocation of requisite EVMs and VVPATs across all Polling Stations Underway
- The Election Commission of India is making all preparatory arrangements to ensure EVM VVPAT allocation well in time for General Elections across States.
- The mandatory First Level Checks and training to District Officers are also being ensured to meet the requirement of 100% VVPATs across approximately 10.6 lakh polling stations for the upcoming Lok Sabha Election in 2019.
- The EVM VVPAT inventory is securely managed through a robust tracking system to track all operations on machine movement, First Level Checks, randomization, poll day defects.
- Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT), Electronic Voting Machines (EVM).
4. Maharashtra govt launches website, application to analyse drought situation
- The Maharashtra government launched a website and a mobile application which will use modern technology to analyse the drought situation in the state by collecting data on rainfall
- The state relief and rehabilitation ministry created the website called Maha Madat with the help of the Maharashtra Remote Sensing Application Centre (MRSAC).
- Rehabilitation and Relief Minister Chandrakant Patil said the platform will help in accurately analysing drought-like situations in villages across the state.
5. Pankaj Sharma appointed India's ambassador to UN Conference on Disarmament
- Pankaj Sharma has been appointed as the ambassador and India's permanent representative to the United Nations Conference on Disarmament in Geneva,
- Sharma is currently the joint secretary (Disarmament and International Security Division) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Sharma had replaced Gill as joint secretary of the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) division.
6. Karnataka govt unveils ‘Unnati’ scheme to help entrepreneurs from SC/ST communities
- Karnataka Social Welfare Minister Priyank Kharge launches unnati scheme, under the Unnati scheme, will invest up to Rs 20 crore to create end-to-end support infrastructure for startups and entrepreneurs from a marginalised background.
- The government, under the scheme, will identify the problems dogging society and solve them by identifying companies, working on products and solutions for related problems.
- The Social Welfare department will invest up to Rs 20 crore to create end-to-end support infrastructure for startups and entrepreneurs from a marginalised background. This will be done under Unnati scheme.
7. Rajasthan to provide free electricity to farmers to increase their income
- The Rajasthan government has launched a scheme to provide free electricity to farmers having general category connections.
- The Scheme would help increase the income of farmers.
- The project will provide water for drinking and irrigation purposes to 13 districts in eastern Rajasthan.
8. Brett Kavanaugh sworn in as USA Supreme Court justice
- Brett Kavanaughswone as the 114th Supreme Court justice by one of the narrowest margins in history amid mass protests, ending a vitriolic battle over his nomination and solidifying a conservative majority on the court.
- He was officialy sworn by outgoing chief justice john roberts.
- Kavanaugh, 53, is a veteran of the George W. Bush White House who has served on the District of Columbia Circuit Court of Appeals for a dozen years.
9. PM Modi inaugurates Investors Summit in Dehradun
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Uttarakhand Investors Summit in Dehradun.Uttarakhand Investors Summit 2018 explores investment opportunities in the state.
- A large number of leading business firms and industrial houses are likely to participate in the two-day event in the state.
- In the last two years, Centre and state governments have taken more than 10,000 steps which have helped India gain more than 42 points in Ease of Business.
10. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal lays foundation stone of two key railway projects
- In Chhattisgarh, Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal and the state Chief Minister Raman Singh laid the foundation stone of two key railway projects.
- The construction of a new railway line connecting Katghora-Mungeli-Kawardha-Dongargarh would accelerate the growth of the mineral rich region and bring prosperity.
- On the occasion, the union minister also flagged off Korba-Raipur-Korba Hasdeo Express through video conferencing.
11. IndiaSkills 2018, the Country’s biggest skill competition
- IndiaSkills 2018 was the second edition of the nationwide competition organized by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Government of India to identify, recognize, promote and reward the best talents in various skills.
- 23 states actively participated in organizing the competitions at the state and regional levels in which over 50 thousand participants took part.
- IndiaSkills 2018, the Country’s biggest skill competition, concluded, with the winners being awarded by dignitarie.
12. President of India inaugurates 4th India International Science Festival
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 4th India International Science Festival in Lucknow. The President said that science has always been a part of Indian culture.
- The President pointed to the low participation of women in higher science. He noted that of the 3,446 scientists working at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, only 632 – or 18.3 per cent – are women.
- He urges Scientific Community to partner and mentor University Researchers and Students.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!