Current Affairs November 3, 2018
1. Cabinet nod for opening up of Solar Alliance to all UN countries
- The Union Cabinet gave its approval for moving a resolution in the first assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to amend the framework agreement of the alliance to open up its membership to all UN countries.
- The Cabinet also apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with Russia.
- To strengthen cooperation in the field of tourism, the Cabinet approved signing of an MoU between India and Korea. The aim is to expand bilateral cooperation in the tourism sector and to encourage investment in the tourism and hospitality sectors.
- Approval was also given for renaming of Odisha’s Jharsuguda Airport, as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”.
2. Atul Goel takes over as MD, CEO of UCO Bank
- Atul Kumar Goel on assumed charge as Managing Director and CEO of UCO Bank. Prior to this assignment, he was executive director of Union Bank of India.
- Goel takes over from R K Takkar who completed his three-year tenure on November 1, 2018.
- He started his carrier as Chartered Accountant in Allahabad Bank in 1992 and worked various segments including corporate credit, foreign exchange and treasury.
3. IIT-Madras creates India's first indigenous microprocessor called 'Shakti'
- Lead researcher and Professor Kamakoti Veezhinathan said that 'Shakti' is India's first and indigenous microprocessor that has been developed by Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) at an outlay of about Rs 11 crore, which will not be outdated anytime soon
- The Indian Institute of Technology Madras has designed and booted up 'Shakti', which can be used for wireless and networking systems, as well as mobile computing.
- Veezhinathan, the lead researcher at IITM's Reconfigurable Intelligent Systems Engineering (RISE) Laboratory said that "Shakti" could be used by others as it was at par with international standards.
4. Justice Ramesh Ranganathan sworn in as Uttarakhand HC chief justice
- Justice Ramesh Ranganathan was sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court. He was administered the oath of office by Governor Baby Rani Maurya at the Raj Bhawan in Dehradun.Justice Ranganathan, a qualified Chartered Accountant and a Company Secretary, has a Law Degree from Bangalore University.
- He enrolled as an advocate in the Andhra Pradesh High Court in 1985. In 2005, he was appointed as an Additional Judge of the High Court, and in 2006, he was appointed a permanent judge of the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- In July 2016, he was appointed the acting chief justice of the High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad for Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
5. Azhar Ali announces retirement from ODIs
- Senior Pakistan batsman Azhar Ali announced his retirement from limited overs cricket in order to concentrate fully on Test cricket.
- Azhar, who had to step down as captain of the ODI team last year, however felt that he could have done more in 50-over cricket.
- Azhar has been one of Pakistan’s most prolific run-scorers in Test cricket as he scored a triple century and a double hundred in Tests in the UAE and Australia in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
6. Kirloskar group gets RBI nod for NBFC biz; to invest 1,000 cr
- The Kirloskar group said that it has received licence from the Reserve Bank to launch a non-banking finance company (NBFC), Kirloskar Capital, which will be headed by industry veteran Vimal Bhandari
- The group company said it will invest Rs 1,000 crore in the proposed NBFC, which will be a fully-owned subsidiary of Kirloskar Oil Engines, and will focus on providing growth capital to industry with an initial focus on small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- Apart from Kirloskar Oil Engines, the Pune-based group also runs Kirloskar Industries, Kirloskar Ferrous and Kirloskar Pneumatic.
7. WHO’s First Global Conference on Air Pollution and Health held in Geneva
- The first Global Conference on Air Pollution and Health will be held at WHO Headquarters in Geneva on 30 October - 1 November 2018.
- The conference is being held in collaboration with UN Environment, World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the Secretariat of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the Climate and Clean Air Coalition to Reduce Short-Lived Climate Pollutants (CCAC) and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE).
- The Objective of it is To combat one of the world’s most significant causes of premature death: Air Pollution.
8. Cabinet approves MoU between India and Korea in the field of tourism
- The cabinet on approved the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between India and Korea for strengthening cooperation in the field of tourism
- The main objectives of the MoU are to expand bilateral cooperation in tourism, including cooperation in data related to tourism, between tourism stakeholders.
- "India and Korea have enjoyed a strong diplomatic and long economic relationship. The two parties are now desiring to strengthen and further develop the established relationship for strengthening cooperation in the field of tourism.
Join IBPS Clerk Live Class
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS clerk , IBT has launched Special batches for clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!