Current Affairs November 2, 2018
1.PM to launch major Support and Outreach Initiative for MSME sector
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will launch the Union Government’s Support and Outreach Initiative for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- This outreach and support programme, which will run for the next 100 days, covering the entire country, is expected to provide even greater synergy to the efforts being made for this sector.
- The progress of this programme, to be implemented in mission mode, will be monitored on a continuous basis by senior officials of Union and State Governments.
2. India conducts successful night trial of nuclear-capable Agni-I missile
- India successfully conducted the night trial of the indigenously developed nuclear capable Agni-I ballistic missile off the Odisha coast.
- The surface-to-surface missile test was test-fired as part of a user-trial from the Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast.
- The night trial of the ballistic missile with a strike range of 700 km was first conducted in April 2014.
- The missile with a strike range of beyond 700 km has a specialised navigation system. It has already been inducted in the Indian Army.
3. Cabinet clears renaming Jharsuguda aerodrome as Veer Surendra Sai airport
- The Cabinet approved renaming Jharsuguda aerodrome in Odisha as 'Veer Surendra Sai Airport'. Veer Surendra Sai is a well-known freedom fighter of Odisha.
- The renaming of the airport as 'Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda' was cleared by the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The airport has been developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) in collaboration with Odisha government at an estimated cost of Rs 210 crore, with Rs 75 crore contribution from the state.
4. India-Japan military exercise begins in Mizoram
- Armies of India and Japan began their first ever joint military exercise at a jungle warfare school in Mizoram’s Vairengte with a focus on strengthening counter-terror cooperation
- The focus of the two-week-long exercise ‘Dharma Guardian-2018″ will be to enhance tactical skills against global terrorism and increase inter-operability between the two forces .
- The Japanese contingent is represented by 32nd Infantry Battalion, while the Indian side by 6/1 Gorkha Rifles.
- The objective of the exercise is to build and promote Army to Army relation in addition to exchange skills and experiences of both the armies.
5. Mary Kom named brand ambassador of 2018 Women's World Boxing Championships
- Olympic bronze medalist MC Mary Kom was named as the brand ambassador of the 10th edition of the Women's World Championship in New Delhi.
- The World Championships will see close to 300 pugilists from 70 countries across 10 weight categories, the tournament's highest-ever participation, including Olympic medalists, World and European Champions.
- BFI President Ajay Singh said that India will definitely do well at home, who also unveiled the logo and anthem of the championships.
6. Policybazaar partners with Accrivis to enable data integration using blockchain
- Policybazaar has partnered with Accrivis Network Pvt. Ltd., a data integration platform provider, to implement blockchain solutions to enhance customer centricity through data security and application integration for making the purchase of insurance a seamless affair.
- By integrating this technology, Policybazaar.com is looking to detect and minimise the rampant frauds that are on-going in the insurance ecosystem affecting both the business and the consumer.
- This technology will make the data indisputable and time-stamped for reliability, which will result in highly secure, more efficient and transparent exchange of information using a single network instead of multiple modes of information sharing.
7. RBI clears re-appointment of Aditya Puri as HDFC Bank CEO for 2 years
- HDFC Bank said the RBI had approved the re-appointment of Aditya Puri as managing director of the bank for another two years.
- Reserve Bank of India, vide its letter dated October 22, 2018, has accorded its approval to HDFC Bank Ltd. for re-appointment of Aditya Puri, as MD & CEO of the bank, from November 1, 2018 to October 26, 2020
- Puri has been with HDFC Bank since 1994, making him the longest-serving head of any private bank in the country.