Current Affairs May 31, 2019
1. Trump Says U.S. Will Hit Mexico With 5% Tariffs on All Goods
- President Trump said that he would impose a 5 percent tariff on all imported goods from Mexico beginning June 10, a tax that would “gradually increase” until the flow of undocumented immigrants across the border stopped.
- President Trump has declared a national emergency to tackle what he claims is a crisis at the US southern border.
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- President: Donald Trump
- President:Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
- Currency:Mexican peso
- Capital: Mexico City
2. World No Tobacco Day celebrated on 31st May
- Every year, on 31 May, the World Health Organization (WHO) and global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day.
- The annual campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness on the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use and second-hand smoke exposure, and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form.
- The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on “tobacco and lung health.”
About World Health Organization
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Tedros Adhanom
- Founded: 7 April 1948
About Global partners
- CEO: Eric Slifka
- Headquarters: Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
3. James Marape elected new Papua New Guinea prime minister
- James Marape, a former finance minister and critic of a major global gas development deal, has been elected by parliament as the prime minister of Papua New Guinea (PNG).
- He succeeds Peter O’Neill. Marape, the member for Tari-Pori in New Hela province was a key minister in O’Neill’s government.
- He was elected by MPs who voted 101 to 8, to make him the next leader.
About Papua New Guinea
- Prime minister: James Marape
- Capital: Port Moresby
- Currency: Papua New Guinean kina
4. IAF chief's squadron to be first Rafale combat aircraft unit
- The first Rafale combat aircraft would be inducted into the Indian Air Force's 'Golden Arrows' 17 Squadron which was commanded by Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa during the Kargil war in 1999.
- The first unit to receive the Rafale combat aircraft would be the 17 Squadron which was earlier located in Bhatinda in Punjab and will now be shifted to Ambala in Haryana.
- The first Rafale is expected to be handed over to the Indian Air Force in September 2019 but it would be required to undergo intensive 1,500 hours of testing to validate the India Specific Enhancements on it. So, the first batch of the four planes is likely to arrive at Ambala around May 2020.
About Indian Air Force
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 8 October 1932, India
- Air Chief Marshal:Birender Singh Dhanoa
5. IIT Guwahati signs MoU with ISRO to set up space technology
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati has signed an MoU with The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to set up an IITG-ISRO Space Technology Cell (STC) at the institute where Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi inaugurated a new academic complex and research and development.
- IITG-ISRO STC would be first of its kind in the North-east region to augment research and capacity building processes in the field of space technology.
- Full-Form: Indian Space Research Organisation
- Chairman: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
6. Binny, India’s Only Orangutan Dies In Odisha Zoo
- A 41-year-old orangutan at Odisha's Nandankanan Zoological Park died following a prolonged illness. The great ape was under treatment for the last one year by experts from the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry OUAT who were under constant advice of the Orangutan experts from UK and Singapore.Binny, was brought to Nandankanan Zoo from Pune's Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on November 20, 2003, when she was 25.
- Orangutans are one of the world''s three extant species of great apes and are native to Indonesia and Malaysia. Orangutans are currently found only in the rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.
- Considered to be among the most intelligent primates, orangutans can live up to 45 years in the wild and even more in zoos, according to experts.
- Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
About Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Nandankanan Zoological Park is a 437-hectare zoo and botanical garden in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. Established in 1960, it was opened to the public in 1979 and became the first zoo in India to join World Association of Zoos and Aquariums in 2009.
7. Centre launches song ‘Hawa Aane De’ on air pollution
- Song 'Hawa Aane De' launched to spread awareness about Air pollutionUnion Environment Ministry today launched the song 'Hawa Aane De' to spread awareness about Air pollution. The song was launched by Secretary, Ministry of Environment C K Mishra ahead of the World Environment Day on 5th of June.
- This year the theme of Environment Day is Air Pollution. He said, the awareness on the environment should be carried out round the year and the centre has launched the National Clean Air Programme to control and reduce air pollution across the country.
- World Environment Day: June 05
- Environment Minister: Prakash Javdekar
About Union Environment Ministry
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!