Current Affairs May 30, 2019
1. Nigeria’s Muhammadu Buhari sworn in for second term as president
- Muhammadu Buhari has been sworn in for a second term as Nigeria’s president, following a campaign that focused on tackling security threats and rooting out corruption.
- He did not make a speech during the low-profile event attended by members of the diplomatic community.
- Buhari, a former military ruler, won 56 percent of the votes to defeat his main challenger, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in the February 2019 election.
- Capital: Abuja
- Currency: Naira
- Prime Minister: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa
2. ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 begins on 30 May
- The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019 has started on 30th May 2019.England has open the tournament at The Oval in London when they will take on South Africa.
- The World Cup will span 48 matches in all, of which 45 will make up the group stage. Each team will play nine group stage matches, and the top four will progress to the semifinals, similar to how the 1992 World Cup was held.
- Designated CEO: Manu Sawhney
- CEO: Dave Richardson
- Chairperson: Shashank Manohar
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Founded: 15 June 1909
3. Scott Morrison sworn in as Australia's prime minister
- Scott Morrison was sworn in as Australia’s Prime Minister after retaining the position in the country’s general election.
- Mr. Morrison became Australia’s 30th Prime Minister. Along with Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack, Mr. Morrison was sworn in by Queen Elizabeth’s official representative in Australia, Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove.
- Also sworn in was Morrison’s revamped Cabinet, which includes an equal-record seven women, and Australia’s first Aboriginal federal cabinet minister, Ken Wyatt.
- Capital: Canberra Trending
- Currency: Australian dollar
- Prime Minister:Scott Morrison
4. Flipkart’s new brand ‘Adrenex’ to target sports and fitness enthusiasts
- Flipkart announced the launch of Adrenex, its in-house sports and fitness private label brand aimed at sports and fitness aspirants.The company said in a statement that the Adrenex will be designed to cater to lifestyle and fitness enthusiasts in India.
- The private label plans to offer more than 220 product categories which will be listed on the sports and fitness category on Flipkart.
- According to the Flipkart, the sports and fitness industry in India is estimated to be valued at $5.6 billion by 2023 from the current valuation of $3.3 billion.
- CEO: Kalyan Krishnamurthy
- Founded: October 2007
- Founders: Binny Bansal, Sachin Bansal
5. US-UAE Defence agreement comes into force
- The United States and the United Arab Emirates have announced that mutual defense cooperation agreement had come into force, amid increasing tensions between Washington and Tehran.
- The DCA (Defense Cooperation Agreement) will enhance military coordination between the United States and the United Arab Emirates, further advancing an already robust military, political, and economic partnership at a critical time.
- US President Donald Trump bypassed Congress to sell USD 8.1 billion in arms to Saudi Arabia and other Arab allies, citing the alleged threat from Iran.
- Capital: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Currency: The United Arab Emirates dirham
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- President: Donald Trump
- Currency:United States Dollar
6. Goa celebrates its statehood day
- Goa celebrates its statehood day on 30th May. It was on this day in 1987 Goa became the 25th state of the Indian Union.
- It was a Union Territory along with Daman and Diu from December 1961 onwards when Goa was liberated from the colonial rule.
- Once Goa was liberated there was a controversy regarding merging Goa with the neighbouring state of Maharashtra or Mysore. However, an opinion poll of 1967 suggested that Goa, Daman, and Diu be Union Territory.
- Chief minister: Pramod Sawant
- Capital: Panaji
7. Military tribunal allows Karambir Singh to take charge as new Navy Chief
- The Armed Forces Tribunal cleared the way for Vice Admiral Karambir Singh to become the next Navy Chief, while it deferred for four weeks the matter of Vice Admiral Bimal Verma which seeks to quash Singh’s appointment.
- Karambir Singh, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, will take over as the Navy Chief on 31st May 2019
About Indian Navy
- Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba will retire on 31st May after completion of his tenure
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Navy.
- Motto: शं नो वरुणः (Sanskrit); Shaṁ No Varunaḥ (IAST); May the Lord of the Water be auspicious unto us (English)
- Founded: 5 September 161.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!