Current Affairs May 27, 2019
1. PM Narendra Modi to swear in on 30th May
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will take the oath of office on May 30 (Thursday) at 7 pm at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The President will administer the oath of Office and secrecy to the Prime Minister and other members of Union Council of Ministers. The BJP on May 23 got an overwhelming majority in the Lok Sabha, crossing on its own the 300 marks while storming back to power for the second consecutive term.
- Modi is the first BJP leader who has been elected for the second time after completion of his five-year tenure. From BJP, Atal Bihari Vajpayee was also elected as a prime minister for two consecutive terms, but his first stint had lasted only for one year and seven months.
- The NDA together has a strength of 353 MPs in the 543-member Lok Sabha out of which the BJP has a majority of 303 MPs.
2. PS Golay was sworn in as Sikkim Chief Minister
- Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM) president Prem Singh Tamang, popularly known as PS Golay took oath as the Chief Minister of Sikkim. He was administered the oath by Governor Ganga Prasad at Paljor Stadium in Gangtok. Mr. Golay is not a member of the State Assembly at present as he did not contest the polls. The 51-year-old party chief when he was taking the oath in the Nepali language.
- Former Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling and senior Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) leaders were conspicuous by their absence at the swearing-in ceremony. The SKM won a slender majority in the 32-member Sikkim Legislative Assembly by bagging 17 seats against 15 won by the SDF.
- Capital: Gangtok
- Chief minister: Pawan Kumar
3. Cyril Ramaphosa takes oath as South Africa’s President
- Cyril Ramaphosa was sworn in for a five-year term as South Africa’s President with a delicate fight against government corruption ahead of him.
- He was elected earlier this month with a majority of 57.50%, the smallest since the party came to power 25 years ago.
- Mr. Ramaphosa initially took over from Jacob Zuma in 2018 after Mr. Zuma was accused of corruption. Mr. Ramaphosa is the country’s fifth democratically elected president since apartheid ended in 1994.
About South Africa
- Capital: Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein.
- Currency: rand
- President: Cyril Ramaphosa
4. NASA unveils schedule for ‘Artemis’ 2024 Moon mission
- NASA unveiled the calendar for the “Artemis” program that will return astronauts to the Moon for the first time in half a century, including eight scheduled launches and a mini-station in lunar orbit by 2024. The original lunar missions were named for Apollo – Artemis was his twin sister in Greek mythology, and the goddess of hunting, wilderness, and the Moon.
- Administrator Jim Bridenstine confirmed that Artemis 1 will be an uncrewed mission around the Moon planned for 2020. Next will come Artemis 2, which will orbit Earth’s satellite with a crew around 2022; followed finally by Artemis 3 that will put astronauts on lunar soil in 2024, including the first woman.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Headquarters: Washington
- Founder: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Founded: 29 July 1958
5. Lewis Hamilton wins Monaco Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton won the Monaco Grand Prix to extend his championship lead over Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas. Hamilton struggled with grip in the latter stages and was under constant pressure from Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
- But Verstappen had earlier picked up a five-second time penalty. So even though he finished just behind Hamilton, Verstappen was fourth overall behind Bottas in third and Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel in second.
About Lewis Hamilton
- Born: 7 January 1985
- Place: Stevenage, United Kingdom
- First win: 2007 Canadian Grand Prix
- First entry: 2007 Australian Grand Prix
6. China beat Japan to win 2019 Sudirman Cup
- China won the badminton world mixed-team championship, Sudirman Cup 2019 in Nanning, China. They beat Japan in men’s doubles, women’s singles and men’s singles to clinch the title for the 11th time.
- In the latest Men’ singles match, Shi Yuqi stunned world champion Kento Momota 15-21, 21-5,21-11. Japan have never won the Sudirman Cup.
- Currency: Renminbi
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
- Prime minister: Shinzō Abe
7. Facebook plans to launch ‘GlobalCoin’ cryptocurrency in 2020
- Facebook is planning to launch its own cryptocurrency in early 2020, allowing users to make digital payments in a dozen countries.
- The currency, dubbed GlobalCoin, would enable Facebook’s 2.4 billion monthly users to change dollars and other international currencies into its digital coins. The coins could then be used to buy things on the internet and in shops and other outlets, or to transfer money without needing a bank account.
- Founded: February 2004, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- CEO: Mark Zuckerberg
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, United States
- CFO: David Wehner
8. Apurvi Chandela bags gold medal in 10m Air Rifle in ISSF World Cup
- Indians had a good day at the year’s third International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup Rifle and Pistol tournament in Munich, Germany. Apurvi Chandela grabbed a gold, winning the women’s 10m Air Rifle competition after a closely-fought contest. She shot a score of 251 in the final to outshine Wang Luyao of China, who shot 250.8.
- This was Apurvi’s second ISSF World Cup gold of the year followed by a world record score in New Delhi in February. This was also her career’s fourth ISSF medal.
About ISSF World Cup
- The ISSF World Cup was introduced by the International Shooting Sport Federation in 1986 to provide a homogeneous system for qualification to the Olympic shooting competitions.
- It still is carried out in the Olympic shooting events, with four competitions per year in each event
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!