Current Affairs May 21, 2019
1. May 21: celebrated as Anti-terrorism day
- May 21, is chosen as Anti-terrorism day in India to commemorate the death Anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi died in a terrorist attack.
- On this day Anti Terrorism pledge is taken in all the government offices and other public institutions.
- Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated in 1991 by a woman operative of the separatist Lankan Tamil outfit LTTE, who greeted him at a rally in Tamil Nadu's Sriperumbudur town with a bomb strapped to her chest.
About Rajiv Gandhi
♦ Mr. Rajiv Gandhi was the youngest Prime Minister of India.
♦ Born: 20 August, 1944
♦ Place of Birth: Bombay (now Mumbai), Maharashtra
♦ Parents: Feroze Gandhi (Father) and Indira Gandhi (Mother)
About Tamil Nadu
♦ Capital and Largest city: Chennai( Madras )
♦ Districts: 33
♦ Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
♦ Chief Minister : Edappadi K. Palaniswami
♦ National Parks : Indira Gandhi, Gulf of Mannar Marine, Mukurthi
2. Indian peacekeeper to be honoured posthumously with UN medal
- Police Officer Jitender Kumar made the supreme sacrifice while serving in the UN Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
- He will be honoured with the Dag Hammarskjold Medal on Friday as the world organisation observes the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers.
- An Indian peacekeeper is among the 119 military, police and civilian personnel who will be honoured this year with a prestigious UN medal this year for courage and sacrifice in the line of duty.
About United Nation Organisation
♦ Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
♦ Founded: 24 October 1945,
♦ Official languages: Arabic; Chinese; English; French; Russian; Spanish;
♦ Secretary general: António Guterres
3. 2nd India Open Int’l Boxing Tournament begins in Guwahati
- The Second India Open International Boxing Tournament began at Karmabir Nabin Chandra Bordoloi Indoor Stadium in Guwahati from Monday. The five-day boxing tournament will continue till Friday.
- With the international boxing tournament being held in a northeastern state of the country, the people of the region awaiting participation of a lot star boxers like Mary Kom, Shiva Thapa and Lovlina Borgohain.
♦ Capital: Dispur
♦ Chief minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
♦ Official song: O Mur Apunar Desh
♦ Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
4. IMCOR: 8th Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol Begins
- The 2019 Indo-Myanmar coordinated patrol (IMCOR) is taking place from 20 May to 28 May 2019. This is the 8th edition of coordinated patrol (CORPAT) be.
- The coordinated patrol (CORPAT) initiative between the Indian Navy and Myanmar Navy seeks to address issues of terrorism, human trafficking, poaching, illegal fishing, drug trafficking and other illegal activities harmful to interest of both nations.
- The Indo-Myanmar coordinated patrol IMCOR will be conducted from 20 May 2019 to 28 May 2019. For the ‘Opening Ceremony’ of 2019 edition, Myanmar Navy Ship namely UMS King TabinShweHtee (773) and UMS Inlay (OPV-54) arrived on 20 May 2019 in Port Blair at Andaman and Nicobar Command.
♦ Capital: Naypyitaw
♦ Currency: Burmese kyat
♦ President: Win Myint
5. Google has barred the world's second biggest smartphone maker, Huawei.
- Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. is a Chinese multinational telecommunications equipment and consumer electronics manufacturer
- New designs of Huawei smartphones are set to lose access to some Google apps.The move comes after the Trump administration added Huawei to a list of companies that American firms cannot trade with unless they have a licence.
- Google said it was "complying with the order and reviewing the implications".
- Future Huawei devices may no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps.
♦ CEO: Ren Zhengfei (1988–)
♦ Headquarters: Shenzhen, China
♦ Founder: Ren Zhengfei
♦ Founded: 15 September 1987, Shenzhen, China
♦ Parent organization: Huawei Investment & Holding Co., Ltd.
6. Brooks Koepka returns to world No. 1 after fourth major golf title.
- Brooks Koepka returned to the top of the world golf rankings, after his US PGA Championship victory at Bethpage Black.
- He has now won 4 major titles in his last 8 starts and is the 1st man to ever hold back-to-back titles in two majors at the same time.
♦ Dustin Johnson & Justin Rose: at 2nd & 3rd ranks respectively.
7. Joko Widodo secures second term as Indonesia's president
- Indonesia's Joko Widodo has been re-elected as president of the country, beating rival Prabowo Subianto, a retired general.
- Widodo and his vice-presidential running mate Ma'ruf Amin won the election by a 55.5% to 44.5% margin over Subianto and Sandiaga Uno.
- The presidential inauguration is expected to be held in October.
♦ Capital- Jakarta,
♦ Currency- Indonesian rupiah.
♦ Ambassador of India to Indonesia: Pradeep Kumar Rawat.
8. Reliance beats Indian Oil Corp to become biggest Indian company by revenue.
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani's oil-to-telecom conglomerate Reliance Industries has toppled state-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC) to become the country's biggest company by revenue.
- Reliance Industries has toppled state-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) to become the country’s biggest company by revenue
♦ Owner: Mukesh Ambani
♦ Founder: Dhirubhai Ambani
♦ Founded: 8 May 1973, Maharashtra
♦ Subsidiaries: Jio, JioSaavn, Indiavidual Learning.
9. SBI ties up with FMCG arm of The Art of Living
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has announced a strategic partnership with the FMCG arm of The Art of Living — Sri Sri Tattva.
- Under this partnership, YONO users can avail a discount of 15% on the entire range of products offered by Sri Sri Tattva such as food, personal care, healthcare, homecare, BYOGI apparels and Shankara skincare products.
♦ Headquarters: Mumbai
♦ Founded: 1 July 1955.
10. Niti Aayog pushes for Rs 7,500-crore proposal for AI platform, research institutes.
- Niti Aayog has circulated a cabinet note to provide Rs 7,500 crore for the establishment of AIRAWAT, a cloud computing platform along with research institutes.
- This is part of the policy think tank's proposal to create an institutional framework for artificial intelligence (AI) in the country.
About NITI Aayog
♦ NITI Aayog: National Institution for Transforming India.
♦ NITI Aayog CEO: Amitabh Kant.
♦ Vice Chairman: Rajiv Kumar.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!