Current Affairs May 17, 2019
1. BSE Launches BSE StAR MF App For Its Mutual Fund Platform
- Leading stock exchangeBSE said it has launched 'BSE StAR MF' app to enable more participation and help mutual fund distributors process transactions faster.
- As per the BSE, this mobile app supports real-time client registration and paperless transactions, creates and uploads mandate for SIPs, generates the basket of multiple orders, tracks and allows the distributor to analyse his business at his fingertips.
- Bombay Stock Exchange Ltd.) is Asia's first stock exchange.
- BSE CEO - Ashishkumar Chauhan.
- Founded - 9 July 1875
2. World Telecommunication and Information Society Day 17 May
- World Telecommunication & Information Society Day is observed all over the world on 17th May.
- The theme for World Telecommunication & Information Society Day 2019 is 'Bridging the Standardization Gap'.
- 17th May also marks the anniversary of the signing of the first International Telegraph Convention and the creation of the International Telecommunication Union
3. Jeffrey Rosen Confirmed As US' Next Deputy Attorney General
- Jeffrey Rosen was confirmed as the United States' latest deputy attorney general by the US Senate on Thursday after his predecessor, Rod Rosenstein, left the department last week.
- The latest deputy attorney general previously served at the Department of Transportation as the deputy secretary. He also served in former US President George W. Bush's administration.
- Capital - Washington, D.C.
- President - Donald Trump
- Currency - United States dollar
- Largest city - New York City
4. Ujjivan Small Finance Bank appoints Nitin Chugh as next MD and CEO
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Limited has appointed Nitin Chugh as its next Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) from December 1, 2019.
- The bank has received the approval of its application for Chugh's appointment, from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on May 14, 2019. Nitin Chugh will join the bank by August 2019 as President and will work closely with Samit Ghosh, existing MD and CEO to ensure a smooth transition
- Founded - 1 February 2017
- Founder - Samit Ghosh
- Headquarters - Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- MD and CEO - Samit Ghosh,
5. Saudi Arabia Approves Permanent Residency For First Time
- The Saudi government has approved for the first time a scheme that gives permanent residency to certain expatriates, allowing them to own real estate in the kingdom and reside with their families without a Saudi sponsor.
- The "Privileged Iqama" system will offer a permanent residence scheme and one that can be renewed annually
- The decision, approved by Saudi Arabia's Cabinet, is aimed at attracting long-term investments
- Capital and largest city - Riyadh
- Official language - Arabic
- Currency - Saudi riyal
- King - Salman of Saudi Arabia
6. Donald Trump Unveils Merit-Based Immigration System
- US President Donald Trump has rolled out a merit-based immigration system from which foreigners, including hundreds and thousands of Indian professionals and skilled workers, waiting to get Green Cards or permanent legal residency stand to benefit.
- As per the proposed system, permanent legal residency would be given based on points for their age, knowledge, job opportunities and civic sense. The proposals significantly increase the quota for skilled workers from the existing nearly 12% to 57%.
- Washington DC was formerly known as District of Columbia
7. NSG commandos summit Mt Everest in maiden attempt
- Commandos of the National Security Guard, NSG, scaled the Mount Everest, the world's highest peak, in their maiden attempt.
- The NSG in a statement said in New Delhi today that a seven-member team led by Lt Col J P Kumar, successfully unfurled the Indian flag at the 8,848-metre tall peak at about 7 am today. The team adopted the southeastern approach via South Col in Solukhumbhu region of Nepal.
- Founded - 1984
- Headquarters: - New Delhi
- Lt Col - J P Kumar
8. Indian Navy successfully test-fires MRSAM missile
- Indian Navy test-fired a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) to enhance its anti-air warfare capability.
- It was undertaken on the western seaboard by INS Kochi & Chennai. DRDO has developed the missile in alliance with Israel Aerospace Industries.
- Govt has appointed Karambir Singh as next chief of naval staff.
9. Taiwan approves same-sex marriage in a first for Asia
- Taiwan's parliament has become the first in Asia to legalise same-sex marriage following a vote on Friday.
- Taiwan’s Constitutional Court ruled in May 2017 that the constitution permits same-sex marriages. The court gave parliament two years to amend the island’s marriage laws.
- Capital - Taipei
- Largest city - New Taipei
- National languages - Mandarin (de facto),Formosan languages, Taiwanese,Hakka
- President - Tsai Ing-wen
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!