Current Affairs May 16, 2019
1. For the first time India will host the 5th Army International Scout Masters Competition
- India for the first time will host and participate in a major army competition involving eight countries, including China and Russia, in Jaisalmer, defence ministry officials said.
- The event called the ‘Army International Scout Masters Competition 2019’ will be held in August this year.
- The fifth Army International Scouts Masters Competition 2019 is being held in Jaisalmer. Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Zimbabwe, Armenia, Belarus and China besides India are participating.
- The competition is being held in India for the first time under the Indian Army and being organised by its Konark Corps at Jaisalmer Military Station.
- Jaisalmer is the largest district of Rajasthan and 3rd largest district by territorial region in the country. Jaisalmer is also called the "Golden City of India" because of the yellow sandstone.
- The Desert National Park is situated in Jaisalmer city.
- (d.)On May 11 and May 13, 1998 five nuclear tests were performed in Pokhran is a city located in the Jaisalmer distric under the leadership of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
2. RBI has published ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019 – 2021
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released its statement on ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019–2021’, which notifies the steps that RBI will take to promote innovation, cyber-security, financial inclusion, customer protection, and competition through which the vision looks forward to achieve a ‘highly digital’ and ‘cash-lite’ society.
- The RBI has notified the requirement for a self-regulatory organisation for the digital payment space, that would serve as a 2-way communication channel between the players and the regulator.The number of digital transactions would rise over 4 times, from 20.69 billion in December 2018 to 87.07 billion in December 2021.
- The Reserve Bank of India was established following the Reserve Bank of India Act of 1934, it was nationalised in 1949.
- Shaktikanta Das is the twenty-fifth governor of the Reserve Bank of India from 12 December 2018 andthe First Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor was Sir Osborne Smith
- The first Headquarters of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was in Kolkata.
3. Council of European Chambers of Commerce(CEUCC) to honour Anil Kapoor for promoting Children’s Rights
- Actor Anil Kapoor will be felicitated by the Council of European Chambers of Commerce (CEUCC) in India and an European Union delegation as part of the ‘Europe Day’ celebrations here on Friday, an official spokesperson said.
- The event will highlight how Europe has always been a favourite shooting destination for Indian filmmakers for many decades. Bollywood movies have for long been using the picturesque locales of the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy and now even places like Greece, Hungary, Austria and Romania are gaining popularity for their natural beauty.
- Europe Day is celebrated every year on May 9 to mark the formation of the European Union (EU).
- Brussels, the capital of Belgium is sometimes called Capital of Europe, The euro is the official currency of 19 of the 28 member states of the European Union.
- London is the largest city of European union.
4. Padmaja appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Nauru
- On May 16, 2019, the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, announced the appointment of Ms. Padmaja as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Nauru with residence in Suva.
- She is currently serving as the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Fiji. She is set to take up her responsibility soon.
- She succeeds Vishvas Vidu Sapkal.
- No Official capital, but Government offices are located at Yaren District.
- Australian Dollar is currency of Nauru .
- Baron Waqa Is president of Nauru.
5. Scientists of Germany found a new bird like Dinosaur “Alcmonavis Poeschli”.
- Researchers in Germany have unearthed a new bird like Dinosaur and named it as “Alcmonavis Poeschli”. The lead author of the study is Oliver Rauhut from Ludwig-Maximilians University’s (LMU) Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences.
- This new study is published in the journal called eLife Sciences which described Alcmonavis Poeschli as “the most bird-like bird discovered from the Jurassic”.
- For the first time, it was discovered in 1861 as Archaeopteryx which was a small feathered dinosaur around the size of a crow. It lived in marshland around 150 million years ago and was the named as the oldest flying bird.
- Germany is the seventh-largest country in Europe. The first printed book was in German. The first magazine ever seen was launched in 1663 in Germany. Germany is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.
- Berlin is the capital of Germany and Euro is the capital of Germany.
- Germany was the first country in the world to adopt Daylight saving time – DST, also known as summer time. This occured in 1916, in the midst of WWI.
6. China set to host Asian Cup 2023 after withdrawal from South Korea
- Recently, Korea Football Association (KFA) had withdraw their bid to host Asian Cup 2023 which leave the sole other bidders China with a free run to become hosts. KFA announced that they are pulled out to strategically focus on a joint bid with North Korea to host Women’s World Cup in 2023
- The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) will confirm on June 4 about China’s bid to hold Asian Cup 2023 in China.
- Last time China hosted Asian Cup in 2004 when China lost to Japan by 3-1 in the final held in Beijing.3.
- This year the Asian Cup was held in UAE in which Qatar defeated Japan by 3-1 in the final.
- Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Headquarter is in: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and President is Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa
7. The second International Day of Light is celebrated globally on 16th May 2019
- Globally, May 16 is celebrated as International Day of Light. This the 2nd edition of the International Day of Light
- UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) officially observes the International Day of Light so as to continuously appreciate light and for the exemplary role it plays in science, culture and art, education, sustainable development, medicine, communications, and energy.
- The Director-General of UNESCO is Audrey Azoulay.
- On 16th May 2019, globally, more than 300 events took place in 60 countries.
- UNESCO headquarters are located at Place de Fontenoy in Paris, France
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!