Current Affairs May 15, 2019
1. Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully conducted the flight test of ABHYAS in Odisha
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted the flight test of 'Abhyas', a high-speed expendable aerial target (HEAT), which offers a realistic threat scenario for practice of weapon systems.The test was tracked by RADAR and Electro Optic Systems.
- It was conducted in chandipur in odisha.
- HEAT hear stands for speed expendable aerial target.
2. Young Scientist Programme (Yuvika-2019) Inaugurated by ISRO Chairman Dr. K. Sivan
- The indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched the Young Scientist Programme 'Yuvika 2019'. ISRO Chairman Dr. K. Sivan inaugurated Yuvika (Yuva VIgyani KAryakram) 2019.It was launched by ISRO in tune with the Centre governments vision of Jai Vigyan, Jai Anusandhan.
- This is the first time it is being held.
- It will be conducted across 4 centres of ISRO, Department of Space (DOS)-( a)Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad. (b)North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC), Shillong.(c)Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram .(d)U R Rao Satellite Centre (URSC), Bengaluru.
3. India’s Smallest Orchids discovered in Assam
- Lecanorchis taiwaniana (The parasitic bloom), a type of orchid was accidentally discovered in Assam by Assam’s forest officer’s named Jatindra Sharma .
- It is a variant of a Japanese orchid.
- The discovery of Lecanorchis taiwaniana adds to the orchid wealth of northeast India (NEI). India has about 1,300 species of orchids out of which 800 are found in NEI, about 300 species are found in Western Ghats and 200 in northwestern Himalayas.
4. Sanjiv Puri appointed as ITC’s New Chairman on May 14, 2019 by ITC Group’
- FMCG major ITC Ltd on Monday said its board of directors has appointed company Managing Director Sanjiv Puri as its Chairman with immediate effect following the demise of Y. C.
- Deveshwar, who was the company's longest-serving corporate head, died on Saturday. He was 72.
- He was first appointed as an Executive Director in April, 1984 and became Chairman in 1996.
5. Paytm collaborated with Citibank to launch its 1st credit card called ‘Paytm First Card’
- Paytm collaborated with Citibankto launch its 1st credit card called ‘Paytm First Card’Dinesh Pangtey.
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma, chairman and CEO, One97 Communications, the parent of Paytm, said the offering should increase payments flexibility for Paytm users, and will help spur large-ticket cashless payments.
- The Paytm First Card offers 1% universal unlimited cashback and has no restrictions on rewards for any transaction.
6. India’s GS Lakshmi became the first woman female ICC match referee
- India’s GS Lakshmi became thewoman female ICC match referee
- A 51-year old former Indian cricketer GS Lakshmi became the first ever female match referee to be included into the International Cricket Council (ICC)’s International Panel of Match Referees
7. ICICI Bank joins hands travel Goibibo to launch multi-currency card
- ICICI Bank announced the launch of a co-branded multi-currency card with online travel booking portal Goibibo.Anyone travelling abroad, whether they hold an ICICI Bank savings account or not, can apply for the Goibibo ICICI Bank Travel Card on the Goibibo website and mobile app.
- The card also includes benefits of up to ₹20,000, including gift vouchers of ₹15,000 from Goibibo. Additionally, customers get 40 paise discount on currency conversion rate on loading of a minimum of $1,000.
- Further, they get the advantage of complimentary card protection from theft and loss up to₹5 lakh. It also provides flat 15 per cent discount at more than 100 Indian restaurants across six foreign cities, including Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Bangkok.The card also offers travel insurance between₹2 lakh and ₹10 lakh.
8. Indian Army, Navy and Air Force hold joint exercise in Andaman and Nicobar
- All three services, Indian Army, Navy and Air Force hold joint exercise Bull Strike at Teressa Island in Andaman and Nicobar.
- The objective is to enhance their coordination in dealing with major security challenges which are currently facing the country and also to showcase joint operation capability of the three forces, Indian Army, Navy and Air Force and further enhance operation coordination.
- Total 170 troops from all three services participated and carried out para drop operations in a Combat Free Fall and Static Line mode.
9. Virat Kohli and Smriti Mandhana won International Cricketers of Year Award
- The CEAT International Cricket Awards 2019, Indian skipper Virat Kohli bagged the International Cricketer of the Year Award and Smriti Mandhana won International Woman Cricketer of Year Award. Virat Kohli won the Best Batsman Award.
- Kohli scored 10,843 runs in the One-Day Internationals (ODI) and 6613 runs in the longest format. Smriti Mandhana has scored 1951 runs in the ODIs and 1298 runs in the shortest format.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Mohinder Amarnath who is the former Indian all-rounder and he was the member of the winning team of World Cup 1983.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!