Current Affairs May 09, 2019
1. 15th Finance Commission to hold meetings with RBI, banks, financial institutions
- The 15th Finance Commission will have meetings with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), banks and financial institutions on May 8 and 9 in Mumbai.
- The Commission is likely to discuss views on key macro-economic assumptions, cost of borrowings for the Centre and states, requirements for the recapitalisation of banks.
- The other issues that would come up during the deliberation include market driven borrowing cost and debt trajectories of states.
2. Vice President to embark on a four-day visit to Vietnam
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will embark on a four-day official visit to Vietnam from May 09. His visit is expected to enhance India’s comprehensive strategic partnership with the Southeast Asian nation.
- Upon his arrival in Vietnam’s Capital Honoi, Shri Naidu will address the Indian Community at a reception hosted by the Ambassador of India.
- Shri Naidu’s participation at the event is expected to further strengthen ties between India and Buddhist communities worldwide.
3. Max Life Insurance to Mark 6th of Every Month as Protection Day
- Max Life Insurance Co Ltd, one of industry's foremost life insurance companies, announced that it will dedicate 6th day of every calendar month as 'Protection Day' towards driving awareness around the concept of financial protection.
- As a part of this initiative, a wide range of initiatives will be rolled out across Max Life's network of over 240 Max Life's offices and a wider network of its distribution partners.
- As a part of the initiative the Company will also drive a "Super Customer Week", where customers across the board will be educated about various aspects of financial protection.
4. Visa appoints Sujatha V Kumar as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia
- Visa announced the appointment of Sujatha V Kumar as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia.
- She will be driving overall marketing strategy and execution including consumer, retail and digital marketing initiatives for India and the emerging markets of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal and the Maldives.
- Prior to this, Sujatha was with Google as Head - Brand & Reputation, Marketing and Strategy.
- Sujatha started her career at Procter & Gamble and, over the years, has gathered rich experience in sales and marketing across companies such as Gillette, Nokia, The Royal Bank of Scotland and Coca-Cola.
5. India's Jagjit Pavadia re-elected to International Narcotics Control Board
- In a significant victory, India's Jagjit Pavadia was re-elected to the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) for another term.
- She posted the highest number of votes at 44. Ms Pavadia has been a member of the INCB since 2015 and her current term is set to expire in 2020.
- The victory added to India's successful record of winning crucial elections at the UN and to the world organisation's subsidiary bodies.
6. India, Bangladesh to produce movie on Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- India and Bangladesh will jointly produce a movie based on the life of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. It will be directed by eminent Indian filmmaker Shyam Benegal.
- A meeting was held between delegation of Information and Broadcasting Ministry led by Secretary Amit Khare and visiting Bangladeshi delegation in this regard in New Delhi.
- A working agreement on cooperation between All India Radio and Bangladesh Betar was also agreed upon between the two countries, implementation of which would start from June.
7. Airtel and Hughes to merge their India VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) operations
- Bharti Airtel has decided to merge its broadband satellite, or VSAT, business with that of market leader Hughes Communications India, to create a stronger no. 1 in the space.
- VSAT is used to provide satellite based telecom and internet access to individuals and enterprise users. The new company will continue to be called Hughes Communications India Ltd., but the name could be changed in future.
- Hughes Communications will own 67% share of the new entity while Airtel will own the rest.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!