Current Affairs May 07, 2019
1. SBI Card raises ₹700 crore from banks, including parent bank to fund growth
- SBI Card raised ₹700 crore from several financial institutions including its parent State Bank of India (SBI) in the second half of FY19 as it aims to grow above the industry average.
- SBI Card is over 4 million cards behind the private sector lender at 7.9 million outstanding credit cards in the same period.
- The ₹700-crore fundraise is part of SBI Card’s plan to raise ₹1,500 crore in a few tranches.
2. Indian Navy's frontline missile destroyer INS Ranjit to be decommissioned on May 6
- Indian Navy's frontline missile destroyer - INS Ranjit - would be decommissioned at the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam on May 6 after serving for 36 years.
- INS Ranjit is the third of the five Kashin-class destroyers built by erstwhile USSR. It was commissioned in 1983.
- The ship was commissioned as INS Ranjit on September 15, 1983, with Captain Vishnu Bhagwat at the helm.
3. E-Governance Services India ties up with IIT-Kanpur to upscale Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
- E-Governance Services India Limited,has tied up with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur to upscale ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’.
- ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’ is an initiative of the Ministry of HRD,aims to find solutions to accelerate sustainable growth in rural India.
- Under the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, IIT-Kanpur has brought together 15 leading higher education institutions from Uttar Pradesh.
4. India's Saurav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa claim individual titles in Malaysia
- In a memorable day for India, Saurav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa won the individual titles in the Asian Squash Championship.Saurav Ghoshal defeated Leo Au Chun Ming of Hong Kong.
- Joshna Chinappa, the second seed, successfully defended her title, beating the top seed Annie Au of Hong Kong 11-5, 8-11, 11-6, 11-6 in the summit clash.
- Joshna last beat Annie Au in September 2017 in the Hong Kong International Open.
5. G7 Countries gathered in France to discuss climate crisis
- Environmental ministers from G7 countries gatheredin the French city of Metz, to discuss concrete climate actions and adopt a charter on biodiversity.
- The G7 countries of France, Canada, Germany, the United States, Japan, Italy, the UK, along with delegations from Mexico, Chili, Niger, Gabon, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Fiji, Norway and the European Union, are all attending the summit.
- The aim of this is to combat inegalities, deforestation, drought, plastic garbage along with coral reef protection and adopt a charter on biodiversity.
6. Serbian Dragan Mihailovic appointed new Indian men’s team coach
- The Volleyball Federation of India appointed Serbian Dragan Mihailovic as head coach of the men’s national team in a move linked to the long term goal of Olympic Games qualification.
- The VFI also announced the appointment of Pryemyslaw Gaszyoski and Valadimir Radosevic as the team’s physio trainer and physiotherapist respectively.
- All the three have been appointed for five months and will work with the team for the Asian Championships scheduled to be held in Iran during September.
7. Indian-origin journalist conferred with V K Krishna Menon award
- G D 'Robert' Govender, an Indian-origin journalist in South Africa, has been honoured in the UK with 2019 V K Krishna Menon award for his outstanding contribution as a pioneer of decolonised journalism.
- The South Africa-born journalist was awarded posthumously during an event to mark the 123rd birth anniversary of Indian diplomat and politician V K Krishna Menon.
- Govender's books include 'The Martyrdom of Patrice Lumumba' which exposed the role of Western intelligence agencies in the murder of the Congolese independence leader.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!