Current Affairs May 03, 2018
1. May 3- World Press Freedom Day
- World Press Freedom Day is observed worldwide on May 3 to celebrate the fundamental principles of press freedom, protect the media from attacks and pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives while being on duty.
- The theme of 2018 World Press Freedom Day is ‘Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law’.
- This day was established by the UN General Assembly in December 1993, following the recommendation of UNESCO's General Conference. This year UNESCO will lead the 25th celebration of World Press Freedom Day.
- The main event, organized by UNESCO and Government of the Republic of Ghana, will take place in Accra, Ghana.
2. India- South Africa Business Summit
- Suresh Prabhu (Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation) attended India- South Africa business summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The Minister highlighted the relations between India and South Africa and decided to take the economic partnership forward.
- The summit started with a series of bilateral meetings. Mr Prabhu began a multi-sectoral exhibition at Johannesburg.
3. Cabinet approved continuation of Umbrella Scheme ‘Green Revolution'
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the PM Shri Narendra Modi has given approval for the Umbrella Scheme, "Green Revolution – Krishonnati Yojana"
- The Schemes will be continued with an expenditure of Rs.33, 269.976 crore in agriculture for the period from 2017-18 to 2019-20. The Umbrella scheme comprises of 11 Schemes/Missions.
- The main purpose of this scheme is to develop the agriculture sector in a scientific manner to increase the income of farmers by enhancing production, productivity and better returns on produce.
4. Cabinet approves Doubling of Investment Limit for Senior Citizens
- Union Cabinet chaired by PM Narendra Modi has given its approval for extending the investment limit from Rs 7.5 lakhs to Rs 15 lakhs under the Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY).
- This will provide a larger social security cover to the Senior citizens. It will enable up to Rs.10000 Pension per month for Senior Citizens.
- The time limit for subscription has also been extended from 4th May 2018 to 31st March, 2020.
5. Artist-Philosopher Ravinder Sharma passed away
- 65 years old Ravinder Sharma, also known as Guruji, has died.
- Guruji had been awarded Kala Ratna by the Andhra Pradesh State government in 2014. The Telangana government awarded him the Ugadi Puraskaram in 2015.
- He is the founder of Adilabad's Kala Ashram.
Click below to watch video session of current affairs 03 May, 2018
6. Radhakrishnan Nair appointed as ICICI Bank independent director
- Former IRDAI member Radhakrishnan Nair has been appointed as an Independent Director to ICICI Bank’s board.
- He has around 40 years of experience in the banking industry and in the field of securities and insurance regulation.
- His appointment will be for a period of five years.
7. Singer Asha Bhosle honoured with PC Chandra Puraskaar
- Renowned singer Asha Bhosle has been honoured with 26th PC Chandra Puraskaar.
- Sharmila Tagore presented the reputable award to Asha Bhosle. She was the chairperson of the event also.
- Asha Bhosle made her singing debut in 1943 and she has sung in a great variety of musical categories.
8. Subhash Chandra Khuntia has been appointed as new IRDAI chairman
- Former IAS officer Subhash Chandra Khuntia has been appointed as the new chairman of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of Mr.Khuntia to the post of chairperson of the insurance regulator.
- He replaced TS Vijayan.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!