Current Affairs March 14, 2019
1. HGS, NASSCOM Foundation launch centre to train differently-abled persons
- Hinduja Global Solutions (HGS) has teamed up with NASSCOM Foundation, to launch a centre of excellence in Bengaluru for training differently-abled persons.
- The centre will train a minimum of 100 PwDs making them industry-ready over the next 12 months with a goal to place at least 50 per cent of them in companies already sensitised for hiring them.
- This is third such centre set up under the partnership, after Noida and Delhi.
2. UK issues new ‘black hole’ coin in honour of Stephen Hawking
- The UK’s Royal Mint unveiled a new commemorative 50 pence coin inspired by the late legendary British physicist Stephen Hawking’s seminal work on black holes.
- Edwina Ellis, who designed the unusual coins, explained her inspiration behind it.
- The coin, on sale in silver and gold forms for a price range between 55 and 795 pounds on the Royal Mint’s website, is a nod to Hawking’s research into black holes.
3. INDO-OMAN Joint Ex Al Nagah 2019
- Indo Oman Joint Exercise Al Nagah III 2019, a joint military exercise between Indian and Royal Army of Oman (RAO), at HQ Jabel Regiment, Nizwa, Oman with a brief but impressive opening ceremony that saw the unfurling of the national flags of both countries.
- Ex Al Nagah 2019 will contribute immensely in developing mutual understanding and respect for each other’s military as also facilitate in tackling the worldwide phenomenon of terrorism.
- Both sides will jointly train, plan and execute a series of well-developed tactical drills for neutralization of likely threats that may be encountered in such a scenario.
4. Retail inflation increases to 2.57% in February 2019
- Retail inflation jumped to a four-month high of 2.57 per cent in February due to costlier food articles
- In the fuel and light category, the rate of price rise slowed to 1.24 per cent from 2.20 per cent in January.
- The retail inflation number for February 2019 is the highest since October 2018 when it stood at 3.38 per cent.
5. HDFC just became the third Indian company after Reliance and TCS to achieve a market value of more than ₹6 trillion
- On 13th March, HDFC Bank became the third Indian company after Reliance Industries (Rs. 8.52 trillion) and TCS (Rs. 7.49 trillion) to achieve a market value of Rs. 6 trillion, owing to a sudden upsurge in its share prices.
- HDFC Bank has been on a remarkable run as of late. The shares of the bank have risen in each of the last five trading sessions, capping a 6% jump to a record high of ₹2,227.40.
- The bank started as housing finance company in 1977, before commencing operations as a scheduled commercial bank in 1995 as part of the RBI’s drive to liberalise India’s banking sector.
6. SEBI lifts foreign investment cap on corporate bonds
- Markets regulator Sebi withdrew the 20 per cent limit on investments by Foreign Portfolio Investors in corporate bonds of an entity.
- To give effect to the directions of the RBI, the regulator said provisions of its June 2018 circulars with respect to exposure of more than 20 per cent "stands withdrawn with immediate effect.
- In a notification, the regulator said the restriction is being withdrawn in accordance with a circular issued by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
7. SBI launches doorstep banking for senior citizens, differently-abled
- Public lendor State Bank of India launched ‘Doorstep Banking’ for senior citizen customers over 70 years of age, differently-abled customers and infirm customers including visually impaired customers.
- Eligible customers can avail theses services with a nominal fee of Rs 100 per transaction for financial transactions and Rs 60 per transaction for non-financial transactions.
- Doorstep Banking Services are available to fully KYC compliant account holders, with a valid mobile number registered with the bank and residing within 5 km of radius from their home branch.
8. United States to set up six nuclear power plants in India
- US reaffirmed its strong support of India’s early membership in the Nuclear Suppliers Group. This commitment was made at the 9th round of the India-US Strategic Security Dialogue held in Washington DC
- India and US also exchanged views on a wide range of global security and nonproliferation challenges.
CRACK SBI PO 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI PO Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI PO Exam to guide you through your preparations.Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!