Current Affairs June 13, 2018
1. Punjab to install dust collectors in grain markets
- Punjab is all set to counter dust pollution in grain markets across the state with installation of dust collectors on nearly 50,000 grain cleaning machines, providing relief to 3,00,000 directly-affected workers.
- Pollution is the main reason of respiratory and lung diseases among labourers, farmers and commission agents as well as those living in area of grain markets.
- Under this project, Punjab Pollution Control Board (PPCB) has developed certain types of machines that collect the dust particles which pollute the air during the crops' cleaning process.
- There are 50,000 mechanical grain cleaners in Punjab and 6 workers work on a single machine making at least 300,000 workers directly affected by dust pollution. This machine's test in Asia's largest grain market in Khanna town was successful.
2. Union Earth Sciences ministry to study marine litter issue
- Union Ministry of Earth Sciences will start work on determination of marine litter and their sources along the country’s coastline.
- M Rajeevan (Secretary of Ministry of Earth Sciences) said that country had joined United Nations’ ‘Clean Seas’ programme.
- India and United States had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in 2008 to have scientific and technical cooperation in Earth observations and Earth sciences.
3. 12,000-yr-old rock painting found in Northeast China
- Archaeologists have confirmed that a rock painting discovered in Lesser Khingan Mountains in Northeast China’s Heilongjiang Province dates back 12,000 years.
- Zhao Pingchun (researcher with provincial institute of archeology) discovered that several images painted with ochre were discovered on a rock in city of Heihe. Preliminary studies showed that it is a scene of humans hunting.
- The rock paintings were made before extinction of the mammoth or at least 12,000 years ago. The paint is a mixture of ochre and animal glue, which has helped the artwork survive thousands of years.
4. Chief Minister inaugurated Green Mizoram Day on June 11
- Green Mizoram Day was observed on June 11 across Mizoram state with government employees, students and members of NGOs planting large number of trees.
- Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla inaugurated Green Mizoram Day 2018 at a function attended by his cabinet colleagues, legislators and senior government officials where they began ceremonial planting of trees along the river Chite in Aizawl.
- It is being organized every year on June 11 since 1999.
Click below to watch video session of Current Affairs June 13, 2018
5. Rebuilt blast furnace commissioned at Rourkela Steel Plant
- Chaudhary Birender Singh (Union Minister of Steel) dedicated rebuilt Blast Furnace-1 ‘Parvati’ of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) to the Nation which will boost its annual production capacity from 0.438 million tonnes to 1.015 million tonnes. Jual Oram (Union Tribal Affairs) was present on occasion.
- The blast furnace is rebuilt at a cost of about Rs 625 crore. The blast furnace was put down on August 6, 2013 for total rebuilding.
- ‘Parvati’ is the 1st Blast Furnace of SAIL (Steel Authority of India Ltd) that was dedicated to nation on February 3, 1959 by first Indian President Dr Rajendra Prasad.
6. India will host first BIMSTEC war games in September
- India will host first military exercise of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) group focusing on counter-terrorism in September.
- The main purpose of this exercise is to promote strategic alignment among member-states and to share best practices in the area of counter-terrorism.
- The exercise is scheduled to be held in Pune in second week of September.
- BIMSTEC was set up in 1997 and includes India, Bangladesh, Bhutan Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
7. Delhi assembly accepted full statehood proposal
- Delhi Vidhan Sabha accepted the resolution on full statehood for the national capital.
- Arvind Kejriwal (Delhi Chief Minister) asked Central Government to grant statehood before 2019 general elections.
- He also claimed that at least 100 colleges will be developed within five years if Delhi gets statehood.
8. Women’s hockey Spain beat Indian Women’s Hockey Team by 3-0 in opening game
- Indian Women's Hockey team lost in opening match of five-match series against Spain by 0-3 at Consejo Superior de Deportes Hockey Stadium in Madrid.
- Lola Riera scored a brace to seal the game for hosts and give them 1-0 lead in series.
- The tournament is a part of Rani Rampal-led Indian team's preparations for World Cup which will be played in London from July 21.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!